Options

Renogy Solar Briefcase to Zamp connector

Renogy makes a Mc4 to sae adaptor cable

https://www.amazon.com/Renogy-MC4-to-SAE-Adaptor/dp/B01N1TALFY/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=MC4+to+SAE+Adapter+12+AWG+Cable&qid=1558658235&s=gateway&sr=8-4

I believe this will work to connect my Renogy panel to the zamp connector as long as I reverse the leads coming from the zamp connector to the battey. I am also ordering a 20 foot extender cable.  Am I correct?

Mickey & Terri
2016 Max S
Kalamazoo Michigan

Comments

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,489
    Correct.  Zamp requires a reversed polarity, so just reverse the solar port leads at the battery and use the adapter.  Simple fix.  Make sure to order 10 gauge extensions to prevent voltage drop.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,421
    SOAPBOX WARNING...
    Whatever you decide to do, confirm your runs and connections either visually or with a multimeter that tests continuity. That darn Zamp "reverse polarity" thing has generated so much confusion here that I would trust nothing but my own eyes. Just make sure positives are always connected to positives and negatives are always connected to negatives and all will be well!
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    CbusguyCbusguy Member Posts: 771
    Zamp didn't do anyone any favors with their financially driven decision.   Personally I would remove it and install something else.
    2009 GMC Canyon,   3.7 liter 
    2020 320s Boondock lite, With Lots of mods
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,489
    @mandt, we also removed the Zamp sticker after we reversed the leads at the terminal.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    mgreen2mgreen2 Member Posts: 87
    one advantage of the Zamp plug is that the positive wire is enclosed so its less likely you touch a positive wire to metal and create a spark, short etc. I used the renogy adapter for this reason. When you have the solar panel exposed to the sun its creating juice immediately. If you touch positive to metal and create a short you can damage the battery. 
  • Options
    TerryV6TerryV6 Member Posts: 1,092
    From advice from others here, we went with the tecmate optimate polarity adapter. It was the easiest for a non electrical techie like me.

Terry & Jody...  2016 Dodge Ram 1500
    2016 NuCamp 320 T@B Max S
    T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI