Options

First winterize mistake, now what?

T_BDancingT_BDancing Member Posts: 85
Using antifreeze to winterize my '19 320 S yesterday and may be the Eastern Standard time has helped me to realize that I have forgotten to switch valves to winterize mode. So I am thinking that the Alde must be filled with antifreeze. In order not to waste the fresh antifreeze how will I flush it out of the Alde? I understand that I can empty it by opening the valve and save the antifreeze from underneath the trailer but how do I flush the Alde tank with fresh water? By opening or closing which valve(s)? Or I will have to empty all antifreeze from the trailer then flush the whole system? Your knowledgeable information is very much appreciated! Thanks in advance.
Tent to trailer w/TV: 2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude 3.6L
2019 Tab 320 S Boondock Edge and get me out of NYC!!!

Comments

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,500
    If you don’t plan to use the TaB with heat,  just leave the antifreeze in the Alde until you flush it out in the spring.  It is fine as is.   Just don’t use the Alde while antifreeze is in the Alde water tank.  Leave your valves in camping mode and thoroughly flush the system in the spring.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,427
    I agree with Sharon. However if for some reason you really want to retrieve that antifreeze from the Alde tank, just put the valves in "winterizing" mode (to isolate the Alde) and open the yellow valve as you described. This should allow the Alde to drain without draining the entire system. Leave the valves in winterizing mode until you are ready to flush everything out in the spring. The little bit of antifreeze remaining in the Alde tank won't hurt anything.
    To answer your specific question, there is no way to flush the Alde tank without flushing the entire system.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    Thank you for the fast response. I will continue to use the Alde heater whenever I am inside during cold weather. If the antifreeze is still usable after draining it from the system then I will have to face the fact to do whole system flush and save the antifreeze from the drain valves. It will be one less thing to remember comes next season. Also no bleach will be necessary in the Alde then. Am I correct or it's a waste of time and effort?
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    So, if you plan on using heat while winterized, you need to start over.  Thoroughly flush the entire system with the valves in camping mode (just to clear the Alde).  Then, put your valves in the bypass mode (bypass valve open, hot and cold water Alde valves closed) and winterize again.  In the spring, with your valves in the bypass mode, flush, then sanitize - this will avoid getting bleach in the Alde.  After sanitizing, then close the bypass and open your hot and cold Alde valves.  Camp.
  • Options
    Guess I will do that and I don't think I will ever forget anything on winterizing anymore. Like they say practice makes perfect! Thanks very much, Sharon_is_SAM.
  • Options
    One question I forgot to ask. Does it make a difference to flush the Alde with city water connection or water tank? Thanks.
  • Options
    CbusguyCbusguy Member Posts: 771
    water is water,   I would use the city as you have higher flow and possibly pressure for a more thorough rinsing.
    2009 GMC Canyon,   3.7 liter 
    2020 320s Boondock lite, With Lots of mods
  • Options
    Got it, Cbusguy. Thanks! Time to play!
  • Options
    @T_BDancing, I agree with Cbusguy.  The pump takes too long.  When we flush out in the spring, we go to a full hook up campground for this reason - and the sewer connection.
  • Options
    Done! Opened valves and saved as much antifreeze as I could, flushed the Alde, changed valves to winterize mode, refilled the fresh water tank, turned on pump, blah blah blah. 'Bah dah Bing, bah dah booing!' Thanks for all your help!

That's not a bad idea, Sharon_is_SAM.
  • Options
    We leave a note in the TaB wet bath and under the galley sink to remind us about sanitizing with the Alde bypassed.  When you do something only once a year, at our age, we need visual reminders!  Now, hope we don’t forget to read the notes!
  • Options
    Honestly, most of us are lucky enough to have this forum as a backup reminder! I know I am! Like I mentioned awhile ago, without reading lots of information provided by all the knowledgeable owners or not on this forum, I didn't think I would have bought the T@B that I have now.