Bike Rack for 320

Has anyone used the Yakima roof rack on the back of the 320S for carrying bikes? I have been looking at several roof bike racks to attach to the Yakima rack and wanted to see if anyone else had tried it. Thank you.

Comments

• TerryV6TerryV6 Member Posts: 1,092
     I didn’t see any positives for this idea...
    Terry & Jody...  2016 Dodge Ram 1500
    2016 NuCamp 320 T@B Max S
    T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI

• jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    If you search on cargo rack and bikes, you’ll see mention made of that possibility. I believe the consensus is, there’s a 70# weight limit back there, and the turbulence encountered at the rear is rough on bikes. I didn’t read all of the threads though.
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

• dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,916
    @bbow3129, yes. Member @db_cooper has done it and posted pictures and details. This pic is from one of his posts but, ssssshhhhhhhhh! Word is they're still searching. 
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,916
    @bbow3129, welcome to the forum, the t@b family and congratulations on your trailer.  Adventures await.
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    Well good, perhaps @db_cooper will chime in with their experience.
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

• HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,491
    @bbow3129 the rack pictured is factory installed during production of the Tab Outback model and was modified to add the bike rack. It’s a very different thing to add a Yakima rack to a 320S model, and calling NuCamp to ask if it is structurally a good idea would be the first thing I’d do. Good luck!
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • db_cooperdb_cooper Member Posts: 726

Those are Inno brand fork mount racks we used.  My caveats are we have light carbon bikes, even our mountain bikes are under 30 lbs each.  I use a stool to put them up there, but it's not super easy,  I've made a couple small dents because it's awkward to hold the bike while securing the fork.    That said, it frees up room for kayaks on the TV roof, and it does work.   The racks that attach to the front of the trailer probably work better, but we moved the spare tire, and have dual golf cart batteries, so tongue weight is getting high already.

The Inno rack comes with locks included, so a good deal compared to Thule or Yakima.  Trailer bounce hasn't bothered the bikes at all.  I've found adding the hitch tightener has calmed the trailer down, or maybe the torsion axle is finally broken in, not much bounce anymore.

2015 Max S Outback | 2010 Xterra

• bbow3129bbow3129 Member Posts: 2
    Thank you, I will look at that rack.
  • GatorEggGatorEgg Member Posts: 449
    edited June 2019
    I've carried bikes on Yakima racks across the country since the mid 80's.  Used all type mounts, roof, hitch, fork mounts, uprights etc.  I won't put them on the back of our Boondock.  Too much vehicle moment exaggeration back there.  Plus I'd be embarrassed as a passing vehicle came by with my bikes embedded in their grill and I didn't know they were missing.  I'm in the process of building up the setup below.  With bikes on the vehicle it allows us to take them and explore away from site.  This one not mine but I had same setup years ago between a Blazer and boat trailer.  Worked great.

Edited for photo size - Sharon

2022 TAB 400 Boondock, 2019 Toyota Tacoma Sport 4x4
    2018 TAB 320 Boondock (previous)
    Odessa, Fl.  

• VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,489
    @GatorEgg I do love this idea, but please be aware of the impact a hitch extender has on your hitch, namely, you cut the hitch’s capacity in half when using one. So if the hitch is rated for 500 lbs tongue weight, using an extender like the one in the picture cuts that to 250...which the trailer alone would potentially use up, even before the weight of the rack and bikes were added. Many articles out there about this, and it’s usually explained in the extender’s instructions as well, but here’s one link to start with.

https://www.etrailer.com/question-151257.html
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • GatorEggGatorEgg Member Posts: 449
    edited June 2019
    Yes, not recommended for setups where vehicle is close to rating.  But it isn't a 50% reduction.  That's just a good number to remember.  It all depends on the length of extension, and too much math for me.
    2022 TAB 400 Boondock, 2019 Toyota Tacoma Sport 4x4
    2018 TAB 320 Boondock (previous)
    Odessa, Fl.  

@VictoriaP what about this one from etrailer? He states that this one doesn’t affect your tow capacity. If so, this set up would work really well for me. Thanks!

Recommended Dual Purpose Receiver Tube Adapter For Towing And A Bike Rack

Question:

Hi, Im looking for an adapter that will fit my 2inch class III hitch which will still allow me to tow my camper but also allow for a 1 1/4inch bike rack to be used as well. Thanks! Im looking to purchase a used Thule Expressway 995 rack.

asked by: Dave B

Expert Reply:

We have a dual hitch receiver that may be just what you are looking for. It is the MaxxTow Dual Hitch Extender, part # MT70070. This adapter can be used in the hitch receiver on your truck and it has two 2 inch receivers. The bottom receiver can be used for towing and the top receiver can be used for accessories like a bike rack you mentioned. 

Since the top receiver is a 2 inch also, you will need to use a hitch reducer like part # HT02. This reducer measures 7 inches and moves the hitch pin hole 3 inches. This reducer will not reduce the tongue weight capacity of the hitch.

expert reply by: Jeffrey LJeffrey L

ASK THE EXPERTS A QUESTION >>

2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,489
    @Homebodyatheart The exact wording is “this reducer will not reduce the tongue weight capacity of the hitch”. He’s discussing two different parts, the extender and then the reducer needed for the bike rack.

@GatorEgg is likely correct that 50% is an easy round number used as a guideline because there’s definitely a lot of math involved. However, it appears to be an industry standard as it’s referenced all over the place and often quoted in installation manuals for extenders. As such, it’s one of those things likely to be used by an insurance adjuster to deny claims in an accident. That makes it too risky in my book when there are other alternatives for bike racks out there that do not require an extender.
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • db_cooperdb_cooper Member Posts: 726
    I tried the dual hitch receiver to just carry an empty fold up Thule rack and it doesn't clear the T@b ball receiver.  The one with an 8 inch drop would work, but it was over $100 bucks.
    2015 Max S Outback | 2010 Xterra

@VictoriaP all things considered, an inexpensive folding bike would run about the same as any bike racks I’ve been looking at and offer simpler storage options. Plus I wouldn’t have any lifting over my head issues with it. Schwinn Loop looks like the best bet for me at this point. As much as I love my mountain bike this one might be a better fit as I’m “aging!”(sigh...)
  • camper3859camper3859 Member Posts: 2
    No way would I carry bikes on that rack. NuCamp says 50lbs max. If you open up the latches that hold the bar on you will see how flimsy it really is. IMHO this rack is purely a marketing tactic.
  • camper3859camper3859 Member Posts: 2
    Check out this thing that bolts to the tongue 
    Quick Products QP-BBB Trailer Tongue Bike Bunk Black 100 lb. Capacity https://a.co/d/9aPgz2F
  • ShadraxShadrax Member Posts: 21
    This worked for us, three months, 10,000 miles, rough roads.  It can be a bit of a reach and it puts more weight on the back.  We put more weight on the tongue.  E bikes would be too heavy.