Arizona - Tom's Camperland- Dealer Commendation

morey000morey000 Member Posts: 155
edited November 2019 in Testimonials
Their Mesa location looks to have sold a couple dozen T@Bs in the past few months. In fact, the day I was there (a Wednesday), I saw their last three T@Bs go out the door.  2020's expected in the next few weeks.  Nice showroom and big inside area for trailer display in the back.  The salesman I dealt with was - unobtrusive.  When walking around his lot to explore the products a couple months ago, he was helpful and answered my questions.  Follow-up was limited and it's not like he did anything to go out of his way or to encourage me to buy. He was also not engaging regarding use of the trailer, advising, etc.  Really pretty hands off. He didn't act "hungry" - perhaps this is intentional, because- after 2 months I ended up paying his first price offer (which was a fair, but not 'wow' price I think).  

Made an appointment to purchase, and other than having to wait 20min for them to bring the T@B under cover to go through the walk-though with me- they had the unit all cleaned up, in perfect shape, and with a change I had requested installed.  The salesman seems to 'own' the transaction, but another guy from the shop did the walk-through.  He was terrific. He really knew his T@B320, where every switch and valve was- and could explain how to use stuff.  Gave me excellent tips.  He even gave me info on a great way to run my Solar power lines and where to put the charge controller, and how to get to everything.  He has clearly taken these units apart.  

The dealership included a starter kit: leveling blocks, sewer hoses, fresh water hose, pressure regulator, electrical cable with 110V adapter, RV toilet paper, black water tank fluid... maybe a few other things.  haven't even opened the boxes yet.  Not sure if that's a 'nice touch' or something that NuCamp requires?

I came ready with a hitch, adjusted to the right level (16") due to the info I got on this forum, and my Prodigy Brake controller installed.  Hooked up everything, looked good, power, brake lights, turn signals... ooops.  Prodigy isn't detecting the trailer.  I had my hitch installed by my local Uhaul... and they messed up the install (long story here which I won't go into).  Anyway- the wires were there, under the rear bumper of my car, but needed to be connected to the 7-pin connector.  They were able to fit me in the shop that afternoon.  Gave me a loaner car so I could go out and have lunch.  And, while they were busy, so it took a few hours, they fixed my wiring (no charge) and got me out the door.  They didn't have to do that. 

I've been in and out of a lot of RV dealerships in the past year, and Tom's Camperland in Mesa is the only one I've been to that seems to specialize in small travel trailers (and pickup truck campers).  Seems to be a decent operation.  I've heard that if you don't buy your RV from them, they are less helpful to go the extra mile for you tho'.  They did right by me so far.  
Silver on Silver, 320S '19 Outback Lite

Comments

• CbusguyCbusguy Member Posts: 771
    It is always great to hear storys about this level of service.   
    2009 GMC Canyon,   3.7 liter 
    2020 320s Boondock lite, With Lots of mods
  • klengerklenger Member Posts: 307
    I highly recommend them.  Lots of members here who bought from Tom's.
    T@B 320 manuals and electrical drawings
    Considering a 2023 TaB 400 with the full Lithium option, 
    2022 Jeep Gladiator High Altitude, Tow Package.  
  • VikingsVikings Member Posts: 147
    We chose to buy from Tom's in late '15 due to price, with delivery January '16...yes, price so good it was worth the 2000 mile drive from home.  I was prepared to install our Prodigy wireless in the parking lot but they offered to do it, and paired it with our vehicle.  Nothing but good things to say about Tom's.   
    Kim & Mary Kay,  2016 CS-S,  Spokane, WA

Map of Provinces I Visited

• pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,605
    Your writeup could have been my experience, too.
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • LisaTucsonLisaTucson Member Posts: 60
    I just emailed Tom’s (Mesa) about scheduling service for my 320S Outback, 2016. My front/kitchen window needs repair or replacement. I didn’t buy my camper from Tom’s but it is the closest dealer to Tucson. I have my fingers crossed that I get the excellent service that has been shared on this thread. I’ll keep you posted.
    Lisa
    Tucson, AZ
    2016 T@B 320 S Outback ("Scout")
    TV: 2013 Lexus 450h
    "You never know when you're having good luck." ~ Unknown
  • mrericmreric Member Posts: 154
    I got my T@g from them -  i live in CA,  they gave me a very good price-   it was worth the drive,  everything was handled over the phone.   nice and fast!
    @mreric , good to know. Thanks for letting me know.
    Lisa
    Tucson, AZ
  • DesertDwellerDesertDweller Member Posts: 129
    I had a similar experience as @morey000 with Tom's in terms of the "laid back" sales approach.  I appreciated it, actually.  I showed up to mosey around the dealership when I started thinking about downsizing from a larger trailer.  I told the salesman up front that I was not interested in purchasing at the moment, but was really on a fact-finding tour.  He still showed me around and answered all my questions.  I took home a T@B brochure and did some online research.  I probably went back two more times before I finally bit the bullet.  Like others, I think I got a decent deal (including my trade and an included side-tent), but not a steal.  Maybe I have no poker face or maybe he was just confident in the product, but I came back of my own accord about two months or so after my first visit and signed on the dotted line.  I am guessing the salesman is a very good fisherman, too.
    2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite a/k/a "The D@wghouse"
    2012 Jeep Liberty KK a/k/a "Libby"
  • klengerklenger Member Posts: 307
    I just emailed Tom’s (Mesa) about scheduling service for my 320S Outback, 2016. My front/kitchen window needs repair or replacement. I didn’t buy my camper from Tom’s but it is the closest dealer to Tucson. I have my fingers crossed that I get the excellent service that has been shared on this thread. I’ll keep you posted.
    Hi neighbor. 

T@B 320 manuals and electrical drawings
    Considering a 2023 TaB 400 with the full Lithium option, 
    2022 Jeep Gladiator High Altitude, Tow Package.  
    edited August 2019
    @klenger Hey Neighbor...there seems to be quite a number of T@B-ers  in the Old Pueblo!
    Lisa
    Tucson, AZ
  • morey000morey000 Member Posts: 155
    Update:  No problems with my new T@B.  Called NuCamp last month and wanted to order the "edge" cargo nets.  They told me to call my dealer.  So- called up Tom's Camperland- and they told me they don't have a parts department and to contact TearDropShop. Who doesn't carry.  So, I just gave them $20,000 and they won't drop ship me a part?  So- I called them back, got someone who said they could help me if I would email them what I wanted.  They never responded to the email.  Bought the cargo nets from OrganizedObie.com for way cheaper.  

and yeah- another Tucsonan.  I'll be up on Mt. Bigelow this weekend with the Tr@il T@rdis
    Silver on Silver, 320S '19 Outback Lite
    @morey000....I’m sorry and disappointed you had that experience. That doesn’t bode well for my request to them. I do most of my own mods/repairs but if I need a new window....well, we’ll see.
    Hey @morey000, I’ve been eyeing Mt. Bigelow for boondocking. Have you camped there in the past? If so, any tips would be great. At any rate have a great (and cool!) time. I’ll look for T@B camping photos!
    Lisa
    Tucson, AZ
  • CbusguyCbusguy Member Posts: 771
    Seems to be a running theme with getting parts for our trailers now......I am 4 dealers in with only one responding and they gave me pricing and asked if I would like to get them ordered,   which I responded yes and asked what their prefered method of payment is,  paypal, CC, mailed check and they have yet to respond.     Coming up on a month trying to get parts.
    2009 GMC Canyon,   3.7 liter 
    2020 320s Boondock lite, With Lots of mods
  • larrygonlarrygon Member Posts: 255
    edited August 2019
    Our T@B is the third trailer I have purchased from Tom's. They have taken care of my needs every time I have had to have a trailer serviced. I have dealt with the Sun City location though. They were kind enough to pay for the groups BBQ meal at the last TabAzona event.

The issue of parts is now going to be an on going issue since NuCamp has stopped being kind enough to supply parts directly. Some dealers do not want to keep "the accessories" available and ordering from TearDropShop and others will be the norm.

"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." Albert Einstein
    2015 T@B M@X S White with Grey trim | TV 2021 Ascent Touring | Flagstaff AZ.
    Update: I received excellent service from Tom's Camperland in Mesa, AZ. They (Brian, in my case) are happy to order parts from NuCamp. I'm having a new front window shipped to me. However, they will only do service for Tom's customers (customers that purchased from them) because they don't have the service capacity to open it up to non-customers. While I'm disappointed that I'm not able to get service done at their shop I am pleased that I can easily order parts from them. As some have said in the past...a lot of the mods/repairs can be done by owners (in this case...Me).
    Kudos to Tom's Camperland in Mesa and I hope they consider opening shop in Tucson someday.
    Lisa
    Tucson, AZ