Options

Anyone Towing a 400 with a 4 door Jeep Wrangler?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
edited January 2019 in Trailer & Towing

If so, what is your hitch setup? Any issues? 

I have the new JL style and it comes with Trailer Sway Damping, but obviously that is just one small component of towing.  I plan to use a weight distribution hitch, and I have a lot of ideas on cutting tongue weight on the 400.  I found out the spare tire is mounted under the tongue so I plan to move that to the rear of the T@B. I have a Jack-E-Up device that allows the removal of the trailer jack after hooking up to the Jeep.  I will be removing the white table in the dinette area. I'm also going to switch out the larger propane tank for a half size one. 

My dealership is doing some tongue weight checks on a 400 they have in stock, and I have a call into the Jeep manufacturer to get the exact specs on my vehicle as far as weights and capacities.

Its looking like its going to work out fine. I just wanted to see if anyone else is towing with this setup.

Thanks,

Robyn

Comments

• Options
    atlasbatlasb Member Posts: 583
    Be careful about removing too much weight from the front of the 400.  I notice movement in just 10 gallons of fresh water in the tank.  Causes side to side wave type action.  Usually pull with empty tanks and do not notice it then.
    2018 T@B 400, 2017 Nissan Titan Crew cab
  • Options
    TabfortwoTabfortwo Member Posts: 157
    You'll need a weight distribution hitch the toungue weight is a little much with out it. Tows just fine though we went all over the uinta mtns in Utah ranging from 2000' to over 11000' 
  • Options
    Thanks so much for the pics and comments! Looks doable!! Yes, the weight distribution hitch is an absolute must have.   Glad to hear you didnt have issues in the mountains.  
  • Options
    MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,591
    Tabfortwo said:
    . . . Tows just fine though we went all over the uinta mtns in Utah ranging from 2000' to over 11000' 
    Which engine - transmission does your Jeep have ?

'18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+
  • Options
    Mine has the new Turbo 2.0 liter 4 cylinder DOHC 270 HP 295 left torque. 8 speed automatic, but it has easy manual shifting as well which I used in my 2 door when towing the 320.
  • Options
    Not left torque....lb ft torque
  • Options
    2018 jl 3.6 v6 with the 8spd auto transmission
  • Options
    Damonthomas515Damonthomas515 Member Posts: 1
    edited February 2019
    I installed Airlift 1000 airbags on My Jeep Wrangler JL. Cost was just over $300 at 4wheelparts. Leveled things out perfectly.
  • Options
    Thanks. I will definitely check into that. Thanks!!
  • Options
    dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,925
    @Damonthomas515, welcome to the forum.
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • Options
    AmazonicaAmazonica Member Posts: 151
    edited October 2019
    Hi robyn769, I picked up my 2020 400 BD on Oct 25 in Grand Junction Colorado, towed it on I-70 to Moab Utah, then to Durango Colorado. My Jeep is a 2019 JLUR with the 3.6L auto and towing package/sway dampening option. Let me state that I am a complete newbie to towing, but not Wranglers. I never wanted to get above 60 mph, although I easily could have. Had a stiff gusty side wind on Hwy 491, noticed minor movement but not enough to start “sway”. I do not have WDH but plan on adding AirLift bags to the rear to reduce the sag. The one thing I noticed was transmission Temperature. Mine stayed pretty much at 203, with a brief blip up to 218 up a steep grade. Keep a watch on your trans temp, you do not want it to get over 225. The 2.0 and 3.6L share the same 8 sp auto, I believe.  I drive cautiously, and completely “dry” except for propane, and plan on getting a “SmartWeigh” soon to figure out weight/cargo distribution. I also have a Prodigy Brake Controller which is wonderful. 

Good luck to you!  :)
    2020 T@B 400 BD w/Solar, Microwave and Closet
    Towed by 2019 Ram 1500 Rebel 5.7L Hemi 4x4 Crew Cab
  • Options
    N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    I think you are overloading the Jeep despite how good it may or may not tow. What is the Jeep hitch weight rating and trailer weight rating? Isn't it 350/3500? If so I would think the 400 is too much.
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
  • Options
    It's the same ser up as the gladiator thats rated for 7500lbs. pulls just fine other than it needs a trans cooler.
  • Options
    TabberJohnTabberJohn Member Posts: 588
    I'm not seeing a trim package for the Wrangler JL 4 Door that exceeds 3500 lbs towing capacity.
    Gladiator, no problem. :)
    2015 T@B Max S (White/Silver) -> 2014 Ford Escape 2.0L (turbo, AWD, factory tow)
  • Options
    rcuomorcuomo Member Posts: 319
    edited October 2019
    Seriously you think the Wrangler rear bumper support mounted class III hitch is the same setup as the Gladiator frame mounted class IV hitch? I don’t think so:

‘18 Tab 320S- mfg’d 4/17, acquired 9/17
    Spare & bike rack on tongue, Renogy 100w suitcase connection, cargo & door nets, sway bar, wired rear camera, Norcold aux fan, front window protection, frame mounted sewer & water hose storage, Krieger 1500w inverter w/100Ah LIFePO4.
    ‘17 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E- 5000# tow cap, 600# tongue cap
    ‘20 Honda Pilot Elite- 5000# tow cap, 500# tongue cap
    Huntington LI
  • Options
    CbusguyCbusguy Member Posts: 771
    The problem with these public forums is......some one with a very high experience/ knowledge level comes in and posts.....ya it can be done easily......

Then low/no experience user comes in and reads it has been done and tries to replicate the stated success.  Hopefully it only impacts low experience person instead of bystanders

IMO it is negligent to post advice that clearly contradicts manufacturer stated limits or capacity for equipment.

2009 GMC Canyon,   3.7 liter 
    2020 320s Boondock lite, With Lots of mods
  • Options
    GatorEggGatorEgg Member Posts: 452
    I always recommend if you’re in a “wonder if” situation to rent one before buying.  A couple hundred dollar expenditure is a lot easier to swallow than a few thousand.  If the plans falls through.
    2022 TAB 400 Boondock, 2019 Toyota Tacoma Sport 4x4
    2018 TAB 320 Boondock (previous)
    Odessa, Fl.  

• Options
    Brad42Brad42 Member Posts: 25
    We have an ‘18 JL Rubicon 3.6 auto. The JL Wrangler has a 3,500 limit (don’t forget the weight added in the tv counts), and a 350 lb tongue weight limit. I would have preferred the 400, but we bought the Jeep before we wanted a camper. I too (at least for a minute), tried to imagine a way to manipulate the math and justify towing the 400 with the Jeep, but knew I would be exceeding it’s limits. We have a 320s. Take it for what it’s worth.
  • Options
    tabiphiletabiphile Member Posts: 426
    From experience driving that turbo 4 cylinder 2.0 it is a very anemic motor that can barely get the Jeep up a hill. It would be a real challenge towing with it. Given that and the weight and towing restrictions this does not seem like a very good fit for hauling the 400.
  • Options
    rkj__rkj__ Member Posts: 641
    tabiphile said:
    From experience driving that turbo 4 cylinder 2.0 it is a very anemic motor that can barely get the Jeep up a hill. It would be a real challenge towing with it. Given that and the weight and towing restrictions this does not seem like a very good fit for hauling the 400.
    I have not towed with it, but when unloaded, I found the 2.0 to drive nicely.  Quite similar to the 3.6 IMO.  The 8 speed automatic transmission in the JL works well.

That said, I can certainly imagine that it would come up feeling weak, trying to tow a T@b 400.
    2016 T@b 320 CS-S - 2018 GMC Sierra - St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada
  • Options
    JohnDanielsCPAJohnDanielsCPA Member Posts: 238
    I have a 320S and, until recently, was towed with a 2017 JKU.  I just sold it and replaced it with an F150.  Was the Jeep able to tow the 320S?  Yes, in good conditions.  What people don’t consider is “frontal area.”  That is, how much of a “billboard” can you tow.  The 320S is well within the tow limits of a JKU; 3,500 pounds towing, 350 hitch weight. The problem is the JKU’s frontal area is 32 square feet; the 320S is just about that.  So despite the JKU able to pull that weight, any significant wind stops it in its tracks.   Being out here in the West, I just got tired of the constant gear shifting anytime the wind got up to 20 mph +.  As for hills, I could downshift to a lower gear and just go up slower, which I had to do with some of our more significant hills; Whitebird Pass, Pendleton grade, etc.  But that got old too considering I pull my fifth wheel up those grades with my F350 without even breathing hard.  Hence, the reason for the trade in.  So you are thinking of pulling a 400?  All I can say is good luck with that!
    2022 T@B 400 BD
    2019 Ford F-150 3.5L Ecoboost with Long Bed
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited November 2019
    tabiphile said:

You could not be more wrong. The turbo is insanely powerful! It tows a 400 with absolute ease.  I don't even feel it back there. Strong acceleration from stop lights, climbs hills with ease with the 400.  Only 1/4" squat on the rear axle with weight distro hitch. I can't even imagine how you came up with that statement if you had actual knowledge of the engine.  The turbo is insanely powerful.  I will end my comments here.  I wish I hadn't even seen your comment.  I actually stopped following this thread (and the forum) because I was done with the negative and uninformed comments. 
  • Options
    tabiphiletabiphile Member Posts: 426
    robyn769 said:
    tabiphile said:

You could not be more wrong. The turbo is insanely powerful! It tows a 400 with absolute ease.  I don't even feel it back there. Strong acceleration from stop lights, climbs hills with ease with the 400.  Only 1/4" squat on the rear axle with weight distro hitch. I can't even imagine how you came up with that statement if you had actual knowledge of the engine.  The turbo is insanely powerful.  I will end my comments here.  I wish I hadn't even seen your comment.  I actually stopped following this thread (and the forum) because I was done with the negative and uninformed comments. 
    Please accept my apologies in that case. I drove one of these just last week and my impression was not at all positive. That said, it was a borrowed vehicle and it is entirely possible that it was not performing optimally. 
  • Options
    Brad42Brad42 Member Posts: 25
    No need to apologize to this individual. If they want to exceed their vehicle’s towing recommendations, that’s up to them. You put your business on a public forum and someone makes a comment you don’t like? (Shrugs)
  • Options
    N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    @tabiphile on paper that four isn't hugely different than the V6 as far as HP and TQ.

The real issue with towing a 400 which is topic of this thread is the towing capacity as rated by Jeep, not rather there is power under the hood.
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    There are so many variables to consider: trimpackage of the Jeep, which year of the 400, whether the Jeep is stock or modified, and what you consider to be an acceptable experience.

I towed a 320 with a JKU and it was a terrible experience. Yup, it could tow it, but driving against a string headwind on a hit day, the engine got hot (yes, I had a transmission cooler.) Towing over the Colorado mountains was slower than molasses in January.

Driving a Grand Cherokee is a night and day difference. 

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014