Options

Best Resource to Reserve sites and for Boondocking

Picking up my T@B 400 in 2 weeks. I've been a tent camper and always used ReserveAmerica and occassionally knew of a state or county park where I booked directly. I realize ReserveAmerica charges additional fees for their service.  Is there a better way to look for campgrounds and availability? Any resources you can recommend including for boondocking?  I'm going to be going mostly to parks (state and national parks) and anything in between that looks scenic. I know the popular places (like Yellowstone) book up months in advance so not really looking for that.  Just a spot to park and enjoy myself while seeing the country.  I'm a solo female camper so really looking forward to having a solid roof over my head and not having to put up, dry off and take down the tent.  That said, with the tent, I stayed fairly local (I live in the Hudson Valley of NY) but with the camper, I want to venture far and wide!  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated to help me with my planning. I'm sure once I get the hang of this, I'll have all the tricks I need, but right now, could use some tips.  

Comments

• Options
    ChrisandAlexisChrisandAlexis Member Posts: 120
    Chris and Alexis-- Roseville, California--2017 T@B CS-S--Toyota 4Runner
  • Options
    BaylissBayliss Member Posts: 1,299
    @Missstsomewhere, I use Recreation.gov for making reservations in forest service and national park campgrounds, but they too charge a fee.  Easy to use and similar to ReserveAmerica.  You can Google "BLM" and "Army Corps of Engineers" to find campgrounds on public lands that are free or low fee for camping/boondocking.
    2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite2007 Toyota Tundra 4x4
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)
    Greg & Marlene (Tucson, AZ)

• Options
    blackc2004blackc2004 Member Posts: 117
  • Options
    Thanks! Some great resources here! 
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,650
    I'm a freecampsite.net fan, but sometimes it just breaks in my browser (Firefox) and the only way to have it work is to use a private window.  Go figure.  You do have to look carefully at the dates of some of the reviews.  It also pays to search the web just a bit to see if other sites might have information that will confirm the freecampsite info.  There are so many Rv bloggers out there who have been everywhere/seen everything and have posted the pictures to prove it.  I have had some great campsites in the last couple of years that freecampsites helped me find. 

I found this website a month or so ago, and I'm still trying it out, but it has tons of information on US Forest Service facilities ( and probably more federal/state organizations......campgrounds, scenic overlooks, hiking,biking, etc.....just click on the "camping" icon ( the little tent) and zoom in on the area you want to survey.

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    GatorEggGatorEgg Member Posts: 452
    ioverlander.com
    2022 TAB 400 Boondock, 2019 Toyota Tacoma Sport 4x4
    2018 TAB 320 Boondock (previous)
    Odessa, Fl.  

• Options
    gspdxgspdx Member Posts: 208
    If you decide to come out west there is this: publiclands.org  The website is a little clunky but there is lots of info.  One of the things I like the most is seeing where all of the BLM land is.  Lots of dispersed camping opportunities. Another one is https://www.campendium.com/  It even has a search function for "free" camping.  Many of the suggestions are dispersed camping in BLM and other land.  Finally I do like to go to google maps and use the satellite view to "see" what is at these spots.  Many times you can see campers out in the middle of nowhere.

If you are interested in camping on private land there is https://www.hipcamp.com/   It's like Airbnb for campers.  Last weekend we stayed on an old christmas tree farm in Washington and had the whole place to ourselves.

Now this can be time consuming - but I am kind of a map freak.  It is amazing what you can learn.  And I still like my paper maps.

2019 T@B 400 BDL
    2018 Ford F-150 2.7L Ecoboost with tow package
    PNW