Options

LP tank broken connector

took my LP tank off for the first time and installed a tank sensor on the bottom that measures how full your tank is-since I've only used it a few times for cooking it is pretty full\heavy-I had to take it off n on about 4 times because the sensor which is supposed to stay on with magnets kept slipping off center when I would turn the tank back over-I finally duct taped it in place and it was reading 100% full on my iPhone app-never could get my stove to light after-didn't seem like any gas was getting through-yes I opened the line-so turned off took apart n looked inside connection where uh-oh broken white plastic ring\washer -anybody know what it is called and where I could get one to replace-it is 3\4 inch across in diameter white ring fits under connection-i'am assuming that this is why not working-it must have to be there to make a seal?? I don't know if I broke it by tightening too tight?? or if it cracked from the cold weather-found the other half of it on the driveway underneath   when I took it off the first time it didn't seem like it was on very tight

Comments

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,530
    edited April 2019
    Kay, do you mean part of the plastic fitting seen here?

Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    kaylevine1kaylevine1 Member Posts: 165
    little white ring that fits down inside the big black screw on round thing on the left-I have a picture but don't know how to post a picture
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    EDITED FOR PICTURE SIZE.  Sharon

• Options
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,530
    @kaylevine1, you can buy the hose and connector at places that sell gas supplies (grills, tanks, etc).  That will be the easiest.  Not sure that white, plastic washer/collar is replaceable.  It is probably a standard size.  
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    @kaylevine1, I recommend you not go for the cheapest connector hose. Try for a quality hose. 

The one that came from the factory on ours was always quite stiff.

For not much higher cost, you can find one designed to be more flexible in colder temps, as well as with better safety check-valves. 

I'll see if I can find a link for you.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    MB Sturgis makes a quality hose, carried by etrailer.com.

You'll need to match the connector end, and length.

Our replacement corresponded to this following one, but ours needed to be a little longer than the original factory one that you have (we moved our propane tank), so measure your length first.

https://www.etrailer.com/Propane/MB_Sturgis/100575-15-MBS.html
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    For the $10 or so it costs for a replacement hose, I would just replace whole thing, you don't want a potential gas leak to ruin your day.
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
  • Options
    after consultation with a local hardware who are pretty knowledgeable and keep a lot of small parts it seems I am going to have to replace with a whole new hose etc.-like many of you have said-since I have put in a work order at the factory to replace my tongue box with one of the the diamond plate ones during ucamp19 I may just see if they will replace it then since they will have the box off and easy access-I can do without till then-all the places I have reserved before that have electric and all I will need it for will be the stove-I only use that in bad weather as I like to cook over open fire with my cast iron grill.  I have a microwave, instapot and a toaster oven-I would have no idea how to hook it-I guess I could get down on the ground and look underneath to see how it hooks-then i'd have to get up again-never easy

• Options
    chanw-yes that looks like it-don't know about length though-will have to get down under to measure-ugh
  • Options
    Is your Tab a clamshell @kaylevine1?

I don't know about the clamshell hose, but the regular Tab's hose is a short one, completely accessible from the front battery/propane box top.

Easy to change too, requires an open end wrench or two.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    I have a t@b 400 yea after looking it hooks just behind the box either 12 or 15 in looks like I will need a wrench-of course it is raining again-will measure and try to get old one off this weekend I may just order one from the link-I am NOT handy dandy but unless I can't get the old one off this looks simple enough-I did manage to put up a Kleenex box holder inside in the bed area that had to be screwed in-otherwise everything I have added have been stick on or over door\ledge hooks-so far all the hooks\basket I put up with the command strips have stayed up in spite of the 100 plus degree temps last summer
    -I keep two small dehumidifier rechargeable things at all times
  • Options
    RollingBnBRollingBnB Member Posts: 322
    I replaced mine with a steel braided hose since the box became a catch all. Don’t want to risk nicking the hose. Only cost a few bucks more.
    2020 Tiffin Open Road
    2020 Nissan Versa Toad 
    Alan & Patty
    Southern Az
  • Options
    Well I ordered one from trailer but it it doesn’t fit the light green one is mine with a smaller lumen fitting
  • Options
    It looks like you need the inverted flare fitting that I pointed to in my post above. You received an NPT (national pipe thread) fitting, perhaps?
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    they said it wouldn't be cost effective to take it back-so I ordered one somewhere else with quicker shipping-came in today-hope it fits-will check it when I get home
  • Options
    got new hose in-changed it last eve-easy peasy-my stove works again!!-thanks to all who contributed I could not have done it without your advise!!!-problem solved
  • Options
    Easy peasy! Good to hear! 

You can test the connection for leaks using soapy water, looking for bubbles (use a q-tip to daub it on there). 
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    well-I camped last weekend but didn't ever need to use the stove-heated up water for coffee in the microwave and cooked other meals in my portable firepit on my cast iron grill-Sat. eve a couple of older guys who had been fishing and caught catfish brought me a plate of fried catfish and a cobette of corn !! campers are such nice people-the one old guy volunteered to back my trailer in for me and another man was suddenly there standing behind guiding him in!! I had no problem hitching n unhitching for the first time by myself.  my only problem was that I couldn't find the key for the bicycle lock that locks my surge protector on at the 30 amp outlet on the side of my house so I had to go without-I ordered another for travel and figured i'd just leave the one permanently at the house-but then I found the keys on my dresser-how they got their-not sure-but now I have a spare surge protector-probably a good idea anyhow