Weber Q 1200 propane grill

Last night I was wandering around Home Depot when I stumbled upon a super deal. For some unexplained reason HD has dropped the price on the Weber Q 1200 grill (black) $60.00. From $199.99 to $140.00. One immediatly went into my basket. Out of curiosity i checked Lowes and they were still at full retail.

Merry Christmas to me, Merry Christmas to me.....
Gerri (Gary) Ewing
Montgomery TX (Birthplace of the Texas Flag)
2018 320 S - "No Agenda Hacienda"
Tow Vehicle 2023 Honda Pilot AWD

Comments

• DenisPDenisP Member Posts: 538
    Nice buy.  We use our Q1200 on almost every outing (except Harvest Host and Walmart).  It is a really a nice grill.  I have a 12 foot extension hose from our 400's propane tank which works great.
    2018 T@b 400, 200ah Lithium with Solar
    2013 Tundra TRD 5.7L
    Massachusetts
  • ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,395
    Good find. The Q is our go-to appliance for camp cooking. Grill baskets, the optional griddle, and a heat shield for baking really increase its versatility.
    It is a thirsty little bugger, though. Like DenisP, we run it off the T@Bs 20lb tank, as it is much cheaper and more convenient than fiddling with the little 1lb bottles.
    Happy eating!
    2015 T@B S
  • PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    My husband’s employer had a feedback system where people could give you accolades for your work and those translated into points that were good for stuff. Just before he retired he traded his accumulated points for a Weber Q portable grill. We love it, have cooked steaks, chicken, pizzas and other stuff when camping. We had trouble with our old camping grill when it was windy, but this one has worked great.
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • wooperwooper Member Posts: 75
    Thinking of buying one of these...I see the Q 1000 has the same surface size but no side platforms...$30 less...Do the side platforms seem important to you who own this?

2017 T@B 320S, 2011 2WD Honda Pilot, Coming out of The Woodlands, TX....Mark & Carolyn
  • DenisPDenisP Member Posts: 538
    We have a Q1200 and really like it. I utilise the side platforms every time I grill. The added internal height of the 1200 is a neutral benefit to me and requires a taller storage tote.
    2018 T@b 400, 200ah Lithium with Solar
    2013 Tundra TRD 5.7L
    Massachusetts
  • webers3webers3 Member Posts: 402
    Definite yes to platforms 
    2017 T@B 320S   2019 Jeep Cherokee - Southern Connecticut
  • JohnDanielsCPAJohnDanielsCPA Member Posts: 238
    wooper said:
    Thinking of buying one of these...I see the Q 1000 has the same surface size but no side platforms...$30 less...Do the side platforms seem important to you who own this?

I like the side platforms, but the deciding factor for me was the 1200 has a thermometer built in.
    2022 T@B 400 BD
    2019 Ford F-150 3.5L Ecoboost with Long Bed
  • ChrisandAlexisChrisandAlexis Member Posts: 120
    ++on the side platforms and I wish our 1200 had the built in thermometer. Our 1200 is an older model pre-thermometer. We have a newer
    model 1600 for home use and that one has a thermometer and we appreciate being able to know the temp.

Chris and Alexis-- Roseville, California--2017 T@B CS-S--Toyota 4Runner
  • TerryV6TerryV6 Member Posts: 1,092
    We have the q1000 and really like it..
    Terry & Jody...  2016 Dodge Ram 1500
    2016 NuCamp 320 T@B Max S
    T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI

++on the side platforms and I wish our 1200 had the built in thermometer. Our 1200 is an older model pre-thermometer. We have a newer
    model 1600 for home use and that one has a thermometer and we appreciate being able to know the temp.

I agree the thermometer is useful--my big grills have them but my older Q100 didn't. However, it was easy enough to purchase one and install it myself.
    2015 T@B S
  • BrianZBrianZ Member Posts: 1,763
    We got a Q1000 without side tables at a good price, then added them later & find them very handy.  There's no thermometer like on our big Q grill at home, but I don't miss it for the type of grilling we typically do.  I did recently get the refillable cylinder kit by flameking.com for cheaper/easier refilling from a larger tank & legal transport.
    -Brian in Chester, Virginia
    TV: 2005 Toyota Sienna LE (3.3L V6)
    RV: 2018 T@B 320S, >100 mods 
  • nhmikenhmike Member Posts: 94
    Yes to wings (aka platforms)  and thermometer.  Well worth the extra price.  The grill will outlast the price.
    2016 cs-s max
  • wooperwooper Member Posts: 75
    Just ordered the Q1200 model...I'm planning on using 1 lb propane tanks initially and may pick up some of the refillable 1 lb tanks to reduce waste.  Does anyone have an estimate on how long a 1lb tank will work on this grill...I saw somewhere it would be about 3 hours worth of use but that seems high to me.  I know it depends on how high you set the grill for, but an experienced estimate would be appreciated.
    2017 T@B 320S, 2011 2WD Honda Pilot, Coming out of The Woodlands, TX....Mark & Carolyn
  • Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    We have two Q’s, one in Michigan and one out west. I regularly use it on the tailgate of my Silverado to cook with it.  Great product! 
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
    I have the smaller Q (BabyQ/Q100/Q1000) and I'd guess three hours might be about the upper limit, though admittedly I've never timed it. However, a lot of that time seems to be for just getting the grill heated--as it warms up considerably slower than my big gas Weber at home.
    The Q is pretty thirsty. While I still use the 1lb bottles for my camp stove and lantern, the grill is almost always hooked to the T@B's 20lb tank via a splitter and hose. Definitely the better way to go if you are going to use your grill a lot like I do. 
    2015 T@B S
  • dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,916
    @wooper, we have the q2200 because there are 4 of us to feed, including 2 growing teenage boys. I  can't imagine using the grill without the extra side panels, and as @ScottG has remarked, these grills are very thirsty. They drink propane on a larger scale than most. We tried with the small canisters, but couldn't even bake potatoes. The 1 lb. tanks last in ours only 30/40 minutes. We carry a separate 20 lb. tank just for the grill. You might consider this overkill, but for us, with 2 bottomless eating teenage machines, it is an absolute necessity. That being said, the "Q" grills are great. Well built, multi-purpose and long lasting. Please look up the thread about baking with the "Q". It will extend function and add versatility to your cooking possibilities. Good luck and delicious experimentation to you. -Denise
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.