Production line issue

ecyfotoecyfoto Member Posts: 83
Ordered a 400 3 weeks ago and decided on a change to my exterior color choice last week. Let my dealer know, he contacted NuCamp and was told I either except my original choice or go back to the end of the line. That would add another 6 weeks to the delivery date even though my trailer isn't scheduled to begin its build for another 3 weeks. I've been told there isn't any exterior paneling inventory to accommodate me. That's a tough one to swallow. Any manufacturer/fabricator always has extra parts inventory. Production accidents happen so there's an immediate need to respond. Needless to say I'm not happy. Will be making some calls directly to the factory this week. I want to hear this reasoning directly from the lips of a company representative. 

Admin edit for I inappropriate language on a family friendly forum. 
2019 T@B 400 Silver/Black
2018 Chevy Colorado Z71 Duramax oil burner
Tampa, Florida

Comments

• jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,389
    edited January 2019
    How disappointing for you! No one wants to wait to get their new T@b.

Maybe this video will shed some light on the delay. Bear in mind, they were likely impacted by issues related to imports due to the government shutdown (my speculation.)

https://youtu.be/nqSgJQ6cmt8

I am not at all surprised to hear there are delays with a special order. The concept if special orders and .as production are inherently at odds with each other. I know they used to and may still work with other businesses when it comes to custom paint so the answer you were given, while disappointing, is logical.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• ecyfotoecyfoto Member Posts: 83
    jkjenn  Well, there's nothing custom about the exterior colors. The standard colors are either silver or white. I want to switch from silver to white.
    Tampa, Florida
    edited January 2019
    ecyfoto said:
    jkjenn  Well, there's nothing custom about the exterior colors. The standard colors are either silver or white. I want to switch from silver to white.
    If your order is custom, which if it is not being bought straight from a dealer, it is custom, than it follows the same production schedule. 

Also, you will not get a factory response on the forum. You would need to reach out directly to the factory. 

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• tabiphiletabiphile Member Posts: 424
    ecyfoto said:
    That's a tough one to swallow. Any manufacturer/fabricator always has extra parts inventory. Production accidents happen so there's an immediate need to respond. 
    In modern production planning the objective is "lean" inventory...lean means no excess stock to the floor, no inventory carried or stored and ideally materials delivered to the line as needed. Kanban material is replaced as used in some higher tempo factories and inventory is backflushed or updated literally as soon as the part is used. So if they are telling you that this change cannot be accomodated, presumably their production control has looked at their upcoming requirements and concluded that they cannot accommodate the change in the current schedule with the available inventory. Who knows, your change may be one of several they are dealing with. Your best bet is to call and ask...but when you do take into consideration that it unreasonable to expect them to have stock on hand ....in good modern factories it doesn't work like that anymore.
  • ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,396
    While such changes may seem simple and easy from our end, I don't think it is fair to assume out of hand that such is the case in a modern production facility. I'm sorry your camper is delayed, but you changed your mind after the agreement was signed and wheels of production had been set in motion.
    Regardless, I am curious to hear the response directly from nuCamp. Please update after you talk to them.
    2015 T@B S
    I'm mostly frustrated how a delay will ruin my travel plans. Had set my sights on chasing the desert blooming season out west. It'll be over by the time I take delivery of the trailer.
    Tampa, Florida
  • grubbstergrubbster Member Posts: 114
    We have the silver 400 and the color is beautiful.  Just sayin', maybe you can live with it.
    2023 F-150 Powerboost hybrid
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock
    ecyfoto said:
    I'm mostly frustrated how a delay will ruin my travel plans. Had set my sights on chasing the desert blooming season out west. It'll be over by the time I take delivery of the trailer.
    Understood. The hard part is deciding what's more important, your planned trip or the color of your sidewalls.
    As a general rule I'd pick an experience over a thing, so personally I'd slurp it up and go for the trip. However, I admit I'm highly biased toward the silver.  ;-)
    2015 T@B S
    I was, too, but I like that the white hides all of the white plastic bits on the exterior including the door frame. I ordered mine with black trim and no graphics.
    Tampa, Florida
    There's an old thread here somewhere about at least one member who removed and painted all those white bits to match the silver sidewalls. More work than I'd like to do, but the result was pretty impressive. Maybe you can have it all!
    2015 T@B S
    Scooon.ttG 
    I was just thinking the same this afternoon. It's the doorframe that would be the most tricky. I'd paint that black and all the other bits a matching silver/grey. I'm now leaning more to the experience I planned on as opposed to the color. Desert is going to be sooooo impressive this year due to all the rain this winter.
    Tampa, Florida
  • VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    The desert has been gorgeous all of December to now with all of the blooming bushes and flowers, and even grass growing where it has been bare sand for the past 5 years. I wish I could stay for the bloom!  You won’t be sorry to see the bloom, as the rain has continued to fall. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
    Very cool. Some year I will make it out for a bloom....when I can give up the fall foliage...or when I don't  have to pick between them!