Options

Alde winterizing question

Just wondering if folks are leaving the yellow pressure relief/drain valves in the open position after draining the hw tank?  I am concerned it might ultimately lead to leaks by weaking the springs in the valves.
BigGrover
2019 T@b 400 Boondock Lite
2018 Ram 1500 Quad Cab Hemi
Central Alabama

Comments

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,513
    I think the nuCamp manual included the recommendation to leave your drains open, probably to leave room for water expansion with freezing.  If you do that, you need to remember to close them before hooking up to water😀

We thoroughly drained and blew out the plumbing until it was dry, dry, dry and  we closed our drains.  Spencer the Alde rep made it clear that, even if a little water is left in the Alde tank, it is unlikely to cause problems with a freeze.  
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,454
    You and I apparently ponder the same the same great questions of the universe, @BigGrover.  :-)
    Problem is, once I move on I tend to stop thinking about it. Too cold to go check at the moment, but IIRC I leave the valves open for several days but ultimately close them before the big sleep. Realistically, I doubt it make a bit of difference. 
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    After I have winterized, I always return the valves to the summer position so I can unwinterize easily as I am always on the road when I winterize and dewinterize. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    targtarg Member Posts: 81
    I also return them to normal mode right after blowing out the lines. Don’t wanna leave anytjing open for the ladybugs and daubers that will come in later. Plus, I’d forget to reset them later. And, we’re still camping through the winter anyway so it’s just simpler to keep them in camping mode. 
    The capacity to learn is a gift; The ability to learn is a skill; The willingness to learn is a choice. | -REBEC OF GINAZ
    2019 T@B 320S BD Lite, Jeep TJUR, Jeep JT