More storage

Hi Folks,

As we are always looking for more storage areas in the T@B, we found a way to double the space above the passenger side window valence.

Anything taller in that shelf would inevitably end up on the floor when travelling. We had a small piece of natural birch left over from some previous mods, so we built a second shelf above the valence.

First we planed the face to a half an inch to match the original, dadoed the back side and glued in the maple veneered plywood bottom. All mating surfaces to the T@B received a bead of silicone adhesive, and then it was carefully placed in position and braced to dry overnight. So far it has worked well and seems rock solid.

Also made a couple of movable bins using plastic drywall mud pans and some 'J' hooks.

Here are some pics...

2016 T@B 320 Max S  "T@BsentMinded"
2009 Subaru Outback R 3.0
2022 Ford Ranger XLT Super Cab

Comments

• ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,396
    Nice! Is this just held in place by the adhesive, or is fastened somehow on the ends as well? I can see how you could attach the left side but the right looks a little more challenging.
    I like your re-use of the Swiffer box, too. I can relate!  :-)
    2015 T@B S
  • JanandDaveJanandDave Member Posts: 120
    @ScottG

Thanks

Just clear silicone on all edges touching the T@B, no nails or screws.  The rear side was a bit difficult to cut and fit to the curve of the ceiling, but with a lot of patience and measuring, it worked.   :)

• mrericmreric Member Posts: 154
    edited January 2020
    you know now that you have the actual pieces completed   you could actually use it as a template to create more and sell them to the rest of the community of T@b.  
  • lkc001lkc001 Member Posts: 731
    Forgive me for not understanding carpenter talk, but what exactly is "dadoed"??  hahahaa---- very clever and looks very nice =)
    2016 Nissan Frontier SV V6 4x4
    Finally!  New Owner of a 2017 Tab 320S! 
    Woohoo!
    @lkc001

Thanks

A Dado is a three sided "U" shaped groove with square inside corners cut into a piece of wood, with the width of the cut the same dimension as the thickness of the board inserted and glued into it.

Makes a very strong glue joint.  :)

• lkc001lkc001 Member Posts: 731
    @JanandDave. Ok - kind of like how they did the cabinets in my 320– no nails— they fit together like a jigsaw puzzle!

2016 Nissan Frontier SV V6 4x4
    Finally!  New Owner of a 2017 Tab 320S! 
    Woohoo!
  • jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    @JanandDave, does that mean you cut a notch in the curved ceiling at the rear of the shelf, or did you just use glue on that end?
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

Hi @jgram2

Just silicone on the end. The face of the valance, which you can see in the pics, is just scribed to the arc of the ceiling. So is the end of the 3/4 inch bottom, which you can’t see, and at such an angle, provides quite a bit of surface area to spread the adhesive. 

My first goal in any mod is to minimize or eliminate any permanent damage to the T@B. Technically, everything I’ve done is reversible to original condition. 

All in admiration of the good work the good folks do in Sugarcreek. 😊

@lkc001

you got it. 😁

• jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    Well @JanandDave, perhaps those good folks at Nücamp will see the great work you’ve done and incorporate some of it. Although I like the nets in our Outback, I prefer your shelves.
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner