Options

squirrels

kaylevine1kaylevine1 Member Posts: 165
was at a campground in Alabama with some very friendly squirrels one of which just strolled right on into my t@b 400 with the door open but screen closed-twice!! sneaked under the bottom of the screen then did a little dance in the middle of the floor when I yelled at it-I had to open the door to let out the first time but the second time he just stuck his nose at the bottom of the screen and wiggled right on out-squirrel repelant??? or a way to secure the screen better?????

Comments

• Options
    VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,492
    I’d probably just shut the door and leave it closed. My first thought was to use a piece of plexiglass on the inside to block their entrance, but then I remembered overly friendly squirrels I’ve known in the past that would climb screen doors and hang at eye level until someone paid attention to them (usually with food). I don’t think the folding screens on a Tab would stand up to that very well!
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    lkc001lkc001 Member Posts: 734
    pesky varmits..  and they aren't really afraid of people either.  They have been known to chew through screens on homes to get inside if they easily see food on a counter.  
    2016 Nissan Frontier SV V6 4x4
    Finally!  New Owner of a 2017 Tab 320S! 
    Woohoo!
  • Options
    or get a dog. . . 

Woohoo!
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    edited July 2019
    We made the mistake of leaving the truck door open for a little while, while we set up camp...  The Chipmunk now lives about 200 miles west of the rest of his family!

We didn't know about the hitchhiker til we cleaned out the truck and found the half eaten crackers...

I don't recall how we evicted him, I think a trap was the answer.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    SueBCSueBC Member Posts: 70
    edited July 2019
    Squirrels, chipmunks - its called nature. I love them. Be more worried about a bear - now that would be interesting... and I've had tons of close up bear encounters while hiking. Both me and all the bears were unharmed.
    SueBC
    British Columbia, Canada
  • Options
    Emma62Emma62 Member Posts: 51
    I thought about a rodent getting into the trailer underneath the screen.  However, after decades of camping in bear country and never bringing food into a tent, what keeps me awake at night is that even though we keep all food in the fridge I make breakfasts in the trailer and it would be super easy for a bear to climb into one of the windows.  
  • Options
    Woohoo!
  • Options
    JanandDaveJanandDave Member Posts: 119
    Not squirrels, but these guys just came by after a thunderstorm. 

2016 T@B 320 Max S  "T@BsentMinded"
    2009 Subaru Outback R 3.0
    2022 Ford Ranger XLT Super Cab

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,489
    Oh, very cute and ugly at the same time😀
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    Oh! cute and nasty! Don' mess with those possoms!
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    Now what is she doing so white? 'possoms around these parts are much darker!
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    forgot to mention yea-he climbed up the screen twice and I had to shoo him away before he finally got inside-thanks for the recipe-and yea-possums get inside my garage at my house if I leave door open sometimes
  • Options
    LuckyjLuckyj Member Posts: 286
    Just had a squirel inside my cabin last friday.

was coming inside, and saw tye little bogger heating bird seeds in a plastic bucket inside the house.  Took me a while, But I think I mannage to scare it out.  Spent the folling night inside with my dog as ussual, and she did not react at all.  So hopefully, he is out.  i will see the result next week when I get bak there.  If he is still inside, I am in trouble, cause there is just to much corners where he can hide.  Rat trap or catch might be the solution.  Somehow, I just love those little fur balls, when they are outside.  :)
    2017 T@G Max Outback "Le Refuge"
    TV 2005 jeep TJ unlimited
    and/or 2005 Nissan X-Trail 4wd
    Alaskan Malamuthe on board!

Les Escoumins and Petite-Riviere-St-Francois QC
  • Options
    SweetlyHomeSweetlyHome Member Posts: 336
    edited July 2019
    They are so cute and innocent looking until cornered or when they empty your bird feeder.  Had to share this one looking cute.  Taken at the Natural Bridge KOA in Virginia.

And no, we didn't give him the ice cream cone. 
    Jupiter, Florida~T@B 400, with 2018 Toyota 4Runner

• Options
    not much help here people-what I was looking for was some way to cover or secure the bottom of the screen-I guess could have a piece of plexiglass cut exactly to fit that could be placed to make the bottom couple fee too slick to climb and would fit down in the groove
  • Options
    I have a gate I use so the girls don't accidentally harm the screen door but it wouldn't prevent a determined critter from entering.  Best deterrent I've found is a cairn terrier laying inside the door hoping a squirrel/chipmunk/etc. will try to slip underneath the screen.  
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    edited July 2019
    I have watched squirrels in campsites raiding food left on picnic tables.  I was in Traverse City State Park a few years back, was sitting outside the trailer enjoying my morning coffee and watched a squirrel unloading a fresh container of Oreo mint cookies.  It opened up the back and made multiple trips up to its nest in a nearby tree to stash its booty.  I casually walked over to the picnic table, grabbed the cookies and placed them into a container to keep the squirrel at bay as the campers slept.  

A fake owl on a short shepherds hook might work as a deterrent too for times like this.  And rule #1 - NEVER store food in a screen room or tent as these pesky varmints will chew through anything to get to the food.  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    Here's a picture of the gate and hopeful cairns.  The critters are as aware of the girls as the girls are of them and so far have stayed several feet from the doorway.  The dark cairn is very serious and critters seem to know that.  I wonder if the critters would perceive the gate as a solid barrier even if the girls were not inside.  

• Options
    Deb55Deb55 Member Posts: 293
    Ratkity said:
    Darn, Rocket clicked on the "Squirrels" title and thought he was going to get a "how to" set of directions....
    Only 7 mo here. Picture taken after loading into the truck. He's not growing into those ears! The ears keep growing too. He is ready to go to Starborks and get a puppicino (we are going, but we are practicing obedience, no puppicinos that day).

• Options
  • Options
    Not squirrels, but these guys just came by after a thunderstorm. 

• Options
    Possums should be all of our friends. They eat thousands, yes thousands, of ticks! 
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    I had no idea! That's it. I'm starting a 'possum preserve.

I hate ticks!
    Deb55 said:
    Possums should be all of our friends. They eat thousands, yes thousands, of ticks! 

Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya