Options

whats an acceptable tow vehicle?

I am buying a T@B Max-cs, no bathroom.  dry weight is 1675.  I have been looking at new vehicles to tow it. had my heart set on Mazda CX-5, but discovered it has a tow rating of 2000 lb.  That doesnt seem like enough.   Alternatively I would use a 97 Ford Ranger with 4.0L engine and 2500 lb towing capacity.  Does anyone have experience with either vehicle?

Comments

• Options
    hatboxhatbox Member Posts: 44
    No experience with those, but have 2013 subaru outback 4 cyl cvt tran, tow rating 2700...and I sure wish I had more power.  I live in a valley, and no matter where I go, I have to climb.  Thought it would be fine after researching, but without an external transmission cooler, and with only the 2.5 cvt, I am seriously thinking that it's not so good, and barely climb at 55 mph without revving 4-5 rpms.  Have now geared up my 94 land cruiser for the job, which will definitely chew up fuel--but, she has 6 cyl. And a rating of 5000 lbs, so no worries about burning trans.  Lots of folks do well with 6 cyl ford edges, toyota tacomas, and jeeps, I have noticed.  If I were buying a new vehicle, I'd go for a 5k tow rating, for what its worth...but, I'm protective of my cars.

Lisa and Tim

Cottonwood, Arizona

2015 Max S Sofitel--"The Hatbox"  TV: 2013 Subaru Outback and 1994 Toyota Land Cruiser aka "the Betty"

• Options
    RadRad Member Posts: 516
    GCWR, (gross combined weight rating), a figure you need to consider.  It is the max weight any vehicle can carry and tow combined.  It is a very important number.  It takes into account everything you are pulling and everything in the tow vehicle including passengers and the tow vehicle weight.  Use this number along with your towing capacity number to find the limits of your tow vehicle.
  • Options
    JandJ92010JandJ92010 Member Posts: 304
    Rad is right, good advice, My C/V van is rated for 3500 lb. trailer, but any thing with a tow rating of 3500-5000lbs. will do you well.
    The HobbiT@B, 2015-L, towed by a2014 RAM C/V
  • Options
    jcfaber1jcfaber1 Member Posts: 318
    We have a Jeep Grand Cherokee and love it.  6200 lb tow capacity.  Other than the decrease in mileage, the car does not know it's there.

2007 T@B

Rockford, IL

• Options
    mdimdimdimdi Member Posts: 32
    I am going to tow mine with my 2014 Tacoma with the TRD off road package. It has the tow package as well. 6600 pound tow rating. I don't think I need electric brakes for something as light as the t@b. I used to tow 560 gal seal coat trailers back in the 80's so I know how to handle a heavy trailer. Any other opinions?
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    mdimdi said:
    I am going to tow mine with my 2014 Tacoma with the TRD off road package. It has the tow package as well. 6600 pound tow rating. I don't think I need electric brakes for something as light as the t@b. I used to tow 560 gal seal coat trailers back in the 80's so I know how to handle a heavy trailer. Any other opinions?

If you check your state laws, most states require brakes on the trailer if it is over 1,500 lbs, which the T@B is.  The other Little Guy trailers are all under 1,200 lbs and don't need brakes, unless the owner lives in a state that requires brakes for over 1,000 lbs (New York, for instance).  Indiana requires brakes for over 1,500 lbs. 

Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    mickietucsmickietucs Member Posts: 709
    I'm going to tow with a Ford F150 and definitely had the electric brake controller installed. My understanding it is imperative to use them and will make towing much safer. May be a law as well, but even if not, I still think they are there for a good reason.
    Michele, Tucson, AZ. TV - '13 F150 & '16 T@Bitha special order.

You never really travel alone. The world is full of friends waiting to get to know you!

• Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    We have the Tacoma 4cyl (@ 160hp, I think). 

It's rated at 3400 pounds or so.

We like it a lot, but it would be nice to have more power.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    mdimdimdimdi Member Posts: 32
    Ah thanks Verna, 
    a cursory check shows Oregon you don't need trailer brakes, Washington maybe depends on percentage of towing capacity and Idaho yes you need them. I guess I better just get the wireless setup. I am in Oregon but I might leave at some point. :)
  • Options
    CxMainCxMain Member Posts: 4
    We are towing the 2015 S Max with a 2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited.  Had the brake controller installed.  It tows and slows beautifully.  We received great advice early on to not just consider what weight you can haul down the road; it's more important to consider what weight your vehicle can stop when you need to with short notice.  Highly recommend getting the brake controller.
    2015 T@b S Max / 2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited / Gilbert, AZ
  • Options
    NormfunNormfun Member Posts: 285
    Towing a 2015 CS-S with a Honda Pilot.  4500b rating and it tows very nicely in the  mountains been from sea level to 9000 ft so far.  No issues.
    Norm & Pat. 320 S Outback Utah or somewhere else.

• Options
    SgtjohnSgtjohn Member Posts: 238
    edited May 2015
    I had a 4 cylinder Nissan Frontier and thought it'd be short on power so I traded it in on a new Nissan Frontier 6 cyl.  I find that it doesn't pull well either but maybe it's my imagination because it downshifts too much and gas milage is around 15 MPG.  I now wish I had gotten a Scubedoo Forester.
  • Options
    mash2mash2 Member Posts: 581
    I have a 2012 forester which works okay....  didn't like the mountains of colorado, but held up well on a couple of 10K trips over the past couple of years.  Been looking at an escape 2.0 to up the power and towing capacity to 3,500 lbs.
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    mdimdi said:
    Ah thanks Verna, 
    a cursory check shows Oregon you don't need trailer brakes, Washington maybe depends on percentage of towing capacity and Idaho yes you need them. I guess I better just get the wireless setup. I am in Oregon but I might leave at some point. :)

The least expensive wireless brake controller that I found was $308 on Amazon, which is less expensive than the first time I looked at them.   And, you're welcome.
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    mash2 - My Wrangler doesn't like high altitudes and grades above 6 degrees. Hit a very long 9 degree out of Death Valley and thought I'd have to hook up oxen to get to the summit. One almost needs a turbo charged engine for altitudes just like small planes.
  • Options
    PXLated said:
    mash2 - My Wrangler doesn't like high altitudes and grades above 6 degrees. Hit a very long 9 degree out of Death Valley and thought I'd have to hook up oxen to get to the summit. One almost needs a turbo charged engine for altitudes just like small planes.
    My guess is you are talking about climbing Towne Pass.  That is a monster climb for any TV.  You climb from sea level to a hair under 5,000' with no real breaks in the grade.  I'm on it once or twice a year; but, it feels a lot different when you are on a great motorcycle rather than humping a trailer up and over it.
  • Options
    Rad - Yep, west out of Death Valley - Think I topped out around 7,000 - Was 49 minutes of up. There really isn't any warning coming out of DV until you get to the big grade and there's no place to turn around. The ride down is pretty thrilling :-)
    Be a great scenic ride if you weren't pulling a camper.
  • Options
    leenscottflleenscottfl Member Posts: 254
    PXL what year Jeep if I may ask? 
    Scott, Orange Park, Florida...2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara... 2015 T@B S Maxx "Buttercup".
  • Options
    2008 Wrangler 4-door - manual tranny
  • Options
    leenscottflleenscottfl Member Posts: 254
    My 2012 is my 7th Jeep. In 12 they made many changes that addressed every issue I had plus some I didn't think of. My first was a CJ7. The 12 is best of the lot.
    Scott, Orange Park, Florida...2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara... 2015 T@B S Maxx "Buttercup".
  • Options
    I'm on my fourth - can't believe it's already six years old - may have to think about trading...or avoid 9 degree grades :-)
  • Options
    mash2mash2 Member Posts: 581
    I actually went over that pass.  Lots of fun in a four cylinder vehicle.
  • Options
    mash2 said:
    I actually went over that pass.  Lots of fun in a four cylinder vehicle.
    That is two more cylinders than I have when I go over it  B)
  • Options
    Rad - Ya but!
    Mash2 - How much of a struggle was it or do you have a turbo? I was in third gear most of the way up.
  • Options
    I also gone up that pass with 8 cylinders working hard to maintain 35-40 mph in places with my class C RV......no fun.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    Well...

Back in '81, going up Homestake Pass out of Butte, pulling our '63 Beetle with our '59 Micro-Bus (I suppose that was our first camper!), both were loaded with all our belongings, plus the family (1-year old son), plus the litter of puppies... oh dear.

We couldn't get 'er out of first gear, or go any faster than 4 mph, up that pass. (That old VW Bus was geared low!)

In western Pennsylvania, we finally burned that 'third cylinder' that was known to be VW's weakness, but we made it to Buffalo on three cylinders!

Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    OMG, done the VW burned 3rd cyl thing two times. Young, dumb and broke.  I loved those days.
  • Options
    Yup, dumb.

Overloaded? What's that?  :-)

(Actually, the plate on the bus showed a load rating of 1 ton! Some heavy duty torsion bars!)
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    Wow ChanW - The old pioneers had nothing over you. Adventuresome.
  • Options
    PXL, I think you've hit the nail on the head.

That must be why I was so endeared with the darn Tab. I can't seem to get that 'pioneering spirit' used up!

It really does look a little like a Conestoga wagon, ya think?

I'll have to suggest it to LG... :-)
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya