Options

Surge Protector Used When Home?

When parked in the driveway and plugged in using a 15a to 30a converter plug...is there a need to use my surge protector?  I guess it couldn't hurt, but is it suggested?
2017 T@B 320S, 2011 2WD Honda Pilot, Coming out of The Woodlands, TX....Mark & Carolyn

Comments

• Options
    VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,492
    Unless you have a whole house protector already covering that circuit, yes, you should use the one for the trailer. Same as plugging in any other electronics.
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    BaylissBayliss Member Posts: 1,299
    edited July 2019
    @wooper, I would, just to protect your camper and the electrical appliances in the event of a power surge.  Not much different than having a surge protector for sensitive electronics in your home (e.g., computer, television, etc.)  I suppose a lot of it depends on where you live (e.g., in a storm prone area where lightning could knock out power, excessive temperatures that may lead to brown-outs, etc.)  I have a hard-wired Progressive Industries EMS, so it is always connected.  If you are just using the power to keep your battery charged, there may be less of an issue, but there is still power going to your converter, etc..  I suppose that a concern you may have, depending on where you are plugging in for power at home, is whether the surge protector will be accessible for someone to steal.  They do sell locks to secure them, but you need something to secure it to.

I have never looked in to it, so I am unsure about it, but will the 30 amp surge protector work when connected to a 15 or 20 amp outlet?  I presume it will, but it might be worth a call to the manufacturer to find out.
    2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite2007 Toyota Tundra 4x4
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)
    Greg & Marlene (Tucson, AZ)

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,498
    Just use a dogbone adapter for the 110 v outlet and then plug the surge protector into the adapter.  
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    wooperwooper Member Posts: 75
    Sharon...that's what I was going to do...just never seen it mentioned.
    2017 T@B 320S, 2011 2WD Honda Pilot, Coming out of The Woodlands, TX....Mark & Carolyn
  • Options
    That is what we do.  Always use the surge protector.
  • Options
    dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,926
    edited July 2019
    @wooper, we are plugged in to our home, 15 amp circuit. ALWAYS have the dogbone engaged!
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • Options
    JEBJEB Member Posts: 266
    I had an electrician run a dedicated 30A circuit to our garage to keep our trailer connected to shore power full time.  We always use a surge protector.  The risk is not so much the surge but rather the opposite—low voltage, particularly on very hot days when energy usage in the neighborhood is high.  The surge protector has cut the power multiple times over the years when voltage dropped too low to keep the trailer safely energized.  It’s cheap insurance. 
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
    2019 Chevy Colorado Z71 Duramax
  • Options
    Good point @JEB.  Also, not all surge protectors detect low voltage, so, in this case, you get what you pay for.
  • Options
    klengerklenger Member Posts: 307
    My surge protector is a full-function hard-wired EMS.  Being hard-wired and located inside the trailer (behind the fuse panel), it's always connected and always protecting, regardless of my power source (campground, home, generator).  I can't leave it behind and not likely to be stolen. 
    T@B 320 manuals and electrical drawings
    Considering a 2023 TaB 400 with the full Lithium option, 
    2022 Jeep Gladiator High Altitude, Tow Package.