sewer hose storage

Found a great, inexpensive sewer hose storage solution.  This has a large enough diameter for the end attachments to fit.  Successful project...works and no one got hurt!

Comments

• dsatworkdsatwork Member Posts: 744
    2017 Tab Basic S Silver on Silver with Sofitel Cushions....upgraded from 2013 LG 5W....Towed by a 2016 Sorento V6 AWD w/5000lb tow capacity. Dave S. married to Jen aka SanDiegoGal We pull a Tab but live in a 2014 Airstream International Signature 27 FBQ...Talk about embracing a trailer lifestyle.
  • CyclonicCyclonic Member Posts: 1,232
    Looks good, nicely done.  I trust no animals were harmed either.

States the T@Bpole has camped, so far ;)
    Nathan & Becky... 2013 Ford F150 FX4 TAB HLR... 2012 LG T@B T@Bpole.
    Sterling, VA
  • drpprmtdrpprmt Member Posts: 117
    Decided to drill 4 small holes in the bottom of the tube for ventilation.  Forgot one thing....remove sewer hose first.  So much for a successful project. 
  • jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,389
    edited February 2017
    drpprmt said:
    Decided to drill 4 small holes in the bottom of the tube for ventilation.  Forgot one thing....remove sewer hose first.  So much for a successful project. 

I love it. We all make these kind of faux pas. Looks great.

Question: why did you put on the opposite side of where the sewer gates are located?

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

note to self read this post before drilling any holes
    2017 Tab Basic S Silver on Silver with Sofitel Cushions....upgraded from 2013 LG 5W....Towed by a 2016 Sorento V6 AWD w/5000lb tow capacity. Dave S. married to Jen aka SanDiegoGal We pull a Tab but live in a 2014 Airstream International Signature 27 FBQ...Talk about embracing a trailer lifestyle.
  • ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    :) dsatwork, Don't feel like the Lone Ranger on that one. I'm sure there are plenty of us [me included] that have experienced much the same. Did make me smile though.
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

I wanted to put it on the side where the drains were but there was not room.  I wanted the 48 in so the hose and attachments would fit so I had to put it on the other side.
  • LauraReyLauraRey Member Posts: 338
    @drpprmt Did you bolt it to the frame?  I have a similar (but not identical) tube.  I don't really want to drill mounting holes, but was considering strapping it on to the frame.  

Red and White, 2017 Max S being towed by a 2014 Honda Ridgeline.  Hello Mountains!
    Ya, I drilled it to the frame.  I asked out dealer and they told me it would be OK for small holes.  drilled small pilot holes then used sheet metal self taping.  Only the top holes fit on the frame so I am going to also use 2 black zip ties. 
  • LauraReyLauraRey Member Posts: 338
    @drpprmt  I did a test fit, and yes, only the top holes will fit on mine as well.  

Red and White, 2017 Max S being towed by a 2014 Honda Ridgeline.  Hello Mountains!
    It seems very sturdy just using the top holes but I want to make sure it is secure.  I also use suspenders with my belt.
  • Mariner459Mariner459 Member Posts: 146
    Anyone installed one of these type tubes on 2017 Max S?  No bumper and looks like putting it transverse under tongue would block access to dump pipes.  Really née to get rhino hose and extension out of storage container.  
  • VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Anyone installed one of these type tubes on 2017 Max S?  No bumper and looks like putting it transverse under tongue would block access to dump pipes.  Really née to get rhino hose and extension out of storage container.  
    I put mine along the passenger side of the tongue almost two years ago with two screws and 2 UV protected tie wraps and it is one of my handiest mods. While at a dump station, loosen the screw-on cap, pull the hose out, let it slip onto the ground, slide it under the tongue, do your dumping business, spray out the inside of the hose, squash the hose, slide it under the tongue, put the end into the tube, slide it in, screw the cap on and you are done. No hoses in your vehicle, no hoses in your tub. 20' of hose will fit in a 64" tube. 

Do a search (upper right corner of this page) on sewer hoses or sewer storage and you'll find others who have done this mod. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
    Yes this is on a 2017 Basic S (Max just states how it's equipped)
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007S3LC0E/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• SueBCSueBC Member Posts: 70
    edited July 2018
    I'd prefer to secure it just with straps. Would there be any issue with that? - except maybe 64 inch would be too long as it extend right to the front. I'd be using primarily just to 'dump' - How long a hose would a 46 inch hold? - would it be long enough?

SueBC
    British Columbia, Canada
  • VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    @SueBC, 64” is just long enough for my 15’ and a 5’. I’m afraid a 46” might only hold one 10’ hose. The 64” inch extends to behind the step on the passenger side. I wouldn't bother with screws, but just use the straps and make sure they are tight. The hose and tube are so light that there is no noticeable weight difference to adding it to the frame. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • SueBCSueBC Member Posts: 70
    Verna said:
    @SueBC, 64” is just long enough for my 15’ and a 5’. I’m afraid a 46” might only hold one 10’ hose. The 64” inch extends to behind the step on the passenger side. I wouldn't bother with screws, but just use the straps and make sure they are tight. The hose and tube are so light that there is no noticeable weight difference to adding it to the frame. 

Thanks Verna a 64 inch it will be :)
    SueBC
    British Columbia, Canada
  • NanNan Member Posts: 7
    For those folk securing the tube with just straps, what size zip tie is being used?
    Bossed around by Italian Greyhounds! Traveling in 2018 CS-S pulled by a 2015 Honda Odyssey. Loving all life's adventures! 
  • Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,460
    I think we used 14 inch or better.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • MouseketabMouseketab Member Posts: 1,230
    I just mounted the expanding one to the front of my trailer (2007 Dutchmen Clamshell, no front bin.) Added some PVC trim as a shim so the doors would clear the trailer trim.

It was a replacement for the one that broke when we hit something in the road.

Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2007 Dutchmen T@B Clamshell #2741
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    2021 F-150 502A Lariat SuperCrew, 3.5 EcoBoost 4x2
    Harvest, AL
  • HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,491
    edited August 2018

@Nan I used metal straps with nut and bolt. The last thing I want to worry about is zip tie failure on the road. I picked it all up at the local hardware store. I also drilled small drainage holes about every three inches along the bottom, which also helps with ventilation. Do this when the tube is empty. Someone back a ways had to replace his sewer hose when he left it in the tube while drilling holes. Good luck!
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,460
    I agree with @Homebodyatheart.  We secured ours using 1 screw into the frame at each end, plus the plastic zip ties.  If you are only using straps, the tube will be much more secure with the metal straps.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • NanNan Member Posts: 7
    Thanks everyone for all the great tips!😊
    Bossed around by Italian Greyhounds! Traveling in 2018 CS-S pulled by a 2015 Honda Odyssey. Loving all life's adventures! 
  • melpetermelpeter Member Posts: 112
    I would prefer not to spend $40 on a 64" sewer hose storage tube. I keep hoping to find a pvc drain pipe to strap to my tongue but my hoses don't fit inside a 4" tube. A 6" tube is humongous! I see that some of you have pvc pipe tubes mounted to the tongue. Your sewer hoses must be much smaller than mine, which have 5+ inch diameter end fittings. Looks like I'll either have to spend money on the $40 tube or buy smaller diameter hoses. ideas?
    2017 Tab 320 S
    2014 Mazda CX 5
    Traveling very light to be kind to my transmission.
    @melpeter I used pvc pipe and usedmy dremel to file down the knobs on the connection end so it just fits in the tube end. There’s enough left to hang onto. Hope this pic helps! 
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red

Yes! Thank you. I knew there was a genius out there!
    2017 Tab 320 S
    2014 Mazda CX 5
    @melpeter thanks! Genius might be pushing it a bit, but I enjoy being creative and handy with stuff. I bought the tube, end cap and top cap with screw on lid. Glued the two end pieces on, drilled a line of holes about every three inches along the length for ventilation and drainage. Used metal straps with nut and bolt to secure the tube to the tongue (ok I had help with this part, thank you @Dalehelman!). Some use heavy duty zip ties which would be simpler, but I never want to worry about them aging and breaking when I’m towing. In retrospect I might have spray painted it all black to blend in, but whites ok too. Have fun with it! Oh, and I keep all the accessory pieces in a bag in a dollar store basket bungeed to my propane tank in the tub. Stuff I might need but haven’t needed so far. 
  • ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,391
    @melpeter, I certainly prefer creative and economical homemade solutions to typical mass-produced junk. However, what ultimately sold me on shelling out for the slightly larger Valterra holder was that it would accomodate my sewer hose with the elbow, along with the adapter-thingy so long as it was detached from the hose.
    For me, being able to stash all my poop equipment in one contained location was top priority. YMMV.
    Some people have made sewer hose carriers using square PVC fence posts, though I'm not sure if those would accommodate all the fittings either.
    2015 T@B S
     :) 😊👍🏻
    2017 Tab 320 S
    2014 Mazda CX 5
  • ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,391
    I should add that you don't strictly need the elbow and adapter. Before I upgraded to a RhinoFlex I used a cheap little 10' hose that came with the camper. That said, inserting (and holding) the loose end of the hose in the dump hole required a certain degree of limb coordination that is not required with the helpful fittings.  :-)
    2015 T@B S