Options

Jensen Radio Disconnect

2»

Comments

• Options
    AmazonicaAmazonica Member Posts: 151
    Thank you @Tampakayaker. So if I'm understanding correctly, I only tap into the Jensen radio on the wire marked "+12VDC Switched" , and leave the wire marked "Ground" from the radio completely untouched? I definitely want no more lights. That will leave the "Ground" wire from the new switch just hanging? Want to be sure before I'm cutting. My motto: ask twice, cut once!  ;) 
    2020 T@B 400 BD w/Solar, Microwave and Closet
    Towed by 2019 Ram 1500 Rebel 5.7L Hemi 4x4 Crew Cab
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    @Amazonica, if you have a simple rocker switch that is on or off, you just need to “break” the 12V positive wire. Wire one side Of the wire to one terminal on the switch and the other side of the wire to the other terminal on the switch. Break can mean “cut” if that helps your understanding. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    Ahhh, gotcha! Thank you Verna, it finally makes sense. 

Sincere thanks to all of you who have been patient with my questions and generous with your time. 
  • Options
    BrianZBrianZ Member Posts: 1,763
    edited February 2020
    I put switches on both Jensen and Alde 12V panel.  See this page about halfway down the page & 3/4 down for wiring photos..
    https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/6415/phantom-drain/p2
    The toggle switches have a blue light, but it's optional & is only on when the switch is on (useful to be reminded to turn it off).  It has 3 wire terminals: two silver colored pins for the 12V+ power line to the device and an optional (brass colored) one for a ground wire to light the LED.

-Brian in Chester, Virginia
    TV: 2005 Toyota Sienna LE (3.3L V6)
    RV: 2018 T@B 320S, >100 mods 
  • Options
    VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,492
    BrianZ said:
    I put switches on both Jensen and Alde 12V panel.  See this page about halfway down the page & 3/4 down for wiring photos..
    The toggle switches have a blue light, but it's optional & is only on when the switch is on (useful to be reminded to turn it off).  It has 3 wire terminals: 12V+, and two ground pins - one for the device and an optional one to light the LED.

@BrianZ, did you have to do anything special to anchor these in wood? I know they’re designed to mount in thin plastic rather than thick cabinetry.
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    Love the term "phamperage"! Thank you @BrianZ. Since I live (and sleep) in mine, I'm certain I want to leave the gas detector fully functional though.
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    Good question, @VictoriaP, and the answer is no, a 3/4" drill bit made a hole that was just right to hold it snugly.  See their specs here:

The hole was just 1mm larger, but the two springy clips keep them snug enough that ours have never come loose.  Or use a little dab of glue if needed.  I used a spade type drill bit, like this..
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DB3CMR8

Totally agree, @Amazonica, I would not mess with the circuit powering the CO/propane detector - that should always remain on for safety.  Or maybe I should say "You don't want a 'kill-switch' there."  A kill switch should only be permitted to kill a live circuit, not a live human! 😉

• Options
    Thanks, @BrianZ! A kill switch for the Jensen is on my list for this spring, and this type of switch looks the closest to OEM for me.
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    rh5555rh5555 Member Posts: 487
    edited February 2020

The threaded portion is long enough to work with 1/2" plywood so mounting is very secure.  You can chose if you want the symbol to light up when the Jensen is on (or not - requires fewer connections).  See also https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/9242/2020-tab400-electrical-and-audio
    Roger and Sue Hill | 2020 T@B400 Boondock (Cryst@bel) | 2022 Land Rover Defender 110 - P400 | San Juan Island, WA
  • Options
    MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,591
    Finally got around to adding an On/Off switch to the Jensen, Model JWM70A .  Decided to do so mainly to reduce the night time background current drain.  My PWM Solar Controller (aftermarket) should draw 100mA but seems to draw 300mA (when no Sun).  Considered a switch on the solar controller but then I'd have to get up with the Sun and turn it on.
    { moved 12V/USB after picture taken }

Basic Auto Supply Store Push-Pull Switch
    With the Power Center Radio/TV fuse removed observed ~ 200mA drop in background current. So am expecting the new switch will buy back some of my solar monitor needs - - - should have measured current at Radio when I had the darn thing out - - - maybe next year 
    '18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+
  • Options
    morey000morey000 Member Posts: 155
    Thanks.  Just did this mod! Never would have thought to do it if I hadn't seen it here. 

I bought the toggle switch that @BrianZ pictured above.  Yup 3/4" drill bit, and just jammed the switch in there nice and snug.  Couple of butt splice terminals and the job was done in 10min. 

It was always my girlfriend's job to get up and lay a towel over the JVC, because the illumination ruins the darkness for sleeping.  Leaving on a trip tomorrow.  She's gonna' be surprised that I took her job away from her.

I have yet to use the TV, so it just stays unplugged (removing 10mA of phantom drain).  But- we listen to music, streamed via bluetooth from our phones... all the time.  

I may have to do the Alde Cutoff next!  (I try to *only* boondock)
    Silver on Silver, 320S '19 Outback Lite
  • Options
    AirBossAirBoss Member Posts: 740
    edited July 2020
    Just an FYI, the Jensen does have a dimmer function. Turn radio on, press and hold Dim button and turn volume knob counterclockwise. You can take it down to "0". 
    2020 T@B 400 "OTTO" (build date 08/19)
    Factory Victron Solar; Norcold 3-way fridge
    '04 Chevy Tahoe Z71 DinoKiller
    San Diego, CA
    www.airbossone.com
    https://fineartamerica.com/profiles/owen-ashurst/shop

• Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,445
    You can also use the Alde while Boondocking, and you can turn it completely off at the Alde Control panel.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    HoriganHorigan Member Posts: 611
    AirBoss said:
    Just an FYI, the Jensen does have a dimmer function. Turn radio on, press and hold Dim button and turn volume knob counterclockwise. You can take it down to "0". 
    Thank you for this!!!  We've been putting black tape over the display due to the brightness of the "Low" dim setting by just pressing the Dim switch.
    Rich
    2019 T@b 400
    2013 Toyota Highlander 3.5L V6
    Bellingham WA
  • Options
    AirBossAirBoss Member Posts: 740
    @Horigan
    That's what this place is all about. Now, about that fridge fan switch green light!  ;)
    2020 T@B 400 "OTTO" (build date 08/19)
    Factory Victron Solar; Norcold 3-way fridge
    '04 Chevy Tahoe Z71 DinoKiller
    San Diego, CA
    www.airbossone.com
    https://fineartamerica.com/profiles/owen-ashurst/shop

• Options
    AirBoss said:
    @Horigan
    That's what this place is all about. Now, about that fridge fan switch green light!  ;)
    Something like these dimming “stickers”? https://smile.amazon.com/Dim-It-Light-Dimming-Sheets/dp/B006R0VWSG/

Or pull the switch, it should have three wires. One of the three powers the LED, probably attached to the center blade. @Brianz posted a pic earlier in the thread showing the back of a similar switch.
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    @Denny16, I don't know about the 400, but on our 320 with Alde 3010, turning the Alde & display off at the control panel does not eliminate all power consumption by the Alde or the display.  I was surprised by this, but see my 3rd message on this page..
    With Alde turned "off",  it still consumed 82 milliamps, and after unplugging the blank display, the Alde electronics still used 50 mA while turned "off".  So, the kill switch I installed on the Alde 12V line saves about 2 AH per day of battery power.  Not a lot, but it all adds up, and that was 10% of our daily boondocking usage.
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,445
    I find the solar on out TaB400 more than compensates for the small drain from the Alde in the off position, radio and TV pilot lights, etc.  
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    JP2558JP2558 Member Posts: 219
    Thank you @tabaz for the pictures and notes. I did this today and your notes were perfect for our 2018 tab. No more black electrical tape!

Thanks, Jerry 

2019 Honda Pilot AWD and 2018 T@B 320-CS hanging out on the left edge of Lake Erie.
  • Options
    TNOutbackTNOutback Member Posts: 633
    I also completed this mod today.  Even dimmed, the screen gave off light at night, and we had taped a piece of card stock over the screen.  Now with the cutoff switch, no more light and no more battery drain!
  • Options
    photonphoton Member Posts: 13
    My Jensen disconnects on it's own! Some time ago I removed the fuse in the back of it at so the lights weren't on. Last week I plugged the fuse back in to test it and immediately fuse 3 (lights/entertainment/TV) blows in the main panel. This is a Jensen AWM965 in a 2014 T@B. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I posted the issue here: https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/18062/jensen-stereo-short-circuit-installing-fuse-blows-fuse-in-panel#latest