Pets in the tab?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
edited March 2023 in Camping & Travel
i plan on getting a cat and likely the 320 but I’m scared of the days where I will have to go out and leave the cat inside as I can’t take the cat with me; how do I make sure the tab is in the right conditions for the cat? Like cool in the heat and warm in the cold? Is it ok to leave the fan/ac/heat running while I’m gone? 

Comments

• Tundra57Tundra57 Member Posts: 640
    There is a thread I started asking that question. There is a pet monitor which is linked via cell service which will transmit temperature and you can set alarms. I leave my dog often for short periods with temperature set. Heating is not so bad if you leave some blankets to dig into. But heat could be a problem. If you can't find the thread leave a comment on this thread. Tho it is not a good idea to leave them for long periods of time. Maybe a few hours at most.
  • HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,491
    I take Reggie, my dachshund, with me most trips now. The first time I left him I was camping with a friend and she kept an eye on him. He loves to be inside and as long as he could look out (and drool on) the window he was happy. I've since left him for up to three plus hours, left the AC and radio on and he was fine. I've been watching other campers and they leave their dogs all the time. I also think it depends on the pet. Our other pup would not be happy in the trailer that long. I also taped a note inside the window by the door saying that if there was a problem or issue with Reggie to call, and left my cell number. That way someone would know his name and how to reach me.  I suspect cats might be easier than a dog, too. I have friends who travel with two cats in their class C all the time, no problem. Good luck!
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    I have the RV Pet Monitor. It only takes the temp once every 10 minutes. I use it in my truck to see if the temp is decent for my service dog to enter. I've accidentally left the monitor in it (it has a long-duration battery), and I've watched the inside temp of my truck get past 118F on a 71F day. Windows and doors shut.
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • grsiepkagrsiepka Member Posts: 58
    Just spent the weekend with our cat (Taco) in the T@B400 and she did pretty well. We were at an electric site so ran the AC during the day (90 outside) and opened windows when it got cooler. Didn't stay away too long since it was the first time out with her but will have to see how it goes. 
    She seemed like that little cubby hole in the front corner. She spent most of her time there lounging there or looking out the porthole window. 
    Need a better litterbox situation, we were using a portable one with a litter liner but honestly a small hardsided one would have been just fine. Kept it under the front table (converted to bed). And to be honest tracking litter outside the litterbox was kind of a pain, was sweeping several times a day.

2020 T@B 400 Boondock Lite - 2018 Toyota Tundra Platinum - Tempe AZ
  • Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,460
    @grsiepka, another 400 owner cut the bathroom door and housed the litter pan in the bathroom.
    I thought it was a good solution.
    https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/comment/111437#Comment_111437
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,491
    How about getting a small hand vacuum. Easier and more efficient than a broom for litter on the floor. Love her favorite spot! 
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • grsiepkagrsiepka Member Posts: 58
    @grsiepka, another 400 owner cut the bathroom door and housed the litter pan in the bathroom.
    I thought it was a good solution.
    https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/comment/111437#Comment_111437
    That's an interesting idea, although i'm honestly not brave enough to start chopping up doors yet. Our T@B is only a month old :) 

Homebodyatheart said:
    How about getting a small hand vacuum. Easier and more efficient than a broom for litter on the floor. Love her favorite spot! 

Yeah considering that. Thinking something like a swiffervac or something small, as long as I have a place to store it.
    2020 T@B 400 Boondock Lite - 2018 Toyota Tundra Platinum - Tempe AZ
  • GatorEggGatorEgg Member Posts: 449
    We don't do cats but our Catahoula hound travels the country with us.  If we have to leave him and it's hot, he gets the a/c on and is content.  Cooler areas the windows open and fan on.  He is protective of his home.
    2022 TAB 400 Boondock, 2019 Toyota Tacoma Sport 4x4
    2018 TAB 320 Boondock (previous)
    Odessa, Fl.