Options

Camping and Kayaking in Southern Florida... what about alligators?

mandtmandt Member Posts: 158
We are heading south to florida in february to several campsites including Myakka & Oscar Scherer (and others) and plan to take our inflatable kayak. So what about kayaking with possible alligators? Is it safe to do that? Or have I been watching too many scary movies.

https://www.amazon.com/Sea-Eagle-SE370-Inflatable-Package/dp/B001ASRVDK/ref=sxin_2_sp_qu_bss_is?keywords=sea+eagle&pd_rd_i=B001ASRVDK&pd_rd_r=fa722066-3cf1-43d7-b1f8-46663786289b&pd_rd_w=ObVYR&pd_rd_wg=Ihk1z&pf_rd_p=59c36603-576b-471f-8561-ef24e0883aa1&pf_rd_r=B0D4WF59CJESHHEKV1N4&qid=1566394036&s=gateway
Mickey & Terri
2016 Max S
Kalamazoo Michigan

Comments

• Options
    CbusguyCbusguy Member Posts: 771
    edited August 2019
    We have poly kayaks and have never had a problem.  With that said, it depends on whether camp visitors have been feeding them or not.  

If they have been fed they will come to shore when the see people like a dog hearing his bowl hit the floor.   

We general won't kayak if I see that...   But gator attacks are rare.    

Most folks see themselves as observers of the food chain and not a participant.
    2009 GMC Canyon,   3.7 liter 
    2020 320s Boondock lite, With Lots of mods
  • Options
    ChukkaredChukkared Member Posts: 2
    I grew up in Florida and Myakka was one of our family's favorite places to stay. It's been too long since I camped there for me to be qualified to comment on the gator question, but I would tend to concur with Cbusguy's comments.

Bernadette | 2008 T@B DM | 1995 Ram 2500 Diesel (I tow horses too!)| SoCal 
  • Options
    GatorEggGatorEgg Member Posts: 452
    I’m a native Floridian and have been in Florida lakes since the early 60s.  All bodies of freshwater are possibilities for gators.  I concur with cbudguy.
    2022 TAB 400 Boondock, 2019 Toyota Tacoma Sport 4x4
    2018 TAB 320 Boondock (previous)
    Odessa, Fl.  

• Options
    So it is okay to kayak in lakes or streams that have alligators present? Correct?
    Mickey & Terri
    2016 Max S
    Kalamazoo Michigan
  • Options
    There is no blanket answer.  

As gatoregg pointed out you should assume every body of fresh water in Florida has Gators.

YOU need to evaluate how the Gators are acting Everytime you take your boat out.  

Generally speaking you shouldn't have a problem.  But to ask us to tell you are absolutely safe is ridiculous.  

In brackish water such as mangroves you need to watch for sharks.....we see them on occasion but never had an issue unless I was fishing and the results are as you would expect.

Nothing worth doing in life is not without risk.
  • Options
    jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    @mandt One of the many reasons I enjoy this forum is it prompts me to explore things I know nothing about. My exposure to alligators was limited growing up in Iowa, so I googled your question. This is an interesting article about fishing from kayaks in Florida, but there are many more. https://www.reelpursuits.com/kayaking-with-alligators/
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

• Options
    Thanks jgram2. Great article. 
    Sorry about being "ridiculous" Cbusguy
    Mickey & Terri
    2016 Max S
    Kalamazoo Michigan
  • Options
    Not ridiculing you.

In a blanket statement we cannot tell you yes or no.   It depends on many things we cannot evaluate without seeing them first hand and you wanting a simple yes or no.   It isn't a yes or no question 

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,498
    @mandt, even if you don’t see them, they can be there.  As the article Judi referenced, chances are, as long as you stay in the kayak, you would be safe.  But... accidents do happen and you risk an encounter with an opportunistic gator.  Too many stories in the news of children, adults  and pets getting nabbed from the shore!  I would only venture into those waters in a big boat.  And the article gives you tips on how to discourage a gator if it does approach, which tells me, they will approach!  
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    I think I will stick to hiking and biking. Thanks all....
    Mickey & Terri
    2016 Max S
    Kalamazoo Michigan
  • Options
    TabberJohnTabberJohn Member Posts: 588
    edited August 2019
    Isn't gator-in-a-blanket a Cajun hors d'oeuvre?
    Would I paddle my Sea Eagle on most waterways in Florida? Yup.
    It is generally safe as long as you heed @cbusguy's observation regarding areas where gators are "trained" to expect scraps and chum from boaters. @jgram2's link covers all the other do's and don'ts.
    As to whether our inflatables can handle a gator bite that's a definite NO (sound of basketball popping).
    Adult alligator teeth aren't sharp but a bite force of 2000-3000 pounds gets the job done.
    Had you asked about snorkeling my answer would be NO! :o
    2015 T@B Max S (White/Silver) -> 2014 Ford Escape 2.0L (turbo, AWD, factory tow)
  • Options
    DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,410
    Be aware not all alligators attend all of the meetings and may not know what the proper conduct is. I always try to avoid anything that can eat me faster than I can eat them. I love Florida in the winter, but the only water I get in is the pool at the resort.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    mandt,  we have kayaked in florida, Georgia and South Carolina for years with Gators and sharks.....The only issues I have had was the sharks taking hooked fish off my line.    

We have experienced,  fed gators,  We were getting ready to put the boats in and they came right to where we were launching like we rang the dinner bell.    I did a what the heck pulled the boats and went somewhere else.   no biggy,   at no point was I in fear of losing my life.  Were they fed?  or were they use to snatching fish caught from people fishing from boats......I don't know......but I wasnt comfortable getting in the water.......My choice.

It isn't a big deal,  you just need to use common sense and be aware of your surroundings.    Take your boat and enjoy the adventure.     
  • Options
    spronzkspronzk Member Posts: 6
    I agree you need to use common sense.  We made a choice this winter to get a small dog and I won't kayak with him on the sit on top in fresh water as he's gator bait.  I might eventually feel okay taking him along once he's well trained inside of a sit IN kayak... maybe.  I love to snorkel but hesitate now even in clear spring water, though did in the past before I moved to FL.  Maybe I'm getting old.  I enjoy seeing gators on the shore or small ones nearby (as in Silver Springs).  We've hiked in the Fakahatchee IN the swamp (guided) and along the water (unguided) and kayaked down Taylor River.  We see them frequently all over down here.  As with scuba diving with sharks, it's exciting when you're doing it but you should educate yourself and respect them for what they are.  We see them everyday now when walking the dog around a local lake but look to make sure they're not too close and turn around if we think they are. 
    Go for it and use common sense!
    2017 T@B 320 S
  • Options
    GatorEggGatorEgg Member Posts: 452
    Common sense.  
      When I was a kid I used waterski around the gators.  “Don’t worry mom, I won’t wipe out”.
       I would also shark fish from a 14 ft Jon boat.  Caught a 300 lb black tip.
       45 years later I may have learned enough to “just say no”!

2022 TAB 400 Boondock, 2019 Toyota Tacoma Sport 4x4
    2018 TAB 320 Boondock (previous)
    Odessa, Fl.  

• Options
    rcuomorcuomo Member Posts: 319
    Last year I saw two kayak fisherman in Spruce Creek Daytona area. Both had handguns in their kayaks and when I inquired I received the same answer, in case we encounter alligators. Apparently in that area alligators are not uncommon and sometimes try to grab anything hooked.
    ‘18 Tab 320S- mfg’d 4/17, acquired 9/17
    Spare & bike rack on tongue, Renogy 100w suitcase connection, cargo & door nets, sway bar, wired rear camera, Norcold aux fan, front window protection, frame mounted sewer & water hose storage, Krieger 1500w inverter w/100Ah LIFePO4.
    ‘17 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E- 5000# tow cap, 600# tongue cap
    ‘20 Honda Pilot Elite- 5000# tow cap, 500# tongue cap
    Huntington LI
  • Options
    TampakayakerTampakayaker Member Posts: 554
    If you don't bother them, then most (emphasis on most) times they won't bother you.
    I've been kayaking for over 10 years in FL and haven't had any issues, but like everyone else has said use common sense and be aware of your surroundings.
    February won't be mating season so they will be calmer and the water temps will still be chilly to them so most of the time they will be basking in the sun on the river banks.
    I don't think there will be babies around that time of year, but whatever you do don't get between mama and her babies if there are any present.
    They are a wild animal so they can be unpredictable.
    And I don't think an inflatable would be a very good choice.
    2006 RAM 1500 4 door, 2016 T@B 320 MAX S 
    Tampa FL
  • Options
    gspdxgspdx Member Posts: 208

How comfortable would you be in this situation with a blowup raft?
    2019 T@B 400 BDL
    2018 Ford F-150 2.7L Ecoboost with tow package
    PNW
  • Options
    linolino Member Posts: 226
    I camped in a park in Sarasota 
    Alligators everywhere 

And there were canoes for rent in a state park

• Options
    DougHDougH Member Posts: 1,110
    We have fewer in Texas, but oddly their range goes well into North and Central Texas.  The Texas Parks and Wildlife service puts out maps of population distributions.  Squaw Creek Reservoir, near Granbury, is used as cooling for the local nuclear plant, so it makes a comfortable year round habitat, and houses plenty of the cute critters up to 14 ft.  So they're not only large here, but also possibly slightly radioactive?
    2021 Jeep Gladiator, 2021 tiny toy hauler, Austin TX
    Former steward of a 2017 T@B S Max

• Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    When the large ones grow their second heads is when you need to be more cautious...
    DougH said:
    We have fewer in Texas, .........
    ...... Squaw Creek Reservoir, near Granbury, is used as cooling for the local nuclear plant, so it makes a comfortable year round habitat, and houses plenty of the cute critters up to 14 ft.  So they're not only large here, but also possibly slightly radioactive?

Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    Emma62Emma62 Member Posts: 51
    I canoed in the Okefenokee swamp several years ago and it went well.  Not sure I'd want to kayak as you're so much closer to the water it would be easier for a gator to slide up on to the side of your boat.

Alligators are opportunistic predators.  You don't want to do something that makes yourself appear to be prey.  Avoid eating meats, strongly scented foods, or open wounds as they can smell it.  
  • Options
    JPRolandJPRoland Member Posts: 115
    I come from an old Florida family who moved there in the 30's when it was still pretty jungle-like. We lived on a river that lead to the inlet. When the tide went out the gators would be everywhere and when the tide came in we would have sharks. That's a situation where you have "brackish" water (part salt part fresh). The deaths I have seen caused by alligators has been primarily to dogs, small deer and children. Alligators like things smaller. If your three year old is on the kayak with you or your little dog, be extra careful. Don't feed the alligators. That's why they approach canoes and kayaks. It gets more dangerous the more comfortable they get with humans. They generally don't want anything to do with humans, but they are very unpredictable. Mommy gators are extremely dangerous when protecting their babies and that's a good reason not to get too close to any alligator because it may be a mother. Use plenty of caution around alligators and keep your distance.