Options

Help...Sewer hose connection tool?

I have little tiny 70-year old hands. I can’t tighten or loosen my sewer hose. What tool do I need to buy? Or -what brand of sewer hose is easier to attach than my Camco one? See photo. 

2017 Tab 320 S
2014 Mazda CX 5
Traveling very light to be kind to my transmission.

Comments

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    I’m not far behind you. If I wear the nitrile blue disposable gloves (first choice) or leather gloves or gloves with rubberized palms, it helps me hold onto the hoses. I snug the hoses in place, and I try not to let them tighten to the extreme last click—tight enough to stay on, but not so tight that I can’t loosen them. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,427
    I never considered this, but those fittings are tight and your question got me curious...
    A quick search for "sewer hose wrench" brought up these--they claim to fit Camco hoses of various types. There are probably other brands and types to choose from.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    melpetermelpeter Member Posts: 112
    ScottG said:
    I never considered this, but those fittings are tight and your question got me curious...
    A quick search for "sewer hose wrench" brought up these--they claim to fit Camco hoses of various types. There are probably other brands and types to choose from.
    Oh boy! That’s what I need. Thank you!
    2017 Tab 320 S
    2014 Mazda CX 5
    Traveling very light to be kind to my transmission.
  • Options
    VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,492
    edited June 2019
    I have the same problem. The wrenches Scott showed do help somewhat IF you have a Camco hose, doesn’t fit others. There are two as shown, I generally only use one. I also changed my outlet cap for one with a handle on it, like this: 

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0006MRR2Q/

...which for me made it a little easier to deal with the cap, so I only need the wrench for the hose. 

I’ve also seen the suggestion to use an automotive oil filter pliers/wrench, the open type, not the close loop type. The oil fiter pliers do have inner teeth for gripping, so it can scratch things up and you might need to cover them with tape for a bit of protection. But it’ll work with any hose fittings, not just Camco’s.
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    Lil_LucyLil_Lucy Member Posts: 82
    This is what I use. Bought it at Northern Tool.

2016 T@b 320 Max-S (Silver/Red Trim) / TV: 2019 Ford Flex
    "Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional."
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,653
    I put a tiny bit (tiny) of lubricant on the inside of the fitting and it helps a bit.  And those Camco covers with the handle are the best thing.
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi