Grabbing/dragging Trailer Brakes 2020 Tab 400

JbreunigJbreunig Member Posts: 25
I have a 2020 Tab 400 with only a around 400 miles on it.  I have noticed my trailer brakes feel like they are grabbing and slow to release.  I also noticed tonight after towing it about 10 miles that the left brake smelled hot.  I used an infrared temp sensor and the left brake drum was 270 some degrees and the right was around 165 degrees.  I have dialed the truck brake controller to the lowest setting possible.  Has any one had problems with the brakes dragging and being slow to release? 

Comments

• N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    Sounds like maybe the mechanical adjustment is too tight. Those temps are way hotter than i ever see on my 2019 400.
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
  • Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,460
    I know the recommendation for the 320 is adjustment after about 100 miles.  
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • tepe50tepe50 Member Posts: 37
     I kind a have the same problem you should check and see if your wheels have a lot of negative camber because it sounds a lot like my issue.  My thread was 

2020 tab 400 tire camber

2020 tab 400 BDL & 2013 siver shadow 5x10
  • GatorEggGatorEgg Member Posts: 449
    Operator booboo here.  I usually don't publicize mine.  But, it might help.  I recently had the problem with our 320.  I have a Prodigy P2 with the ability to change boost settings with a touch of a button on the unit.  From years of driving and owning different brake controls with a manual activation switch in the same place on unit habit took over.  Upon a sway event(semi passing, etc) I would touch what habit told me was the manual activation only to later notice under strange braking I had changed the boost setting.
    2022 TAB 400 Boondock, 2019 Toyota Tacoma Sport 4x4
    2018 TAB 320 Boondock (previous)
    Odessa, Fl.  

• scarr4863scarr4863 Member Posts: 1
    I, too, have Prodigy P2 with a 2019 T@b 320 Boondock Lite driven by a 2019 Subaru Outlook with a 3.6R engine.  After driving it on a trip recently about 700 miles when I would brake at a light or slowly into a gas station the trailer brake would lock or seize up. Even to the point where smoke came out. After reviewing the manufacture's website we followed directions on recalibrating. https://www.tekonsha.com/products/brake-controllers/proportional-controllers/trailer-brake-control-proportional/TzaIxkVx1cI5XOy!osRB52uqDvaehMa!
     We set the controller down to a 6.0 and it seemed to solve the issue. Tekonsha recommends that this be done before each trip. 

We are just looking for information on correct settings by both Tekonsha and NuCamp. Just wondering if others have had this experience.
  • pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,604
    "Correct" is different for each car and driver.  My VW Touareg is much heavier, so I think my Tekonsha is set down near 1 or 2.  On my second trip, my brakes were too strong (skidding to a stop) so I recalibrated with their directions and have had no problems since.  The last item on my departure checklist is "Check Brakes In First Mile".
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • ginsbujginsbuj Member Posts: 44
    I have a 2019 TAB 320 Boondock pulled by a Chevy Colorado ZR2. Tom's Camperland in Mesa set the trucks stock brake controller to 5. After a couple trips I noticed the brakes skidding on gravel when applied. I turned it down to 2 and it seems to work fine.