Brake controller

I just purchased 2018 T@B 320 CS-S and need a brake controller.  Local RV maint shop recommends CURT ECHO wireless controller.  Any experience with this CURT or other recommendations?  They are not experienced with the Prodigy.

Comments

• Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,460
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • JEBJEB Member Posts: 266
    If you want to go crazy, look into the Tuson DirecLink.  It uses an entirely different technology than any other brake controller I am aware of.  Instead of a pendulum, which relies on inertia, the DIrecLink plugs directly into the OBDII port on your tow vehicle and reads speed, RPMs, brake pressure and other data directly from the vehicle’s onboard computer.  Once dialed in, braking between the tow vehicle and the trailer is seamless.

https://tusonrvbrakes.com/collections/direclink-brake-controller
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
    2019 Chevy Colorado Z71 Duramax
  • targtarg Member Posts: 81
    edited March 2019
    SallySwan said:
    I just purchased 2018 T@B 320 CS-S and need a brake controller.  Local RV maint shop recommends CURT ECHO wireless controller.  Any experience with this CURT or other recommendations?  They are not experienced with the Prodigy.
    An RV shop that can't put in a Prodigy?  Run away regardless of what you choose to use.  For most vehicles, you can get a plug-n-play pigtail for the Prodigy series.  Seriously, it's like a 5 minute install.  Even if there's not a PnP pigtail available for your vehicle, doing a manual wire splice install is still a 30 minute job.  If your RV shop can't do it, I would not trust them to do anything.
    I know people use them every day, but no way no how would I ever trust a wireless controller.
    The capacity to learn is a gift; The ability to learn is a skill; The willingness to learn is a choice. | -REBEC OF GINAZ
    2019 T@B 320S BD Lite, Jeep TJUR, Jeep JT

• Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,460
    @SallySwan, do you mean they were not familiar with the Prodigy RF brake controller or the hard wired Prodigy?
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • GeonTracieGeonTracie Member Posts: 27
    https://getautowbrake.com/
    Put this on my 2018 T@B Outback. Easy and works great.

2018 T@B Outback
    2016 Jeep JKU TV
  • klengerklenger Member Posts: 307
    ^^  That's sweet. I wish I'd known about that before.  I have the Prodigy RF model, but I think I like this one better.
    T@B 320 manuals and electrical drawings
    Considering a 2023 TaB 400 with the full Lithium option, 
    2022 Jeep Gladiator High Altitude, Tow Package.  
  • targtarg Member Posts: 81
    Hmmm. That autowbrake is interesting. Seems like if you had a trailer-side power source, a four wire flat would even work. Or, as long as you never forgot to turn them on, seems like you could even use your running lights as a power source and have it work with a four wire. That really opens up some possibilities for TVs. (Of course, doing either of those would be risky in my opinion.)
    The capacity to learn is a gift; The ability to learn is a skill; The willingness to learn is a choice. | -REBEC OF GINAZ
    2019 T@B 320S BD Lite, Jeep TJUR, Jeep JT

• GeonTracieGeonTracie Member Posts: 27
    targ, I have it wired so it receives power from my tv while running, and since that line is hooked to power the battery going down the road I’ll always have power to it.

2018 T@B Outback
    2016 Jeep JKU TV
  • BigGroverBigGrover Member Posts: 450
    They are just trying to sell a higher priced unit to make more money.ake I'd find a shop that installs hitches, they wi ll also do the brake controller.  Better yet go to Etrailer and watch their install video.  Order the one for your vehicle.  Took me less than 10 mknutes to install my lasl two!
    BigGrover
    2019 T@b 400 Boondock Lite
    2018 Ram 1500 Quad Cab Hemi
    Central Alabama