Options

Water coming out of 400 city water connection

grubbstergrubbster Member Posts: 114
I am using the water for the first time in my 400.  I have been using the city water for the past day but decided to fill the tank and try the pump.  After disconnecting the city and filling the tank, I turned on the pump and water started pouring out of the city water connection.  Any idea what the issue is?  Is there a valve that is supposed to prevent that?
2023 F-150 Powerboost hybrid
2019 T@B 400 Boondock

Comments

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,506
    There is often a check valve that prevents water flowing out of the city water connection and that can be faulty.  I am not sure how distal the valve is to the connection, but see if you can feel anything just inside the outlet.  This may not have an impact on the check valve, but were you using a pressure regulator when hooked up to city water?
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    Yes, pressure regulator with city water.  I hooked the city water back up and turned on the pump and it shuts off in a few seconds as expected.  Any idea where the check valve is located?  Is this easy to fix or is it a service issue?  Not very happy as this is only the second time out and first time trying the water.
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock
  • Options
    I do not know how to access that check valve.  Maybe someone with a 400 will chime in.  Did the dealer demonstrate the water system?
  • Options
    klengerklenger Member Posts: 307
    On my 320, the check valve is built into the city water connector.  My leaks, but only drips slowly, and the pump cycles maybe every 10-15 minutes.  I'd love to replace mine, but it is in a very difficult location to get to, so I'll wait till I take it to the dealer for more serious work.  You should be able to do a temporary fix by installing some kind of plug in the line.  I had to try a couple of options because the first plug I tried didn't seal up tight.

I believe this is the one on my 320.  Note that this connection can be ordered with either a male or female pipe thread fitting for the inside water line connection.  I believe mine is a male fitting on the port, female on the inside water line.

https://www.amazon.com/CAMPER-MOTORHOME-TRAILER-MARINE-FLANGE/dp/B017MONLP2/
    T@B 320 manuals and electrical drawings
    Considering a 2023 TaB 400 with the full Lithium option, 
    2022 Jeep Gladiator High Altitude, Tow Package.  
  • Options
    grubbster said:
    Yes, pressure regulator with city water.  I hooked the city water back up and turned on the pump and it shuts off in a few seconds as expected.  Any idea where the check valve is located?  Is this easy to fix or is it a service issue?  Not very happy as this is only the second time out and first time trying the water.
    @grubbster, be aware, if you run the pump while your city water is pressurizing your lines, you run the risk of damaging your pump.

@klenger has the right idea until you can get the city connection repaired.
  • Options
    BrianZBrianZ Member Posts: 1,763
    I believe you are correct, @klenger, at least for the 320 models.
    Here's my photo of what it looks like inside our 320S..

You can see the male threads at the check valve, which appears to be plastic, vs. the Amazon part which appears to be brass.  I hope they made it more accessible in the 400 model, because I can barely get the tip of one finger on it reaching through the hatch behind the toilet.  One needs long arms to get to it, and there is no flexible tubing at the end, so you cannot pull the line out from the outside for servicing.
    -Brian in Chester, Virginia
    TV: 2005 Toyota Sienna LE (3.3L V6)
    RV: 2018 T@B 320S, >100 mods 
  • Options
    @BrianZ, I know it is a reach, but is it possible to disconnect the pex to free up the check valve connection and pull it through to the outside for replacement?
  • Options
     Maybe they can access it from underneath the 400?

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Sharon, there’s no access under the 400. There is an access in the bottom of the closet inside.

I guess I’m going to need to “see” a check valve to understand better what is involved in replacing it. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    @Verna, can you see a water line connection to the outside wall in that closet that looks like the one in my photo above?
    Assuming you can get to that water line's connection to the outside port from the inside, then it should just be a matter of unscrewing the knurled female connector sleeve that screws onto it from the inside.  Then the port can be replaced from the outside.  I'm assuming the check valve is built into the outside city water port assembly.
     If that inside connector sleeve is easily accessible from the inside, 400 owners are a lot better off than 320S owners who would need very long arms.

• Options
    edited April 2019
    @Sharon_is_SAM, if you could reach the pex tubing, then you could simply unscrew the connector to release the line from the port.

If you look closely at the photos of the fresh water port at klenger's Amazon link, you can see in the middle two photos views from inside & out of what appears to me to be a check valve inside the port which would prevent water flow from inside to outside.

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    @BrianZ, I have to look later as I’m not in a position to empty the closet right now. 

The closet set is approximately 19” from the floor and approximately 26” from the outside door. The hatch entry is about the size of a cargo door (going by memory on this measurement) and even I should be able to reach the outside wall where the water connection is. 

To those with 400’s who are looking, caution, the rear of the converter is just below the hatch opening—there’s 110V and 12V there, although the bare ends of the wiring should not be exposed. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    @BrianZ, yeah I see that now.  No need to involve the pex.  Well, maybe Verna can identify access.
  • Options
    I can't access that space from the closet since I have the 3 way fridge.  I did remove the drawer under the fridge and I can see where the city water line comes into the camper.  Not sure what the check valve would look like.  I'll get out there and try to take a picture in a bit.  Just pulled back into the driveway from camping.
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock
  • Options
    The check valve is most likely integrated into the fresh water port since most every system needs one.  Nothing else to see.

• Options
    edited November 2019
    @grubbster, I'm not very familiar with the 400, but aren't we talking about the opposite side of the trailer?..

This is a screen grab from the Air Force Guy's factory tour video.  I'm trying to show two possible routes to getting at where I thought the valve was located below the closet floor level on the outer wall.  If you could get into that corner cabinet might be better access.

Great if you can see the line entering from the inside, because that's where the connecting nut would need to be unscrewed to release the line (need to drain & blow out all lines first!) in order to remove the port from the outside for replacement. 
  • Options
    Here are pictures under the refrigerator where the connections enter the camper.  I assume the brass visible in the close up shot is the valve.

2019 T@B 400 Boondock
  • Options
    Our dealer is 3 hours away so until we can get this looked at I am getting one of these to put in the city water inlet.  Hopefully that will work.

2019 T@B 400 Boondock
  • Options
    I think someone else did the same thing.
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,438
    @grubbster, that looks like a good solution to me--maybe even a permanent one. Who needs a check valve if the connection in question is securely capped?
    What's that thing called and where did you find it?
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    @ScottG, you can search for a male hose plug but you may find some strange things on the open internet.  I confined my search to Amazon and came up with https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004RCUTFI/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock
  • Options
    I tried one of those first and it did not seal properly, so I added some other quick disconnect fittings I had and then it sealed up.  Hope yours work by itself.  
  • Options
    Or maybe use some teflon plumbing tape.
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,438
    Too funny, @grubbster.
    If nothing else I'd like this just to replace the original friction fit cap which seems to stay in place long enough for me reach the end of my driveway.  :-)
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    Got the plug and tried it today.  Works great.  The water pump now pressurizes and shuts off.  That should work until I can get back to the dealer to have the valve replaced under warranty.  
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock
  • Options
    Sweet, cheap and easy!