How do you handle your wet bathroom floor?

_JB__JB_ Member Posts: 18
A bit embarrassed to ask about this one, but I haven't discovered an elegant solution to it yet so I thought I would ask all you seasoned travelers...

The wet bath in our 400 is new experience for our family of three. We find that even when we are level, water pools a bit around the shower pan after a quick shower. This can be a bit uncomfortable for the next person to use the toilet or brush teeth. Have to pull off socks and stand or sit in little puddles, then dry feet so there aren't muddy feet in the walkway before bed. 

I supposed we could just keep a separate towel handy to dry the floor each time or soak up the water. Also thought about trying to find some kind of custom-fit teak wood mat. 

What works well for you all?

Comments

• DenisPDenisP Member Posts: 538
    A squeegee works well followed by a microfiber cloth. 
    2018 T@b 400, 200ah Lithium with Solar
    2013 Tundra TRD 5.7L
    Massachusetts
  • jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,389
    DenisP said:
    I will squeegee my walls, especially when camping in the east, too. 

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    I think @Verna mentioned using a slatted bamboo shower mat.
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

• EmergencyKenEmergencyKen Member Posts: 29
    Here’s what we did for our 320, not sure if it’d work for a 400 or not.  We used a recycled flip-flop door mat and cut it to size.  It also doesn’t get as cold as the floor on those chilly mornings. 
    Cleveland, OH
    2018 Tab 400 
    2017 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
    Husband, Nurse, Hufflepuff

• VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    A slatted teak shower mat from Amazon is wonderful while taking the shower. Then I squeegee the teak mat and the floor, followed by using a microfiber cloth to dry the black cover for the water pipes, the chrome on the shower wand holder, the teak mat and finally all the floor. 

If you don’t follow with the wiping down after squeegee, yes, your feet will get wet and you’ll track wet footprints on the floor. 

Also I found that leaving a soaking wet towel or microfiber cloth in the closed up bathroom is a good way for the towel or cloth to “go sour” (that was the term my parents always used). I installed hooks outside the bathroom door and use plastic clips to hang the wet towels or cloths so they can dry properly. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • b407driverb407driver Member Posts: 130
    I use a strong paper towel ('Shop Towel', blue), mop it up, squeeze into drain, repeat until dry-ish. Don't try that with RV toilet paper, it gets kinds gross fast (can you say: 'papier mache'?).

We always turn the vent fan on with the shower curtain in shower mode (i.e. spread out as much as possible), and it's usually dry within 20 minutes (summer).
    2020 T@B400 Boondock Lite w/solar, TV is 2016 Toyota 4Runner TRD
    Jeff --Front Range of Colorado
  • Deb55Deb55 Member Posts: 293
    I have a squeegee and a large sponge in the bathroom, and leave an absorbent bathmat outside the bathroom door. Plus I use the bathroom in bare feet or flip flops.
  • TNOutbackTNOutback Member Posts: 633
    Verna said:

Also I found that leaving a soaking wet towel or microfiber cloth in the closed up bathroom is a good way for the towel or cloth to “go sour” (that was the term my parents always used). I installed hooks outside the bathroom door and use plastic clips to hang the wet towels or cloths so they can dry properly. 
    Wouldn’t it be great if that bathroom porthole window opened to get some air moving through?
  • Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    edited July 2019
    _JB_ said:
    A bit embarrassed to ask about this one, but I haven't discovered an elegant solution to it yet so I thought I would ask all you seasoned travelers...

The wet bath in our 400 is new experience for our family of three. We find that even when we are level, water pools a bit around the shower pan after a quick shower. This can be a bit uncomfortable for the next person to use the toilet or brush teeth. Have to pull off socks and stand or sit in little puddles, then dry feet so there aren't muddy feet in the walkway before bed. 

I supposed we could just keep a separate towel handy to dry the floor each time or soak up the water. Also thought about trying to find some kind of custom-fit teak wood mat. 

What works well for you all?

We use the teak shower grate too.  I place a large RV travel mat outside the trailer to minimize dirt and small stones inside, plus I remove my shoes when possible before entering the trailer at the end of the day.  I’ve also set the trailer up so that it is slightly off center and leans just a tad toward the door so water flows toward the shower Floor drain in the 400. 

When showering we leave a small micro-fiber rug outside the bath area to step on after drying off.  I always shake the excess water off the shower curtain and use a dedicated towel to further dry it and the front wall area. I flip the teak platform over too, rinse it off with the hand wand, dry it and lean it up against the wall.  I then dry the floor with the towel and hang it up to dry.  We have 4 wall hooks in the shower area for hanging clothing and towels and it works great.  We had the extra hooks installed when the trailer was built.  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • mrlynch1953mrlynch1953 Member Posts: 40
    Bamboo platform.  At least i think its bamboo.  Maybe teak.  But dries quickly and is elevated.  The down side is that you have less height in the shower!
  • JeffroNCJeffroNC Member Posts: 366
    Anybody have a link to a teak mat that fits?
    2019 T@B 400 BDL 2017 F150 3.5L Ecoboost
    Jeff & Amy
    Now in Manistee, MI

• easttntabeasttntab Member Posts: 48

I'm going to try using a white plastic cutting board cut to fit.  Leave it out for showering and place it back in when done. I'll probably drill some holes in board to allow the shower floor to dry naturally. I'll use a cutting board thick enough that water won't come through the holes.  Another idea might be using table place mats. They come in camping themes, decorative and different shapes as well as different thickness and material. Just a thought!

JeffroNC said:
    It appears the one I have from Amazon isn’t there now. Just do a search on Amazon for “teak shower mat”, know your measurements and there are plenty to choose from. Mine was in the $50 range. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    easttntab said:

I'm going to try using a white plastic cutting board cut to fit.  Leave it out for showering and place it back in when done. I'll probably drill some holes in board to allow the shower floor to dry naturally. I'll use a cutting board thick enough that water won't come through the holes.  Another idea might be using table place mats. They come in camping themes, decorative and different shapes as well as different thickness and material. Just a thought!

On my T@B S Max, I chose a holey plastic bath mat and cut it to fit. I think I purchased mine from Walmart at a very good price. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • webers3webers3 Member Posts: 402
    @DougH make another one, please!
    2017 T@B 320S   2019 Jeep Cherokee - Southern Connecticut
  • DougHDougH Member Posts: 1,110
    @webers3 : And deprive you of the fun of woodworking?  The garage now has that heavenly cedar smell from all the planer shavings.
    2021 Jeep Gladiator, 2021 tiny toy hauler, Austin TX
    Former steward of a 2017 T@B S Max

• MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,497
    JeffroNC said:
    I use one sample tile + 2 end pieces for my CSS = $25

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01EXA3Z18
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JCEPA1E

San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • aponteluisaponteluis Member Posts: 6
    The wet bath floor in the 2022 Tab 320S measures 25 7/8” x 22 1/8”. I purchased interlocking bathroom floor tiles from Amazon and cut them to size. 

12 Pack 12" x 12" Interlocking Rubber Bathroom Flooring Tiles Non-Slip Splicing Waterproof Mat Modular Interlocking Cushion Mat for Drain, Deck, Pool, Patio, Balcony, Shower, Kitchen, Yard (Gray) https://a.co/d/ciQgIp2

• KK1LKK1L Member Posts: 95
    I took a chance with with a pack of RUNNEN wood patio flooring from IKEA. Snapped them together and traced the floor pattern. Cut it out and fortified a few of the smaller pieces. It is a prototype of sorts and I will see how it lasts. It fits well and the plastic grid underside keeps it off the base and is softer than the base, so it should not scratch. Looks and feels pretty good for $25 and some labor!

The wood is attached to a plastic lattice in two places each. For the smaller pieces I heated up a small nail and pushed it into the plastic mat and then drove it into the wood. Held the nail with needle nose pliers and put it in a torch flame for 1 or 2 seconds. That worked pretty well.

After verifying the fit I flipped the mat over and permanently bonded the squares together by ironing the joints with an old travel iron I used to use to wax my skis :) 

73 es God Bless de KK1L, Ron <><
    2023 T@B 400 Boondock "Running up a T@B"
    Jericho, VT
  • berggerbergger Moderator Posts: 958
    We keep a nice velour type squishy mat in our bathroom for dry use.  It feels really nice on bare feet and adds a splash of color.  When showering we place that mat outside the door to keep it dry and shower on the bare floor.  After showering just a quick wipe down of the floor, then we open the curtain again, turn on the exhaust fan and it's all dry in a few minutes.  The dry air out west is nice in that regard.  We've stayed away from any mats to put on the floor as you then have two floors to dry out after showering.  
    2021 T@b 400 BD  "Vixen Gail" 
    2018 Nissan Titan Pro 4X "Big Bird"
    Leadville Colorado
  • jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,389
    With a paper towel. 😁

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• KK1LKK1L Member Posts: 95
    Chamois! 
    73 es God Bless de KK1L, Ron <><
    2023 T@B 400 Boondock "Running up a T@B"
    Jericho, VT
  • krsmeskrsmes Member Posts: 83
    We bought this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MSLJXU4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

and cut/rearranged it down to this:

And then we lift it out when taking a shower, step out of the shower onto it, then put it back in after.  Always stays mostly dry as well as hiding any dirt on the floor.
  • MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,580
    I'm in the Teak Wood (squares) crowd.
    Was super easy in a 320S.

'18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+
  • TABNewbiesTABNewbies Member Posts: 90
    Quick and simple for 2021 TAB 400 from Amazon 

ZPirates Bamboo Bath Mat for Bathroom - Natural Bathmat 16 x 27 Inches (W x L) Accessories for Bathtub Sauna Hot Tub and Shower Door

2021 T@B 400 BD T@bitha with 2016 Highlander
    Juliet and Andy in Massachusetts
  • elbolilloelbolillo Member Posts: 270
    jkjenn said:
    DenisP said:
    I will squeegee my walls, especially when camping in the east, too. 
    Same here. We have a squeegee with a hook that conveniently hangs under the shower head pole.
    @TABNewbies thank you-trying the smaller black version for my 320. $20-with no mods