2020 tab 400 tire camber

tepe50tepe50 Member Posts: 37
edited September 2019 in Trailer & Towing
This is our second trip and the brakes are heating up excessively on the right side. Even when I have the brake controller off.  To me it looks like the axle is bent.  There are scuff marks in the tire well where the tire is hit the inner fender well.  I even backed the adjuster all the way out. Temperature at the brake drum was over 200 degrees. 
2020 tab 400 BDL & 2013 siver shadow 5x10

Comments

• falcon1970falcon1970 Member Posts: 754
    Something is definitely wrong.  Have you checked the weight of the trailer--with all of the things you carry on a trip?  I have seen seriously overloaded trailers with the wheels splayed out like this.  An overload would not explain hot brakes on one side only though.  That sounds like a brake dragging.  ie: not releasing or adjusted too tightly.  That could either be due to misadjusted brakes or, since these are electro-magnetic brakes, a wiring issue.  If you disconnect the umbilical cord and turn the battery switch off (no shore power connected of course) you can remove the wheel and turn the drum by hand.  If it won't turn that would be a good indication that the brakes are locked "on."  If you can turn the drum, there should be very slight drag.  This is normal.  If there is no drag at all then the brakes are adjusted too loosely.  Too loose is obviously not the situation here though.  You should probably check both brakes while you are at it.  If the off-side brake is adjusted too loosely it may not be providing any braking effort at all and all of the braking is done by the "hot" brake--which is why it is hot.
  • tepe50tepe50 Member Posts: 37
    The tire was still leaning in even when jacked up. Wheel spins with just a little drag even with adjuster backed all the way off. only have half tank of water. I keep most of the stuff in the TV. You can see the brake lining is much thinner on the upper back shoe. Every thing seems to move freely  
  • CbusguyCbusguy Member Posts: 771
    edited September 2019
    with the brake temp super high and it apparently out of camber.     I will go with either an improperly torqued or bad wheel bearing.       The grease doesnt appear damaged,  I would reassemble it and retorque it to the correct specs and if that doesn't correct it back to the dealership.

have you measured from the top and bottom of the axle stub mount to the frame and see if there is much of a difference?

I agree  that angle isn't right.    
    2009 GMC Canyon,   3.7 liter 
    2020 320s Boondock lite, With Lots of mods
    edited September 2019
     Yeah retorqued everything the temperature is still high it’s just a pain just started a two week trip I just came to a screeching halt  Going to get a dealer call  
  • ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    You might contact the axle manufacturer with the images, just to see what they say.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
    @ChanW what am I missing in the images,  nothing jumps out at me?    I see the rub in the fender well,  some dust showing wear.    

@tepe50 did the retorqueing correct the camber issue?  Where did you find the bearing torque spec?   curious as to what it is.      

This has all the indications of bad bearings.
    Retightening the bearings did not work tighten the bearings to normal trailer bearing specs like I’ve always done on all my trailers never had a problem. The tires about a half inch away from the inner fender well other side is approximately a little more than an inch
    sounds like a bent axle to me.      now did it happen during delivery or prior to leaving the factory.

I looked it up and the dexter spec says 145-155 lbs,   seems high to me but what do I know.

• Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,460
    I suspect a bent axle, too.  Please contact the Warranty Dept at nuCamp.  You will probably need to see a dealer as well.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
     I contacted everybody to make a long story short I just happen to be in the area of the factory and will be stopping by there tomorrow hopefully.  Aaron at Nucamp checked all the trailer places in the area and none of them could fit me in. About a 3 Hour drive. 
    I thinking about this problem.......

The axle between the hubs isn't bent.,...but the axle stub where the wheel bearing ride is bent.    If it was bent in the main axle then there would not be any brake wear.  
     Update. Aaron and Austin at Nucamp got us in and all fixed up today with a new axle In about four hours awesome job. can’t thank them  enough.It’s the first axle they saw this issue They think it may be something internal.  They say these axles are pretty durable.Even the left side tire seems to be more up right now less negative camber. And I think the break was over adjusted but I’m not so sure about that. it’s fixed and they did an awesome job 
  • Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,460
    Glad it was taken care of so quickly!  
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • MouseketabMouseketab Member Posts: 1,230
    Awesome :)
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2007 Dutchmen T@B Clamshell #2741
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    2021 F-150 502A Lariat SuperCrew, 3.5 EcoBoost 4x2
    Harvest, AL