Options

Jensen Radio Disconnect

I've been searching all night for a discussion on how to wire a power disconnect toggle into the cabinet next to the Jensen radio.  I saw it earlier this week, but I cannot find it.

Does anyone have any instructions?  How to identify the power line?  Where to source the toggle switch?

I have a 2016 T@b.

Thanks
Steve & Sherry
2016 T@b Q
Lakeville, MN

Comments

• Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,356
    Remove the unit from the cabinet. You'll see a bunch of wires going into it. The positive power lead is the one that goes to the back of the Jensen and also to the 12v cigar outlet under the cabinet. I recall mine being red. You just need to put the new 12v switch in this line. You'll also need to drill a hole in the wood panel separating the Jensen cabinet from the center cabinet. I'll find some pics and post.
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
  • Options
    My Jensen has a red wire with a label that states "12v DC Direct." I put the switch between it and the brown wire coming out of the wall.  The brown wire has a connector that feeds two red wires - one to the Jensen and the other to the cigar outlet.
  • Options
    sranderlesranderle Member Posts: 78
    Where did you get your toggle switch?
    Steve & Sherry
    2016 T@b Q
    Lakeville, MN
  • Options
    I found several switches at the auto parts store.

http://www.autozone.com/electrical-and-lighting/rocker-switch/dorman-red-led-glow-round-style-rocker-switch/412545_0?_requestid=2332581

My understanding of wiring leads me to this.  Cut the power line to the stereo.  Crimp a blade connector to each end of the cut wire.  The incoming power connector is attached to the load connection on the switch, the outgoing connector to the stereo is connected to the accessory connector on the switch.

Did you connect the ground on the switch to anything?

Steve & Sherry
    2016 T@b Q
    Lakeville, MN
  • Options
    No grounding.  My switch only had two posts. Didn't matter which wire went on which switch post.  All you're doing is interrupting the power going into the Jensen with the switch.  Any 12v switch will do, but the simpler, the better.
  • Options
    Were you able to go directly from the cut power wire to the switch, or did you need to splice in longer feeder wires to the switch?

Steve & Sherry
    2016 T@b Q
    Lakeville, MN
  • Options
    Steve - I'll go take some photos now that the sun is up and post them for you.
  • Options
    My desktop doesn't recognize my smartphone this morning. Will post photos later this morning.
  • Options

Here is the 12v switch next to the Jensen unit.

View of the opening for the switch (have not sized it yet for square switch):

Main lead that powers the Jensen (note wire crimp under thumb). the other end of the crimped wire goes to the new 12v switch.

View of the cigar lighter black and red leads.  Follow the red lead back to a factory crimp.  that crimp should also have the red wire going to the Jensen (marked "12v DC Switched").

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Thank you, @Tabaz. I finally got “roundtoit” and put the rocker switch on my Jenson entertainment center. Ahhhhh, no more blue light in the middle of the night!  

(My Jensen is one that you can dim the blue light, but can’t turn it off.)
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    AmazonicaAmazonica Member Posts: 151
    Hi @Verna, I see by your signature line you have a 400 (like me). I am interested in putting in a switch that turns off the TV and Jensen. That TV blue light is super bright, plus I want to eliminate as much parasitic draw as possible for boondocking. I searched for a thread on this, but I am not even sure what to call it. I think I could pull the fuse, but seek a simpler solution that won't have me crawling under the table and risk losing the fuse.

Did you find the 400 wiring similar to Tabaz's 320? I'm no pro by any stretch. Would those pics posted above help if I were to tackle this?

Would you happen to have any photos of your install or advice?
    2020 T@B 400 BD w/Solar, Microwave and Closet
    Towed by 2019 Ram 1500 Rebel 5.7L Hemi 4x4 Crew Cab
  • Options
    DenisPDenisP Member Posts: 539
    edited February 2020
    @Amazonica, I used the same switch in my 400 for over a year with success. Very easy. 
    2018 T@b 400, 200ah Lithium with Solar
    2013 Tundra TRD 5.7L
    Massachusetts
  • Options
    CrabTabCrabTab Member Posts: 457
    edited February 2020
    Glad this thread resurfaced from the depository of knowledge. Great stuff @Tabaz !

2019 320 Boondock Edge
     - Sold Jan 2022
  • Options
    DenisPDenisP Member Posts: 539
    edited February 2020
    @Amazonica I also installed a switch for the Jensen which was a little bit more work but worth it for me.  QOFOWIN Rocker Toggle Switch,12V... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07SC27364?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share
    2018 T@b 400, 200ah Lithium with Solar
    2013 Tundra TRD 5.7L
    Massachusetts
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    Thank you Mrkylew, and DenisP, I appreciate the input, photos, and your time.

Pardon my stupid questions, it's looking to me like I'll have to install two separate switches, one for the TV and one for the Jensen, correct? I was hoping that since they are "connected", I could install one switch for both.

Is it easy to see where to tap in on the back of the Jensen? When you drill your switch hole, is there anything you have to "look out for" behind? I'm not good with power tools, and am scared of electricity when I'm messing with wires. Did you all disconnect the battery first? Is the "ground" easy to wire up? 
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    See if one of these inline switches will work for your TV @Amazonica. I remember someone posting a similar product some time ago. BTW- No such thing as a stupid question!

https://www.amazon.com/12V-Inline-Switch-iCreating-Connector/dp/B0782JXQNP/ref=sr_1_8?keywords=inline+12vdc+switch&qid=1581611969&sr=8-8

2019 320 Boondock Edge
     - Sold Jan 2022
  • Options
    Thank you @CrabTab:) You may change your mind...
    Is this where I would plug in the 12V Inline switch (red arrow) on the back of the TV? It looks like that switch mentioned above doesn't require cutting wires, correct? Just plug it in?

• Options
    Yes, yes and yes.  :)

2019 320 Boondock Edge
     - Sold Jan 2022
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,642
    @Amazonica you can also save 7 bucks by just pulling that power cord out of the TV if you don't watch a lot. (I bought the previously posted cables). 
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    Thank you CrabTab and DenisP. Got that TV switch in my cart.

Ok, now the Jensen switch. @DenisP thank you for the link. I'm searching for one like your photo - but no light.

I come up with the wood that I'll have to drill into, being 7/16" thick (pink arrow). Does that seem correct to those of you who drilled? What size Hole bit did you use please? I really am clueless when it comes to tools and handyman (handyperson?) stuff. Is the big black cable where you cut to put in the Jensen switch (yellow arrow)? I see the skinny blue wires go to the light switch, and I see the HDMI cable. 
  • Options
    True pthomas745. I seriously didn't even think of that!  :o My brain is mush...
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    @Amazonica, I have not installed the Jenson rocker switch in my T@B 400, although I have installed the in-line rocker switches on my TV’s (see @CrabTab comment and photo above). 

I always have a jacket hanging on a swivel hook above the Jenson, so it covers the blue light and the light doesn’t bother bother me. 

The TV in-line switch is just the easiest mod you can do, along with one of the least expensive. It is one of my favorite mods. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    Ooops, ok I see the wires labeled "Ground" (white to black) and "+12VDC Switched" (Black to Red). I'm guessing this is where I'll wire in the switch? Up close to the speaker inside the cabinet space?

• Options
    Thank you Verna.  :) I may be tackling more than I can handle with the Jensen...
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,445
    That would work if mounting to a thin panel, up to 1/16th inch, any thicker and the snap in clips will not have a good hold.
    cherrs
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    TampakayakerTampakayaker Member Posts: 554
    Amazonica said:
    Thank you CrabTab and DenisP. Got that TV switch in my cart.

Ok, now the Jensen switch. @DenisP thank you for the link. I'm searching for one like your photo - but no light.

I come up with the wood that I'll have to drill into, being 7/16" thick (pink arrow). Does that seem correct to those of you who drilled? What size Hole bit did you use please? I really am clueless when it comes to tools and handyman (handyperson?) stuff. Is the big black cable where you cut to put in the Jensen switch (yellow arrow)? I see the skinny blue wires go to the light switch, and I see the HDMI cable. 
    That black wire with the yellow circle looks like the antenna cable.

If you don't want to drill a big hole in your cabinets, I got a toggle switch with a surface mount bracket from NAPA to mount a switch on my truck dash.
    2006 RAM 1500 4 door, 2016 T@B 320 MAX S 
    Tampa FL
  • Options
    Thank you @Denny16.

@Tampakayaker I'm interested in my options, given my low skill and knowledge level. What are the particulars on your Surface Mount Bracket? Am I only needing to tie into the Ground and +12VDC wires (two only)?
  • Options
    TampakayakerTampakayaker Member Posts: 554
    edited February 2020
    Amazonica said:
    Thank you @Denny16.

@Tampakayaker I'm interested in my options, given my low skill and knowledge level. What are the particulars on your Surface Mount Bracket? Am I only needing to tie into the Ground and +12VDC wires (two only)?
    I did a search on NAPA for the bracket I purchased and it was no longer listed.  I didn't have a clear space on my truck dash to drill a hole and mount a toggle switch from the back and wire it.  I found a surface mount bracket that looked like a fat L shape.  One side had 2 small holes to screw it onto a flat surface and the other leg had a hole to mount the switch.  It left the bottom of the switch exposed, so depending on where you want to mount the switch it could be ugly. 

You just need a simple single pole single throw 12V toggle/rocker switch. 2 connections for the wire and a simple on/off action. You only need to break the 12V positive wire to connect to the switch.  You don't mess with the ground.  Some of the fancier switches have a small LED light in them that would require a ground, but since you want to eliminate a drain on your battery you wouldn't want them.  You can find a simple switch on Amazon, at Wal-Mart automotive aisle or any auto parts stores.  The toggle type would be the easiest to mount since it would require 1 hole to be drilled.  A rocker type would usually require a square/rectangle hole to be cut.  Look for a toggle switch that has a neck long enough to go thru the thickness of the wood where you're mounting it and to allow the nuts and washer to fit.  Whatever switch you purchase there should be information on the diameter hole you need to drill to fit the switch thru.  Remember the switch will come from the back (where the wires are connected) thru the front of the mounting surface.  I hope this makes sense.  You can google toggle switch and see how people install them on various applications.  The one below has wires connected that you would just have to cut and connect the 12V positive lines to.

8 Amp Single-Pole Toggle Switch 1-Pack
    2006 RAM 1500 4 door, 2016 T@B 320 MAX S 
    Tampa FL