Options

T@b 400 Question

Does anyone know what the white vented unit under the shower controls in the bathroom is?  I assume it has something to do with the Alde.  The one in my old 400 used to get a little warm.  The one in my new 400 literally gets hot to touch!
BigGrover
2019 T@b 400 Boondock Lite
2018 Ram 1500 Quad Cab Hemi
Central Alabama

Comments

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,507
    edited January 2019
    Isn’t the bathroom floor heated in the 400?  

I vaguely remember something about a 2 chambered hot water system.  Nit sure if the 400 has the Alde flow system.  Could be that, too.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    BigGroverBigGrover Member Posts: 450
    edited January 2019
    From my experience the floor is heated cause I have gone in with bare feet and it was warmed.  The Alde unit itself is 6 or so feet from the shower wall.  The reservoir is on the wall in the closet right next to the shower. We are camping in what is now 38* weather.  The reservoir tank iiself is hot to touch as well.  It may all just be normal but want to be sure.
    BigGrover
    Central Alabama
  • Options
    PS the Flow system is a tank that holds a few liters of water.  It is on the side of the Alde unit and, as I understand it, works on propane when you set the boost function at the panel.  We do have it but are running the Alde on 2KW electric only griht now.  This is the coldest weather we have been out in with either 400.
    BigGrover
    Central Alabama
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    @BigGrover, it is a separate Alde heater for the bathroom (the Alde fins are inside).  The bathroom stays a comfy temp with the floor and the wall heater you are referring to. Mine does get hot to touch, but it feels good in the am to have a warm bathroom (as compared to the T@B 320 that I had to keep the bathroom door open at night to keep it sort of warm).  Yes, the glycol reservoir would be warm. 

Your new 400 would have the Flow system, giving you more hot water, but that would have nothing to do with the temp of the bathroom Alde heater. I turned my Flow off and I still haven’t run out of hot water. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    Thanks Verna, I had tried to adjust the mixer valve earlier because we only had a short burst of hot water at the kitchen sink and it went cold pretty quick.  I was afraid I may have over adjusted. 
    BigGrover
    Central Alabama
  • Options
    @BigGrover, I only adjusted mine once and I accept it as it is. My showers are warm and that helps me to wake up—friends know not to bother me before my shower.....;)
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    We usually shower in the bath house at the RV parks.  We aren't boondockers.  Just use the hot water for dishes and sometimes sponge baths.
    BigGrover
    Central Alabama
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    I spend most of my winter on solar power, with only a week or two with electric service. I’m happy and that’s what matters. 

We all camp the way we want, and that's what makes it fun. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    So true, I'd do the same but DW wants more amenities so we compromise.  Just out of curiosity, how much propane do you go through in a month during the winter?  Does the solar charge enough to run the fridge and Alde pump in addition to the lights?
    BigGrover
    Central Alabama
  • Options
    @BigGrover, I have a yearly campsite in a campground without electricity (except to the office building and restrooms). I do have city water to the 400 so I don’t need to use the water pump, and I use few of the built-in lights. I have four clear Luci lights (solar lights that I put outside every day for recharging). The Luci lights are placed so I have plenty of light inside. I use a set of battery operated tiny string of lights in the bathroom that shut off after about 5 minutes (only needed at night)

The fridge and ARB run as needed, as well as the spark needed for the Alde. I am warm at night, no skimping there as I come here to escape the cold winter weather back home. I do use the “Night” feature on the Alde to set back the nighttime temp about 8 degrees. I go to bed with the battery at about 12.9, and I get up with a reading of about 12.7. These dual 6 volt AGM batteries do very well as they are charged well before noon.

Propane usage is a bit more than on my T@B S Max. Depending on the nighttime temps, I am using 20 lbs of propane every 5 to 7 days. The propane is for cooking, Alde heating and water heater.  
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    Thanks Verna, good info.  
    BigGrover
    Central Alabama
  • Options
    N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    As mentioned, Alde convector (radiator) for the bathroom. I have heard the heated floor stated many times, BUT in all the factory tour videos I have NOT seen any photos of under floor heat. It might be warm just due to the loop around the unit to/from the Alde producing some residual heat, BUT AFAIK there are no heating convectors under the floor. Anybody no anything different?
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite