Single bed extension; related sewing help needed

AnneDEAnneDE Member Posts: 10
edited August 2019 in Modifications & Upgrades
Still experimenting with the best bed set up for us.  Going to try the two singles, with 4.5" (current cushion thickness) width extension.  These are the two wooden extension pieces that will be screwed down to the current slat lip (easy to remove if we decide to change back).  I need to make two 4.5" square bolsters to go under the couch back cushion/behind the couch seat cushion.  I have the foam and I have the fabric!  I have not, however, used a sewing machine in a few decades, so will need to check some youtube videos on how to cover a square bolster cushion.  Any key tips from experienced seamstresses/tailors appreciated!
Anne and Frank
2018 320S, purchased very lightly used (but without manuals)
2019 Toyota Tacoma V6 2WD

Comments

• teztabteztab Member Posts: 99
    edited August 2019
    @AnneDE If you have not had the opportunity to see the twin bed solution I have previously posted, you may want to take look.  It could give you more flexibility plus, you've no need to sew!

https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/7778/another-twin-bed-solution

• AnneDEAnneDE Member Posts: 10
    I did see that, thank you.  It was a great modification.  We want to keep the floor area open (no legs), so going with this modification.  I still will consider your trick of attaching the fabric covered bolsters directly to the addition, that has real potential! thank you
    Anne and Frank

• teztabteztab Member Posts: 99
    Ok, good luck with it.  BTW, the legs take up no room and, of course, we only have extensions installed at night...
  • GibWGibW Member Posts: 95
    We also did a twin bed mod and needed 4" x 4.5" cushion fillers. Got the foam at Joann Fabrics. Instead of sewing covers, I wrapped them as if I were wrapping a present and pinned them with safety pins. Has held up just fine. Eventually will sew covers but my sewing skills are pretty rudimentary. 
    2017 T@B Max-S, silver & silver, towed by a Titanium Silver 2018 Kia Sorento AWD V-6, Twin Cities MN
  • HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,491
    @AnneDE I did this mod, love it, and didn’t make the spacer pieces. Instead I use the gap for storing rolled beach towels, extra blankets for early spring and late fall trips, etc. With my thermarest pad and sleeping bag it’s a non-issue for me, and great storage! 
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
    Homebody, my husband has suggested we fill the space with capped PVC pipes that can be used as long, thin storage areas!
    Anne and Frank

• HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,491
    @AnneDE if you do that you might want to buy the hollow fencing posts as they are square and will not waste space vs a round pipe. Interesting idea and another reason I love sharing mods!
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
    Finished project!  4.5 inches added to each side.  Benches sit well and we will test how they sleep (with a memory foam topper on each) this weekend. Thanks for the help!
    Anne and Frank

• TerryV6TerryV6 Member Posts: 1,092
    edited August 2019
    @AnneDE,  Can you show a picture of how these attach?  Very nice btw...

My wife struggles with sewing, her mom made everything back in the day, and it was hard to sew the rectangular pads..
    Terry & Jody...  2016 Dodge Ram 1500
    2016 NuCamp 320 T@B Max S
    T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI

TerryV6  How-To-Make-a-Quick-and-Easy-Box-Cushion-Video this was shared with me on the T@b facebook group.  It made the sewing clear and simple.  Only thing I did differently was to not cut or add the bottom piece of fabric.  Instead we cut a piece of 3/8 wood to size, rounded the corners, and inserted it into the cushion after adding the foam piece.  We then compressed the whole thing and stapled the cushion onto the wood.  *Be sure to add the thickness of the wood to the foam dimension when drawing your dimension line for the cushion height, plus some extra so you have fabric to bring under and staple.  The wood brackets you see above are notched as needed to fit and simply screwed down onto the lip of wood in place (from the factory) to hold the bed slats.  We then screwed up from underneath that shelf into the wood bottom of the cushion.  Sorry I can't send a photo, as it now is all in place, and you can only see how the shelf is mounted if you remove the screws (from below) and take off the cushion. Hope this helps
    Anne and Frank

• TerryV6TerryV6 Member Posts: 1,092
    Thanks Anne,  I’ll pass this on to my better half...
    Terry & Jody...  2016 Dodge Ram 1500
    2016 NuCamp 320 T@B Max S
    T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI