Towing with a 1 ton pickup

HalooHaloo Member Posts: 137
I know it’s crazy.  But I have a one ton pickup that I might want to use occasionally to tow our TAB400.  I think NuCamp says not to tow with more than a 3/4 ton.  Why?
T@B 400 | F150 | Washington State

Comments

• pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,604
    Here is one thread about the issue:  a big truck is less flexible than a smaller truck, and transfers vibrations, etc, to the trailer's weaker frame.

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,916
    You will be playing crack the whip with your t@b 400. If you have ever played the game with bigger, stronger kids, you know they  will kick the stuffing out of you.  Same thing will happen to your trailer.
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    @Haloo I commented in the linked thread about my 2500 experience (all good), so it might honestly depend a bit on your 3500. Older ones, especially single rear wheel ones aren't much different than a 2500, in fact the weight rating increase is likely just heavier spring packs which may be doing nothing with lighter loads. Newer 2500 and 3500 trucks are in a towing and weight race and are rated crazy amounts higher than the same trucks a few years old, as I said in other thread, my 2500 is near GVW towing a Tab 400 and tows very well, maybe better than a newer 2500 due to lower weight rating of truck and being loaded heavy. YMMV
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
  • HalooHaloo Member Posts: 137
    Thanks for the comments.  I also read the “can you ever have too much truck” thread — thanks for the link @pthomas745. I did search the topic and didn’t find that thread.  Go figure.

I guess I’ll limit towing the 400 with our F350.  It would be kind of fun though.  Kind of like towing a dinghy behind a supertanker.
    T@B 400 | F150 | Washington State