Options

Another Twin Bed Solution

We always travel with our dogs, so a twin bed solution works best for us since it allows room for the dogs to sleep on the floor between us.  My wife and I also prefer the ease of access twin beds allow.  Therefore, I needed to come up with a long term twin bed solution.

As the following pics show, my solution is two upholstered extensions each with two fold down legs and a window sash latch.  They are constructed from 3/4" pine boards, 3" high density foam, batting and good quality upholstery fabric.  They fit snugly, are held firmly in place by the sash latches and have a nice OEM look and feel.  They can be installed or removed in a couple of seconds and easily stow away behind the rear seat.  When in place they keep the floor space free and when removed leave no signs of a modification.

These extensions took a total of about 3 hours to construct and cost about $50 for the hardware and materials.  If other forum members are interested I'd be pleased to post dimensions, construction details and sources of hardware, etc.

Comments

• Options
    danp212danp212 Member Posts: 44
    Wow that looks amazing, what an elegant solution. 
    2017 T@B Max S
  • Options
    reeddreedd Member Posts: 61
    Wow, this is beautiful and with very clean lines!  I would really appreciate seeing your design plans please.  Thanks so much teztab!
    Deb - 2017 T@B U-basic Outback silver/silver  D@mselfly  
    2001 Toyota Tacoma 4WD New Mexico
  • Options
    GibWGibW Member Posts: 95
    A very elegant solution. More details please. 
    2017 T@B Max-S, silver & silver, towed by a Titanium Silver 2018 Kia Sorento AWD V-6, Twin Cities MN
  • Options
    gbellgbell Member Posts: 88
    Would also appreciate it. I like the easy function of your set up.
  • Options
    teztabteztab Member Posts: 99
    Thanks for the nice comments!  I will post some instructional details tomorrow.
  • Options
    RWSmithRWSmith Member Posts: 12
    Wow! Just, WOW!
    2018 nuCamp T@B 320 S (Boondock), a.k.a. "Red R@bbit" • 2016 Jeep Cherokee "Trail Hawk" (w/ Towing pkg) • Mount Holly, NC
  • Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    Nicely done!
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • Options
    reeddreedd Member Posts: 61
    Teztab, this is brilliant and thanks so much for the detailed instructions!  Now the project begins.
    Deb - 2017 T@B U-basic Outback silver/silver  D@mselfly  
    2001 Toyota Tacoma 4WD New Mexico
  • Options
    CanyonTravelersCanyonTravelers Member Posts: 40
    Wow....I'm impressed.  Great design and quality construction.
  • Options
    I just noticed that the legs I used for these twin bed extensions are available again on Amazon....
  • Options
    KathrynDyerKathrynDyer Member Posts: 5
    I've begun the project! You instructions are fantastic. Thank you.  My cushions are beige-ish rather than grey-ish, so I took a chance on fabric from Amazon. It arrives on Friday.  The legs arrive on Tuesday.  I particularly appreciated the description of the items from Walmart, as I was able to get exactly the right stuff.  
  • Options
    That's great @KathrynDyer !  Good luck with the project...
  • Options
    dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,926
    @KathrynDyer, welcome to the forum! Glad to hear everything for your mod is going well. We'll wave if we pass you on the road sometime.  Happy t@bbing!
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • Options
    YarnstormerYarnstormer Member Posts: 4
    Love this mod! I just ordered the folding legs so they are back in stock. 
    2008 t@da and 1953 Holly
  • Options
    Good luck with it @Yarnstormer !  If you have not already seen it, you may also want check out an additional mod I recently posted, which makes twin bedding even more convenient...
  • Options
    mlovestennismlovestennis Member Posts: 1
    What do you use as sheets and blankets?  We just purchased a roadtrek and am looking for ideas.  Thanks!
  • Options
    jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    Welcome to the T@B forum @miovestennis. I guess it depends on the size of your bed/s. Search on “what size sheets” in the upper right search field-there’re lots of posts. Good luck!
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

• Options
    2manyplaces2manyplaces Member Posts: 20
    Spectacular, we were going to try using by removing the back cushions, but I am sure it would have been still too narrow ! Parts will be sourced tomorrow! Thank you.
    2018 320S
    Vancouver Island.

• Options
    Spectacular, we were going to try using by removing the back cushions, but I am sure it would have been still too narrow ! Parts will be sourced tomorrow! Thank you.
    Glad you like the twin bed mod.  I actually took it a couple of steps further with split seat back and thinner back cushions, etc.  So, in case you have not already seen it, you might also find this post helpful:
    https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/9440/more-twin-bed-seating-convenience#latest
  • Options
    2manyplaces2manyplaces Member Posts: 20
    Thank you teztab, I took a look, but i think we will work with letting the back down and building your extensions for the time being. I love how inventive you are.
    2018 320S
    Vancouver Island.

• Options
    FergieFergie Member Posts: 143
    I came across this great modification just a few months ago as the Covid-19 lock down was getting under way.

As a senior in my 80's with back problems, I have always had problems getting in and out of the the double bed configuration in our 2015 T@B. I made the bed slat modification and ditched the table shortly after we bought the trailer new in Minnesota before we moved to Alaska in 2017. We sleep head forward so we don't bang our heads on the rear cabinets! Getting up in the night to use the bathroom has been increasingly a problem for me with this arrangement to avoid kicking my partner and yet still not getting leg cramps because of pinched nerves! This solves the problem by providing a place to lower my feet on the floor as I am getting up. A great idea for us old folk!

However, there were two problems implementing this modification. The first was since the legs that Teztab originally used were no longer available I selected the ones below (based on user comments regarding sturdiness from several on the market) that turned out to be about 3/8 inch shorter when extended in place. This required fussing and several trials of stacks of wood spacers before I got the final combination and glued them together.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07MKY9XRK?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_dt_b_product_details

The second was that in my original mod to add the bed slot rails, I had significantly beveled the bottom of the passenger side rail upward and in to avoid blocking the slot for the heat at the top of the side of the seat. This presented a problem attaching the latch catches (I used two placed about 7" from each end) on what would normally be a flat surface. I solved this by using a carefully placed arrangement of washers under the catch brackets as they were screwed down.

I have completed one on the passenger side and have tried it out so I am in the process of making one for the other side.  We are planning a camping trip next month here in Alaska and once we are happy with the whole arrangement, I will trim up the wood for appearances and varnish it. Below are a couple of photos of the work so far. Of course I couldn't match the material so I opted for a contrasting color. The material is heavy, almost canvas.

Kudos to Teztab for coming up with this great system! We old folk appreciate it!

Fergie

• Options

Update:

I have now finished the driver’s side extension. In addition, I cut the straps holding the each of the two seat cushions together so the back could be removed giving another 4 inches or so of width to the bed.  Some time ago I had drilled holes in the back deck of our 2015 T@B to allow heat to flow up when the side slots were blocked with bedding. At that time, I also mounted some towel racks for rails to contain storage containers and prevent them from blocking the holes I had drilled. The storage containers didn’t work out too well, but I left the racks in place. It turns out to be a great place to store the seat back cushions when in bed mode.  All this can be seen in the photo below when in bed mode.

To return to couch mode just simply return the seat back to its original position which is Velcro’ed in place. (I added more Velcro at the cushion bottoms) The photo below shows the couch mode.

Again I thank Teztab and this wonderful forum for this and so many other great ideas!

Fergie

P.S. I did a backyard sleep out test with the new arrangement and this old guy can now get in and out of bed easily without pain and kicking his partner!!

• Options
    TampakayakerTampakayaker Member Posts: 554
    Fergie said:

Update:

I have now finished the driver’s side extension. In addition, I cut the straps holding the each of the two seat cushions together so the back could be removed giving another 4 inches or so of width to the bed.  Some time ago I had drilled holes in the back deck of our 2015 T@B to allow heat to flow up when the side slots were blocked with bedding. At that time, I also mounted some towel racks for rails to contain storage containers and prevent them from blocking the holes I had drilled. The storage containers didn’t work out too well, but I left the racks in place. It turns out to be a great place to store the seat back cushions when in bed mode.  All this can be seen in the photo below when in bed mode.

To return to couch mode just simply return the seat back to its original position which is Velcro’ed in place. (I added more Velcro at the cushion bottoms) The photo below shows the couch mode.

Again I thank Teztab and this wonderful forum for this and so many other great ideas!

Fergie

P.S. I did a backyard sleep out test with the new arrangement and this old guy can now get in and out of bed easily without pain and kicking his partner!!

We did a similar setup, except we put the extra cushions against the wall and pushed the mattress out over the extension.  We cut the straps also, hated doing it but didn't see any way around it. We didn't attach the extra cushions to the extensions like you did.
    2006 RAM 1500 4 door, 2016 T@B 320 MAX S 
    Tampa FL
  • Options
    KARKAR Member Posts: 84
    edited September 2020
    Fascinating! What do you use for your table now then since you tossed the table? It does seem nice to have the floor space! And the table is tricky to get up and down but it's nice to have the table when it rains. Thoughts?
    2015 Tab S with Alde 
  • Options
    To KAR:

We bought a small cheap folding table from Walmart that we either keep in the SUV or on the made up bed of the camper when traveling. It can then be used wherever needed. The first photo shows it inside (before we made the bed extensions). The second photo shows it outside where we used it to put our traveling drinking water when we were camped for a few days while traveling. We also sometimes put our little coffee maker there while we were camped. I frequently use it in our garage as an extra surface while working on a project.

I think it cost under $20! A very good investment!

Fergie

• Options
    VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,492
    I don’t even bother with a table...I pulled the Lagun out and tossed it into storage for the next owner along with things like the curved cushions. I use a tray on the cushions to hold drinks or snacks, and I tend to eat meals with my plate in my lap (same as at home, LOL). I have the exact same table @Fergie does in case I feel the need, but while it gets used all the time at home, I haven’t needed it in camp yet. But if I do, it’s way lighter weight than the one that came with my T@b.
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW