Options

Uses for Refrigerator

We've now our 320 Boondock for a year now, and we've had some great trips. All of our trips were free of hookups except our first shake down in a RV park. We have always used a couple of ice chests that serves their purposes, but we have not used our refrigerator except to make sure it worked. I am interested in how best to ours. Thanks. -Doc
Doc & Valinda
2019 T@B Boondock Edge

Comments

• Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    Pantry!

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,592
    Mine starts out holding a day or so of real food just like a house fridge . . . very soon the T@B fridge seems to convert to a water, ice tea, and beer cooler =)
    '18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,421
    The fridge mechanicals themselves take up much of the space. If you are certain you will never use it, maybe consider removing it and constructing some real storage in its place. I did that with both my air conditioner and television.
    The T@B is just too small to be used for storage of unneeded appliances!
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    GatorEggGatorEgg Member Posts: 452
    I would like a different design, but we use ours fully.  I would have a much more efficient top loader which could also slide out the camp side of the trailer in my ultimate design.

2022 TAB 400 Boondock, 2019 Toyota Tacoma Sport 4x4
    2018 TAB 320 Boondock (previous)
    Odessa, Fl.  

• Options
    VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,492
    I do most of my cooking ahead of time and just reheat in camp (which is also what I do at home, because I hate cooking.) This last 3 day trip, I brought a chicken and rice casserole, barbacoa beef for tacos, and split pea soup for the day the weather reports were cold and stormy. Everything is frozen flat in single portion ziplocs and then loaded upright into a deep, narrow freezer bin on a shelf in the fridge...it holds about a week’s worth of single portions. Just enough accompaniments (cheese, tortillas, etc.) and any snacks or lunch meats all get put into small square or rectangular containers that can be easily stacked in the fridge to save space, and then a small rectangular bin holds my morning yogurt. There's just enough room left for a half gallon of milk, some soda, and a few bottled waters.

I did replace the z-shelf in mine with a freestanding shelf because I couldn’t fully use the space otherwise. I repackage almost everything for the fridge, pantry, and medicine chest, because original packaging isn’t designed to be space saving. And I’m with GatorEgg, I’d much rather have a built in ARB or IndelB than the Norcold, but I think I’ve pretty much figured out how to make this work as best I can.
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    4ncar4ncar Member Posts: 1,072
    Use it for liquids, veggies cheese & condiments. Use my Indel b for meat & fish and similar perishables 
    TV- '16 Chevy Colorado LT Crew Cab-DuraMax
    2018 320S Outback
  • Options
    MouseketabMouseketab Member Posts: 1,230
    When we are on a weekend outing with hubby cooking, we put meat, eggs, and omelet fixings, baked potato fixings in the fridge, portioned out in smaller containers and ziplocs to save space, and then we have a soda/beer cooler. For my solo trips, it's a soda/wine cooler/yogurt fridge, as most of my solo cooking is shelf stable/canned stuff. I usually pick up my potluck contribution the morning of and put it directly in the crockpot.
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2007 Dutchmen T@B Clamshell #2741
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    2021 F-150 502A Lariat SuperCrew, 3.5 EcoBoost 4x2
    Harvest, AL
  • Options
    mdvaughnmdvaughn Member Posts: 10
    Thank you for all of your comments. I'll try to use ziplock bags more efficiently, and prepackaging meals, but MuttonChops beer idea sound's good too. =)
    Doc & Valinda
    2019 T@B Boondock Edge
  • Options
    linolino Member Posts: 225
  • Options
    2Cougs2Cougs Member Posts: 904
    Those of us with the clamshell call it our condiment fridge!  Cheese, yogurt, eggs, a bottle of wine and a bottle of OJ.  Have found freezer works... 2 steaks, 2 chicken breasts, 2 burger patties.  But when food is in freezer, top shelf sometimes freezes.
    2016 T@B CS-S silver with white trim and WSU themed
    Pulled by a silver 2017 Chevy Silverado
    Leaves on T@bventures from Spokane, WA

• Options
    NanfromOzNanfromOz Member Posts: 1
    I want to find a cooler of approximate size of opening the fridge is in and use the space for the cooler and ditch the fridge.  (I have the clamshell.) I can manage to get my milk for coffee, gin for cocktail hour, and a few veggies and cheese in there if I am very strategic.  
  • Options
    jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    @NanfromOz I’m with you on the proper use of a cooling unit of some sort right up to the milk for coffee. And, Welcome to the forum! Now I’ll be humming “Somewhere over...” all night long!
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner