Staying hitched for the night

ZippyAZippyA Member Posts: 59
The T@B manual indicates that it is not necessary to unhitch when spending the night at a site.  I'm a little confused about language from the manual:

"When stopping for the night, your camper is built to be safely parked in any spot that is relatively level and where the ground is firm. Your facilities are with you. You are self-contained. Unless the tow vehicle is needed for transportation, it is not necessary to unhitch.

Choose the most level parking spot possible. Stabilizing jacks or blocks may not be required for an overnight stay. However, if you put the jack pad on the hitch jack and run the hitch jack down to take the weight off the tow vehicle’s springs, it will provide some stability."

Question:

I'm not sure I understand "if you put the jack pad ON the hitch jack and run the hitch jack down to take the weight off..."

I use a little block of wood on the ground and lower the hitch jack onto it.  What is meant by putting a jack pad ON the hitch jack??  Should I not be using the block of wood?  Confused!

Aggie/ 2021T@B320S; Alde Compact 3020 HE/ 2021 Subaru Ascent
Rockville, MD (a D.C. suburb)

Comments

• GatorEggGatorEgg Member Posts: 449
    This is a tongue jack foot.  You can use a piece of wood but this is the proper part.

2022 TAB 400 Boondock, 2019 Toyota Tacoma Sport 4x4
    2018 TAB 320 Boondock (previous)
    Odessa, Fl.  

• klengerklenger Member Posts: 307
    ^^  Some tow vehicles have a built in disconnect relay that automatically disconnects the tow vehicle charge wire from the trailer when the tow vehicle is not running negating the need to disconnect.  I am quite certain this applies to most Ford trucks but not to Ram trucks and Mopar vehicles.  Don't know about any others.
    T@B 320 manuals and electrical drawings
    Considering a 2023 TaB 400 with the full Lithium option, 
    2022 Jeep Gladiator High Altitude, Tow Package.  
  • Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,461
    I guess this would not be an issue if you plug in to shorepower as long as the battery switch is turned on.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • CbusguyCbusguy Member Posts: 771
    Hmmm, I wonder what back feeding trailer power into the tow vehicle might do? Damage the converter in the trailer?

Don't know just wondering
    2009 GMC Canyon,   3.7 liter 
    2020 320s Boondock lite, With Lots of mods
  • Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,461
    I posted this over on the TaG forum:

I recently sent a message to Mike Sokol - RVTravel.net electric guru regarding being hooked up to shore power and attached to the TV via 7 pin at the same time. He reported that since the AC power is separated from the DC power, it would be ok to leave it connected only if you have an isolation relay. Without it you risk the draw down of the TV battery or the possibility of the TaB converter actually charging the TV battery.

"Charging circuits are very sensitive to battery chemistry and size, so intermixing your RV and Vehicle batteries, especially during charging, is a bad idea."

So, if you have an isolation relay, you can safely leave the RV hooked to shore power and to the TV via a 7 pin. If no isolation relay, disconnect from the TV while plugged into shore power.

Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • ZippyAZippyA Member Posts: 59
    I think to be safe I will just unplug the 7 pin!  Thanks everyone.  
    Aggie/ 2021T@B320S; Alde Compact 3020 HE/ 2021 Subaru Ascent
    Rockville, MD (a D.C. suburb)
  • MouseketabMouseketab Member Posts: 1,230
    For practical reference, I have always had an isolation relay on both of my tow vehicles. I've done many overnight stops at RV parks and at hotels. I've never disconnected my truck. When plugged into shore power with an overnight stop, simply just plug in the electric and go to bed. When stopping at a hotel, turn the 12V fridge down to low, lock everything up and head in. The tow vehicle battery has never been affected.
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2007 Dutchmen T@B Clamshell #2741
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    2021 F-150 502A Lariat SuperCrew, 3.5 EcoBoost 4x2
    Harvest, AL
  • mrericmreric Member Posts: 154
    i usually unhitch anyways.  is not that time consuming..  i have some concern of causing extra wear to the transmission parking pawl.  
  • NorthIsUpNorthIsUp Member Posts: 170
    Sorry. The title of the post reminds me of, "What happens in Vegas..."  
    Jean & Arnie  No. Nevada
    2019 T@B 400 BL
    2021 Toyota Sequoia 4WD

• tabiphiletabiphile Member Posts: 423
    NorthIsUp said:
    Sorry. The title of the post reminds me of, "What happens in Vegas..."  
    A hookup?