Options

Tab 400 Tub Lid (ram mod)

Anybody added the lid ram to an older 400 that just came with the cable stay?

Looking to get the parts to do that and mod my 2019. Part number for the ram and the mounts?

Photos of a 2020 or newer showing how and where the ram is mounted would be appreciated too.
2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite

Comments

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    I did, but I had Austin at nüCamp install it since he was doing other things to my 2019 T@B 400. I do not have the part number, but I’ll bet you can get it from Missouri Teardrop. 

It’s dark and snowing, snowing much of the weekend, so I’ll make a reminder for Monday for the photo. 

And, it’s so great that I actually have forgotten that it wasn’t always there.
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    falcon1970falcon1970 Member Posts: 758
    I added the gas piston on my 2019 400.  The parts you need are:
    One (1) Part # 56004267 (the prop itself)
    One (1) Part # 56004268 (one of the attachment brackets)
    One (1) Part # 56004269 (the attachment bracket for the other end)
    These are the nuCamp part numbers so your (or any) dealer can order them from nuCamp.
    There was an earlier discussion about mounting this but here are the photos I uploaded

• Options
    I guess I’ll delete my reminder. Thank you @falcon1970
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    I agree with you @Verna, it is really handy.  Much better than the wimpy cable stays that separated with the first use.  In my pictures you can see the chains I originally installed to replace the wires.  I have since removed those.
  • Options
    @N7SHG_Ham
    The way to install the gas lift is to center the bottom bracket and attach it, install the gas spring to the bottom and top brackets, then see where the upper bracket lands on the lid and mark it.  Remove the upper bracket from the strut and attach it to the lid, then reattach the strut.  I used stainless steel bolts and nylon locknuts.
  • Options
    @falcon1970, yes, no more bruised forearms!
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,494
    @N7SHG_Ham
    The way to install the gas lift is to center the bottom bracket and attach it, install the gas spring to the bottom and top brackets, then see where the upper bracket lands on the lid and mark it.  Remove the upper bracket from the strut and attach it to the lid, then reattach the strut.  I used stainless steel bolts and nylon locknuts.
    So, if I’m reading this right,  the bolts and locknuts aren’t included when ordering the parts?
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    Thanks all, looks like it is centered on the lid other than on the side like the cable stay? Also looks like the part that mounts to tub is ALL the way up as high as it can go.

Looks like an easy DIY with a drill.

Rest of mods are in this photo, dual tank brackets and a screen back, plus I had the Fab shop move the tub back to close what I thought was a pretty large space between tub and trailer.

• Options
    @VictoriaP
    They didn't come with my order.  However, Lowe's, Home Depot, or any hardware store will carry them.
    @N7SHG_Ham
    It really is an easy install--except it is a bit awkward holding a backup when tightening the bolts.
  • Options
    BaylissBayliss Member Posts: 1,303
    Just an FYI for anyone interested in purchasing the parts listed by @falcon1970 (thank you for that!), I just ordered the parts to install the gas-asssist strut arm and brackets from Missouri Teardrop Trailers.  The cost, including shipping (to Arizona), was $37.95.  After reading the above posts, I also requested that they ask nüCamp include the screws, nuts and locknuts.  "Barb" at Missouri Teardrops told me that if you do not specifically ask nüCamp to include the necessary hardware, they don't send it.
    2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite2007 Toyota Tundra 4x4
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)
    Greg & Marlene (Tucson, AZ)

• Options
    @Bayliss
    It seems strange that they would sell something and not include the attaching hardware.  I suppose they are thinking you must be ordering a replacement arm and would already have the nuts and bolts.  By the way, I used stainless steel nuts and bolts and used nylon lock nuts just to avoid having to tighten the nuts every so often.
  • Options
    BaylissBayliss Member Posts: 1,303
    edited March 2020
    Thanks @falcon1970.  Stainless steel and nylon lock nuts are a good suggestion.

It does seem counter-intuitive for nüCamp not to include the hardware.  Barb at Missouri Teardrop Trailers told me that they have ordered parts in the past from nüCamp for their own use and they too have not received the hardware (because they didn't specify to include those parts.)  I guess nüCamp just takes the order literally and only ships exactly what you asked for (i.e., the part numbers you provide.)
    2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite2007 Toyota Tundra 4x4
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)
    Greg & Marlene (Tucson, AZ)

• Options
    FYI, I ordered the ram awhile back and it came with attachment hardware; pop rivets. I haven't had a chance to install yet, so will evaluate whether I want to use those or bolts when I get around to installing. I have a rivet gun so no issues with the install of I decide to go that way.
  • Options
    Now that I think about it, I think mine came with pop rivets also.  Doesn't sound like a real good solution anyway.  Probably why I didn't use them.
  • Options
    I wonder if the factory installed ones use rivets?
  • Options
    Yes, the factory uses pop rivets on the front tub gas strut. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    Thanks @Verna
  • Options
    targtarg Member Posts: 81
    Any reason why this wouldn't retrofit to an older 320 with the smaller box?
    The capacity to learn is a gift; The ability to learn is a skill; The willingness to learn is a choice. | -REBEC OF GINAZ
    2019 T@B 320S BD Lite, Jeep TJUR, Jeep JT

• Options
    JeffroNCJeffroNC Member Posts: 366
    Finally got this done. I can't believe I waited so long. Thanks for the help.

J
    2019 T@B 400 BDL 2017 F150 3.5L Ecoboost
    Jeff & Amy
    Now in Manistee, MI