Options

Charging Battery with TV

I have a 2019 Jeep Cherokee as a TV which has an A/C outlet in the cargo area.     I was wondering if there is any problem with plugging a battery charger into the TV A/C outlet and connecting to the T@b400 battery to charge the trailer battery.    I would leave the TV engine running as to not discharge the TV battery.    I don’t know if there is a technical reason why this would not work or how long it would actually take to charge the battery using this method.     Any comments would be appreciated.    Thanks!
2019 Jeep Cherokee pulling a 2018 T@b 400.
Victoria, British Columbia.

Comments

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,507
    Do you have a built in inverter?
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    WilliamAWilliamA Member Posts: 154
    If memory serves, the Cherokee inverter is 150 watts.  Also, you are converting 12V to 110V and back to 12V.  ?  Loss would equal output.  12V to 12V is 5 times more efficient.

WilliamA 
    2021 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
    2017 T@G XL
    Can generally be found around west-central Wisconsin.  
  • Options
    4ncar4ncar Member Posts: 1,072
    I have the same, I believe the outlet has a. 900watt Max spec. So depends on what your battery charger uses... use the GC has a built in inverter.
    TV- '16 Chevy Colorado LT Crew Cab-DuraMax
    2018 320S Outback
  • Options
    webers3webers3 Member Posts: 404
    edited April 2019
    The inverter on Jeep Cherokee is 150Watt max @WilliamA indicated, why wouldn't you connect the T@B via the 7 pin connector to the TV? That's what I do with my 2019 JC, charges whether I am driving or parked with engine running.
    2017 T@B 320S   2019 Jeep Cherokee - Southern Connecticut
  • Options
    4ncar4ncar Member Posts: 1,072
    Ya, he did say 150, didn’t he! What was I reading?
    TV- '16 Chevy Colorado LT Crew Cab-DuraMax
    2018 320S Outback
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,442
    There's some debate as to how effective using 12V DC from your T/V is for charging your T@B battery. Individual results may depend on the vehicle, generator output, charge line gauge, etc.
    I'm no expert on the topic, but I can't see any reason why plugging a small charger into your T/V inverter would be any different from plugging it in anywhere else. Only thing is, depending upon how long it takes to get a full charge, you might be running your T/V for quite a while. All that gas might eventually pay for a small solar panel.  ;-)
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    CbusguyCbusguy Member Posts: 771
    Too many variables to begin to guess.     First the how long depends on the charger you are using....is it a 3 amp or a 30 amp....then will your 150 watt inverter support it without blowing the fuses or burning itself up.  

The next is what is the output of your alternator at idle?   most alternators do not put out full current at idle,  just a small portion.    you might end up with a dead battery on the TV.

a bit of perspective......if you use a three amp charger on your depleted 100 amp hour battery it would take 30 hours of idling to recharge it.   

I intend on doing something similar,  but only when changing locations.   I have upgraded my alternator to a power bastards  alternator 250 amps and 125 amps at idle.    I figure I could get 1000 amp hours into my batterys over the course of a day driving.    
    2009 GMC Canyon,   3.7 liter 
    2020 320s Boondock lite, With Lots of mods
  • Options
    CbusguyCbusguy Member Posts: 771
    That is why a battery isolator is a good idea.   This is my intention to use one of these.   Link
    2009 GMC Canyon,   3.7 liter 
    2020 320s Boondock lite, With Lots of mods
  • Options
    DanLDanL Member Posts: 18
    Thanks for all the comments and information.    Much appreciated!
    2019 Jeep Cherokee pulling a 2018 T@b 400.
    Victoria, British Columbia.