Towing 320 BD with Wrangler

TaterTater Member Posts: 134
edited January 2020 in Trailer & Towing
I’m hoping some wrangler owners will chime in. I’m going to be buying buying a  Wrangler Unlimited. Do you people towing with a wrangler have the tow package ?  I’d like to hear from someone who does not as well.
320 owners please. Thanks
2019 320S Boondock Edge

Comments

• Brad42Brad42 Member Posts: 25
    We have a 2018 320 (non-bd) we’re pulling with our 2018 wrangler unlimited with tow package. If you’re buying a new wrangler, I would recommend opting for it. Not only do you get the hitch and wiring, but also the upgraded battery, alternator, and aux switches.

• SpanglerpdxSpanglerpdx Member Posts: 4
    I will let the more qualified give better answers, but I do own a 2002 Wrangler and a 2018 320U. The short answer is that I am hoping to never attach them to each other. My suggestion is to do some math above and beyond the number printed on the hitch. There are some nice towing capacity calculators out there. The math isn't complex, but there might be some digging required to get numbers like GVWR and GAWR for the Jeep you are thinking of getting. 

I was surprised to learn that even though my TV had a tow package, unless I added a brake controller, the trailer brakes would never get used. My much loved Jeep has an old man emu lift, and if I romp the brakes, it tends to lean forward and load up the front wheels. Things get a little squirrely, and my 1000 pound off road trailer doesn't help matters.  My 320U weighs almost twice as much. 

I love the T@B 320, and I LOVE my jeep. Have great adventures.. I will see you out there. 
  • TaterTater Member Posts: 134
    Unfortunately I’m not buying new one. Can’t afford it. I do hope to buy a 2014-2016. I do understand all the numbers and according to that the 4 dr unlimited should pull it no problem. The 2 dr versions would not be a good choice. 
    2019 320S Boondock Edge
    Spanglerpdx  is your 2002 a 2 door ?
    2019 320S Boondock Edge
  • db_cooperdb_cooper Member Posts: 726
    Our 2010 Xterra tows the 320 Outback great.  You can probably find a 2013-2015 pretty cheap.  Great vehicle with plenty of power and 5000 lb tow / 500 tongue rating.  Yes, I know it's not a Jeep.  :)
    2015 Max S Outback | 2010 Xterra

Thank you. .. but it’s not a Jeep. I have a vehicle that could easily tow it but I want another Jeep. I’ve had 3 !!!
    2019 320S Boondock Edge
  • AKDudeAKDude Member Posts: 2
    We've been towing a CSS 1760 lbs with a jeep 2-dr Oscar Mike addition.  we're not gonna win any races but it works.
  • CamakCamak Member Posts: 15
    The 2 door Rubicon tows the 320 Boondock very well at speeds under 67MPH  over 67 and the mpg drop to about 6, under 67 I average 12mpg. I pulled this camper from CO to NY and back with no issues. I do use an Anderson weight distribution hitch as well. The Rubicon has a 3500# tow rating like the unlimited has. 
  • WilliamAWilliamA Member Posts: 154
    edited January 2020
    I have a 2018 Wrangler 4 dr Rubicon and tow a T@G XL.  Keep in mind when doing the numbers for towing that there are "3" components, not 2.

1. Trailer weight.  In the case of the Wrangler Unlimited (with 3.73 or deeper gear ratio), 3500 lbs max for trailer. I believe that the Wrangler owners manual spec 2000 lbs max towing with the 3.21 ratio.

2. Tongue weight. For the Wrangler, it's 350 max tongue weight regardless of whether you use a WDH or not.

3. This is the one that virtually everyone ignores. Maximum trailer frontal cross section.  This number is simply the width of your trailer X the height. For my T@G, (5 feet tall x 6 feet wide) that number is 30 square feet of frontal cross section, plus a couple more for fenders, etc.   The Jeep Wrangler owners manual says 32 square feet max trailer cross section.  It's not just Jeeps. Most auto manufacturers have this number in the owners manual and its been my experience that virtually all owners either don't know about it or simply ignore it.  I know many Wrangler owners who pull a T@B. YRMV.....

WilliamA 
    2021 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
    2017 T@G XL
    Can generally be found around west-central Wisconsin.  
  • 4ncar4ncar Member Posts: 1,072
    I HAD an ‘08 4 Dr rubicon. I towed with it several times(320S outback). East coast mountains. 12 mpg, and it struggled up the hills. The rubicon came with the “tow package,” but the brake controller needs to be added. As much as I wanted to pair the two together, the towing experiance was lack luster....
    TV- '16 Chevy Colorado LT Crew Cab-DuraMax
    2018 320S Outback
  • rh5555rh5555 Member Posts: 484
    @Tater, if you're not insistent on a Wrangler, think Cherokee Trailhawk.  Almost as much fun off-road, way more comfortable on-road, and 3500 pounds towing makes pulling a 320 a breeze.  We pull at modified 400 and get 16mpg if we stay under 65mph, dropping fast at higher speeds.
    Roger and Sue Hill | 2020 T@B400 Boondock (Cryst@bel) | 2022 Land Rover Defender 110 - P400 | San Juan Island, WA
    edited January 2020
    I guess I didn’t mention. I’m not an off-roader. 
    I do like the fact it’s 4WD but the  #1 reason for the Wrangler is the top comes off. No other truck can do that. 

Thanks for all the info. I just bought a 2014  4dr with a tow capacity of # 3500 and the max tow package. The 2drs are the ones that can only pull #2000 lbs. If you stick with the 4dr unlimited they all can tow #3500 even without the max tow package. 

I will report back. 
    Tater
    2019 320S Boondock Edge
  • Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,420
    Well, first the Wrangler is not a truck, well technically it is a 1/4-ton truck, but fire of a utility vehicle.  On the other hand the new Jeep Gladiator is a mid-size 1/2 ton truck, and is really the only truck currently made that has a full removable roof, doors, and folding windshield (bug screen), just like the Wrangler, but is a real truck, with 6,000 to 7,500 lbs towing capacity, depending on the configuration.  I use a Gladiator Sport S with factory towing package (6500 lbs towing and 600 lbs tongue weight) to tow a TaB400.  You do however, need to install some type of brake controller on any TV.
    Cheers.

2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • DougHDougH Member Posts: 1,110
    @Denny16 ; Envy! We're hoping to buy a diesel Gladiator once our current tow vehicle wears out. First year kinks should be worked out by 2022-2023. I kinda wish they'd make a PHEV variant with a small diesel generator that out-accelerates the cyber-truck... but I don't think that's in the FCA's plans. Have had a couple convertibles in years past though, and love the idea of a truck with that potential open driving experience! 
    2021 Jeep Gladiator, 2021 tiny toy hauler, Austin TX
    Former steward of a 2017 T@B S Max

I am getting a brake controller installed. Don’t really care if it’s an actual “ Truck “
    Gladiator is way overkill for me. Only pulling 
    #2200 Pounds. 

Happy Camping
    2019 320S Boondock Edge
  • Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,420
    You should be just fine, my previous post was more “tongue-in-cheek”.  The Wrangler is a nice Jeep, enjoy!
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • tybladesmithtybladesmith Member Posts: 178
    edited January 2020
    Buyer beware. If the unlimited is not a Rubicon, it may not have 4.10 axle ratio. My 2013 JK Unlimited had the tow package  but only 2000# towing capacity. I had to replace it with 2018 Chevy Colorado 2.8L Duramax.
    Kay and Tom - SW Wisconsin - Silver T@bernacle - 2018 T@B 320S Boondock Silver/Black trim TV, 2018 Chevy Colorado, Silver/Black trim, Duramax, TowHaul, IntelliHaul
    Not sure where the info is coming tyblades
    All the Unlimiteds  (4drs) can Tow #3500 pounds.  The 2dr models can only pull #2000. 

Happy Tabbing !!
    2019 320S Boondock Edge
  • WilliamAWilliamA Member Posts: 154
    All of the previous models of Jeeps (JK) were sorted on towing capacity by gear ratio.  Early JK's with 3.21 gears only had the 2000# capacity while the 3.73 and lower (numerically higher) like the 4.10 in the Rubicon and Willy's had the 3500# capacity for the 4 doors.  
    In any case, you'd not be happy trying to tow much of a trailer with the old 3.21 ratio.  The new JL has an 8 speed automatic with a deeper 1st gear so even the Sport model with the stock 3.45 ratio is more capable as a mule than the older JK. In addition, the JL model has a slightly longer wheelbase and the JL Rubicon model has much larger brakes than the JK.  It all makes a difference.

WilliamA
    2021 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
    2017 T@G XL
    Can generally be found around west-central Wisconsin.  
    Your correct William. Thanks
    2019 320S Boondock Edge
  • TimandMargoTimandMargo Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2017 JKU with tow package and a 2017 Outback.  My short answer about how it tows... it depends on where you are towing.  I live in the Rockies and it is a slow ride up Berthoud, Rabbit Ears and Willow Creek Passes.  On the open road it's fine.  In state and locally I use my RAM with 5.7 hemi.
    2017 T@B Outback 2017 - TV 2017 Wrangler 4 Door. NW Indiana & High Country Colorado
  • 4ncar4ncar Member Posts: 1,072
    Had a2008 Unlimited Rubi. LOVED IT until I towed with it.  Now I tow with a '16 Colorado Diesel.  I was walking the lot of my favorite Chevy dealer(turned everything else but Ford) looking at the new Jeeps.  I nearly shad myself when I saw the MSRP of a Rubicon Gladiator...I cant imagine what the ecodiesel version will cost... probably 80 grand...I had the ecodiesel Grand Cherokee also.  Capable tow vehicle with great fuel economy, and TONS of torque(420 Ft/lbs)
    TV- '16 Chevy Colorado LT Crew Cab-DuraMax
    2018 320S Outback