Soon to be CS-S T@b'ers - Awning Curious ( retractable )

So excited!... we are just waiting for a CSS to pop up in the FL east coast area, but I am Curious ?!  Has anyone tried to get a "Retractable Awning" ? not a visor an Awning, even a Manual Retractable. I just saw the New MiniMax 2019 and IT has one. Just wondering... Can it be done? and if so where can I get one. I haven't seen anything online. Would LOVE to see your Pics if you have. Tks so much

Comments

• Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,350
    Probably not.  Run a straight rod front to back on the wall over the top of the door.  It's only 48" wide.  Also, their is no frame within the wall to attach the awning to.  The Paha Que awning or visor would provide much more shade.
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
  • Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,350
    Love spell-check: "there is no frame  . . . "
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
  • MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,497
    A lot of us who have clamshells spend at lot more time at the back of the trailer where the kitchen is than at the side.  I'd use it a few times to get a feel for what you really need before spending oodles of money.

San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,460
    edited August 2019
    @got2blee, over on the TaG forum there are examples of mounted ARB, Yakima and BatWing awnings.  Not sure if you could mount one of these to a TaB.  Besides a Clam shelter, I think a Hasika makes for easy shade, but it is not mounted permanently.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • got2bleegot2blee Member Posts: 15
    Wow these are all great options!!!.. I have also come across the Thule Hideaway any thoughts? Thanks so much everyone
    got2blee said:
    Wow these are all great options!!!.. I have also come across the Thule Hideaway any thoughts? Thanks so much everyone
    It might be tricky to mount a roof rack on a T@B to allow for one of these rack awnings. The walls are foam sandwich construction so you must be very careful about how towers are attached. I wouldn’t do it without talking to NuCamp. 
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Maceline your right but I can't understand how it's on some of the models and not on the others. Strange?!  Like the outback / bondox
    edited September 2019
    got2blee said:
    Maceline your right but I can't understand how it's on some of the models and not on the others. Strange?!  Like the outback / bondox
    The rack isn't on all models because it's an option. In any case, the rack on the T@B Boondock (as opposed to the T@G Boondock) is across the back of the trailer, so it's not useful for an awning. The factory can mount the racks because they know where the structural supports are in the interior of the T@B walls. It's not a great idea to mount racks yourself unless you know how to find the internal supports.
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
  • lkc001lkc001 Member Posts: 731
    The minimax is not a Nucamp trailer.

2016 Nissan Frontier SV V6 4x4
    Finally!  New Owner of a 2017 Tab 320S! 
    Woohoo!
    My husband said makes total sense... It's best not to fool round with it. We'll probably go with the visor their so cute 🥰. Thanks again 
  • jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,389
    lkc001 said:
    The minimax is not a Nucamp trailer.

Praise the Lord!

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• KFarriorKFarrior Member Posts: 13

These are the items I bought along with kedar rail tape I sewed on to make the awning. Cost 85.00. I also use a tailgate pop up tent and have side panel that have zippered windows I can use over the kitchen for cold, wet weather. It works great. Hope this helps.