400 fold down sink not draining well

Comments

• falcon1970falcon1970 Member Posts: 754
    After studying the drainage issue for awhile I have come to the conclusion that the issue stems from the fact that the sink on the (pre-2020) TAB 400 is poorly formed.  The basin of any sink should slope towards the drain-regardless of the drain size.  Unless there are restrictions in the drain pipe the water will drain.  On my TAB the sink does NOT slope towards the drain.  The low point appears to be several inches to the back (drivers side) of the drain.  However, I discovered that if I apply slight downward pressure on the front (passenger side) of the sink the water will move to the drain.  I have no idea how that slight downward pressure will affect the hinges in the future and it is annoying to have to coax the water out of the sink.  It would be a good PR move for nuCamp to offer current owners some sort of discount for retrofitting the improved sink.  Although I would wait to see if it truly is improved and not just different.
  • VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    I use a small squeegee to push/pull the water to the drain. It’s better than using a washcloth and  always having a wet washcloth in the bathroom.

I do agree on the fact that the rear of the sink is the low point. I accept it, and figured out a way to dry the sink that works for me. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    N7SHG_Ham said:
    @Michigan_Mike assuming the 2020 sinks work better, would they easily swap into previous year 400's or is that unknown?
    I would imagine that the sinks are compatible.  I'm planning to visit the factory in April and will post up additional information when I speak to a factory rep.  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • b407driverb407driver Member Posts: 130
    FYI, here is an image of the 2020 sink:

2020 T@B400 Boondock Lite w/solar, TV is 2016 Toyota 4Runner TRD
    Jeff --Front Range of Colorado
    I had some work done on my trailer at the factory on Friday and I had them install the new rectangular sink as shown above.  Let me just say that the upgraded sink is “the cat’s pajamas” and works like a charm.  No more flipping the sink up and water running down the wall and no more “raise the sink up to drain” as that problem goes away immediately.  The sink stays in place via magnets built into the plastic and you can turn the faucet on full blast and the large drain is up to the challenge and water leaves quickly.  It also has a large sink stopper with a nice pull handle to allow for easy usage.  

Here are some photos of the new sink assembly and note that there is a lower drain dump area below the sink that catches any residual water left in the sink.  The new upgrade does not have the toothbrush holder but not an issue as I’m happy that you can now use the sink handily and flip it up in the stowed position until the next use! 

• JeffroNCJeffroNC Member Posts: 366
    How much did it cost?
    2019 T@B 400 BDL 2017 F150 3.5L Ecoboost
    Jeff & Amy
    Now in Manistee, MI

• ecyfotoecyfoto Member Posts: 83
    How much did that retro-fit cost you if you don't mind me asking?
    2019 T@B 400 Silver/Black
    2018 Chevy Colorado Z71 Duramax oil burner
    Tampa, Florida
  • tbbycattbbycat Member Posts: 7
    seems to me NuCamp should be picking up the bill
    t@b400 / Chevy Colorado
    edited May 2019
    ecyfoto said:
    How much did that retro-fit cost you if you don't mind me asking?
    The sink replacement mod isn’t cheap and is about $572.50.  But the problem goes away completely, you can actually use the sink, flip it up, water dumps into the lower chamber under the sink, empties into the gray tank and no more wiping residual water out after use or having it splash on your feet below.  

Don’t shoot the messenger as the prior sink installed was what was available at the time from nuCamps manufacturer and obviously they realized the first design was faulty, requiring a new model.  Plastic moulds and extrusion is unfortunately a very costly and time intensive venture. 
  • Tab_400Tab_400 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks, @Michigan_Mike. Was the $572 including the install? Or just the parts?
    I had other work done on the trailer but was told that that was the cost of the sink change out.  
    If Nu/Camp installs a sink in their trailers knowing full well that the darn thing doesn't even work then it should be up to them to make it right.  Thoughts on this anyone?
    t@b400 / Chevy Colorado
  • JEBJEB Member Posts: 266
    tbbycat said:
    If Nu/Camp installs a sink in their trailers knowing full well that the darn thing doesn't even work then it should be up to them to make it right.  Thoughts on this anyone?
    My sink does not drain as well as I'd like.  But to say that it "doesn't even work" is a gross overstatement.  It does work--just not as efficiently as it could.   Showing that the earlier sink design is a defect of such sufficient gravity that replacement ought to be on nuCamp's dime would be tough.  The Company certainly made an improvement, but it doesn't make all prior iterations defects.
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
    2019 Chevy Colorado Z71 Duramax
    Perhaps I did overstate, however, the sink is clearly faulty.  I don't think we can disagree on that. My point is this; any company which installs a part on their product which they know is faulty should in some way be accountable be it an automobile or a dishwasher or a vacuum cleaner, whatever.  My 400 was, for me, a very expensive purchase compared with my other trailer and I have trouble with the attitude that I should just pay the $572.00 out of my own pocket to fix it.  
    t@b400 / Chevy Colorado
    @tbbycat, if you feel you need to communicate your feelings to nüCamp, please send an email to customerservice@nucamprv.com 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • BigGroverBigGrover Member Posts: 450
    I was looking at mine again today here at the camp ground.  Wondering if I could drill a couple of 1/4" holes near the back to facilitate the draining when upright to catch any water left in the sink?
    BigGrover
    2019 T@b 400 Boondock Lite
    2018 Ram 1500 Quad Cab Hemi
    Central Alabama
    @BigGrover, I use a small squeegee to move the water towards the drain. It works well for me. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    I will try to locate one, we've been using a sponge but the we have a wet dponge to dral with.
    BigGrover
    Central Alabama
    Look on Amazon, @BigGrover, for a pair of 5” red squeegees. They are the perfect size. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    Thanks @Verna,
    BigGrover
    Central Alabama
    edited May 2019

@BigGrover here is what I use.  I hated the wet microfiber wash clothes. This stores behind the faucet when you close the sink.

Verna, Columbus, IN
  • JEBJEB Member Posts: 266
    edited May 2019
    tbbycat said:
    Perhaps I did overstate, however, the sink is clearly faulty.  I don't think we can disagree on that. My point is this; any company which installs a part on their product which they know is faulty should in some way be accountable be it an automobile or a dishwasher or a vacuum cleaner, whatever.  My 400 was, for me, a very expensive purchase compared with my other trailer and I have trouble with the attitude that I should just pay the $572.00 out of my own pocket to fix it.  
    Actually, we can and do disagree. The sink is not broken. You are just unsatisfied with the level of performance of the older design. Big difference.  Taken to its logical extreme, your theory suggests that nuCamp would be obligated to retrofit at its cost every unit it ever produced every time it made an improvement to its existing designs. The company would quickly go bankrupt. 
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
    2019 Chevy Colorado Z71 Duramax
    Well, I heartily disagree but at least we can all agree to disagree. 
    t@b400 / Chevy Colorado
    Okay, so now there is an agreement, could we please go back to the original intent of this discussion?

Any further questions as to why about the original design will be sent to customer service@nucamprv.com by the owner with the question. 

Verna
    T@B Admin
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • AustinRoamersAustinRoamers Member Posts: 45
    Our dealer inspected the sink (2018 model) as it was unusable. We were told it was toothpaste and hair dried in the line. I'm skeptical as it was never used for shaving. And what good is a bathroom sink that can't be used to brush teeth? I can happily handle wiping out some residual water and jiggling the sink to drain - this was a far bigger problem. We'll see if it drains at our next outing....
    Kat & Sam      Austin, TX        2018 T@B 400           "Oh, the Places You'll Go!"
  • TabfortwoTabfortwo Member Posts: 157
    Ok people can defend the sink and nucamp all they want but this sink a piece of crap the drain hole is a whopping 5/8' on the inside of the drain and there's not a vent. You should never need to squeegee the sink dry that's just ridiculous. The drain line is a flexable couragated pipe that has alot of ridges and when it goes into the gray tank that is held in with some kind of putty. There's not even a fitting. Best thing I did was take it out and throw it away.  I now have a real sink with an 1 1/2 in drain it works amazing. No squeegee for me.
    @Tabfortwo, didn't you run your drain to the vent pipe?  How did you plug the hole for the original drain?
    BigGrover
    Central Alabama
    Cut a piece of plastic and epoxied it in. 
    Thanks, I am considering the same mod.
    BigGrover
    Central Alabama
    Alot better than the 500 + option