Maiden Voyage - Nods and Nits

AirBossAirBoss Member Posts: 740
FInally got an opportunity to get the 2020 T@B 400 out for a spin this weekend. I'd welcome imput from all you T@B'ers and perhaps some of this may help others who are new to this community, like I am. After all, seems to me that's why we're on here! Please keep in mind it's a check out ride and that, yeah, these are all First World Problems. 

NODS:
All in all, it's all good. Obvious nuCamp put a lot of thought into this unit.
Rock solid construction, top-shelf materials and workmanship. Connections for power, water, sewer all went well. Did notice the shore water connection was bit tempermental and a bit difficult to tighten given how close it is the fill for onboard H2O.  NOTE: if you use an inline charcoal filter with a pressure reducer (highly recommended BTW), make sure you let it run for a minute or two BEFORE you connect to the trailer, otherwise you're pushing all that charcoal thru the trailers H2O system. 

Dinette conversion was very easy. Shower/bath performed as expected but more on that in a minute. Range is fairly powerful, though an autolight would be welcome. Easy to clean, tho. Fridge ( I have the large 3-way) worked flawlessly in gas and 110V. Sink is fairly easy to work with, tho I'd welcome a removable faucet head so you can spray down the sink as a handheld.

Microwave worked as expected. Storage and cubbies are well placed and serviceable. Bed was awesome! I did add a 3" Temperpedic-type pad but even so, it's a dream.  

FWIT, my RV storage folks are awesome. It's "valet" in that I call a day ahead and they stage the rig, fill with H2O, start the fidge, fill propane, and all the usual prep stuff so all I have to do is show up, hook up, and out the gate I go! Towed rock solid behind 04 Tahoe Z71 without anti-sway bar. 

NITS:
OK, not really bad in the grand scheme of things but had to keep the Clint Eastwood theme going. I'm a bit of an audiophile and found the Jensen unit a bit disappointing. FIrst, no Blu-ray? Seems short-sighted given that standard DVD's are the Beta/VHS tapes of the 21st century. This Jensen does not have a "DVD" setting in "Mode." So, you load the disc and supposedly it recognizes that and switches to DVD. Not so much. Had to reboot the unit several time, load, reload, then reload again at least 5 times until it finally loaded the disc. Kept showing "Loading" but nothing, even after 60-90 secs.

Will be installing an A/B coax switch so I can connect to park cable or use OTA HD antenna with little effort. 

Why have three "Zones" but Zone A powers all three zones? It takes just as long to wire the unit with three zones during contruction that it does to tie all leads to Zone A. Yeah, I know...there's a fix or two out there on this forum but just questioning why not wire it properly from the get go. Bigger issue, the Blutooth was a disappointment. More often that not, my Samsung S-10 woud not pair, even after removing my phone from the Jensen and removing the Jensen from my phone...essentially starting over. Still, no joy. As I write, it will not pair. And given that the USB port on the Jensen is directly above the fridge, it's basically useless, unless you have a long USB cable or a holster to mount next to the unit. And frankly, who want's that? Like to have my phone with me or at least sitting around, rather than teathered to the wall.

Noticed the front and read windows do not line up correctly. Rear window: bottom latches (red buttons) line up OK but a couple side latches either don't reach their target...they come up short by 1/2in or so, or are so tight to the clasp that the latch goes behind the clasp. Front window is even worse: Bottom center latch doesn't reach it's target at all; trailer left side one is too close to target and ends up latching behind the clasp; one on trailer right doesn't reach its target. 

Tricks to keeping the lid/seat to the head up with the curtain gathered behind it? Tried a couple things that worked OK but not 100%.

Learned that sliding the shower curtain by pushing it along at the very top is better than trying to close the curtain using the curtain itself. 

And yeah, what to do with the fifth dinette cushion when in dinette mode. Back of my Tahoe is likely spot.

Didn't have the occassion to try the Air8 A/C unit but as we know, there's more on that elsewhere on this forum. 

USER ERROR! Note to self (and others), be SURE to move the sink faucet AND the hot/cold tap all the way down into the sink before you close the lid. Got lucky in that the GF stepped into the trailer and opened the cover to find a FULL SINK and still running! Yikes! Overflowed just slightly. So, we got a chance to flush the gray water tank! Whew! 

Fully expected the Black Water Flush to exit back thru the sewer line given that the directions say to ensure the valve is open. Where exactly does that water go? ;-)  Again, likely user error. 

Anyone have an idea on sun reflectors for the front and rear windows, similar to those we use in our vehicles? Maybe reflective film that doesn't mess up the views? Looking at options but throwing it out. Seems it would cut down solar radiation into the unit. 

That's it for now. As I said at the start, all in all, a very nice rig and looking forward to wearing this thing out!! 

Cheers to all and hope you can "Get Out There!" as often as you wish!

2020 T@B 400 "OTTO" (build date 08/19)
Factory Victron Solar; Norcold 3-way fridge
'04 Chevy Tahoe Z71 DinoKiller
San Diego, CA
www.airbossone.com
https://fineartamerica.com/profiles/owen-ashurst/shop

Comments

• atlasbatlasb Member Posts: 583
    The window latch situation sometimes is because the windows can shift from side to side just enough to be out of alignment.  Loosen them  (un latch) and shift them just a bit.  This usually will allow you to latch them.  Found out after ordering some shims to rectify the problem and it turned out to be a simple shift of the windo left to right etc.
    2018 T@B 400, 2017 Nissan Titan Crew cab
  • AirBossAirBoss Member Posts: 740
    Awesome. Good tip. I'll give it a whirl. Thanks much!
    San Diego, CA
    www.airbossone.com

• VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Reflectex from the insulation department at Lowe’s, Home Depot or Menards can easily be cut to fit for the windows.  Also look on Etsy for Shiner’s (by Lisa Roddy) for awnings that she makes to cover the windows from the outside. Do a search here for window awnings. 

I quit leaving the shower curtain behind the toilet because in a humid location, the shower curtain would never dry and started mildewing. I leave it to the left of the door as I go into the bathroom. It dries well there. 

The water going into the black water flush goes into the black water tank and then out the sewer connection. 

Be VERY CAREFUL of the kitchen sink faucet. More than one owner has had the gray water tank overflow. Knock on wood....not me.....

I use the 5th dinette cushion as a “headboard”, tucked between the bed and the bottom of the wood trim. It works for me. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,497
    AirBoss said:

NITS:
    OK, not really bad in the grand scheme of things but had to keep the Clint Eastwood theme going. I'm a bit of an audiophile and found the Jensen unit a bit disappointing. FIrst, no Blu-ray? Seems short-sighted given that standard DVD's are the Beta/VHS tapes of the 21st century. 
    I don't think that there much out there on the market in the way of 12v all-in-one units with a bluray player. Maybe because of the shift to streaming services.

And given that the USB port on the Jensen is directly above the fridge, it's basically useless, unless you have a long USB cable or a holster to mount next to the unit. And frankly, who want's that? Like to have my phone with me or at least sitting around, rather than teathered to the wall.

The USB port does have one very good use. I've ripped a lot of my old CDs to MP3. I loaded 998 tracks (my older Jensen unit will only play USB sticks with up to 999 tracks - don't know about newer models) onto a memory stick and I have it plugged into my Jensen. I usually just shuffle but the TV can be used to select particular albums.

Anyone have an idea on sun reflectors for the front and rear windows, similar to those we use in our vehicles? Maybe reflective film that doesn't mess up the views? Looking at options but throwing it out. Seems it would cut down solar radiation into the unit. 

I used Reflectix to make window covers for storage and the road. If you want some shade over the windows while camping, many of us have fabric awnings. Here's a source if you don't want to make them yourself: https://www.etsy.com/shop/ShinersView?section_id=19972582
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
    Awesome tips, Verna. Thanks. I expected to see water come out the sewer clear elbow very quickly when starting the flushing but it never did. After 15-20 seconds with valve open, I shut the water off. 
    San Diego, CA
    www.airbossone.com

Marceline said:
    AirBoss said:

NITS:
    OK, not really bad in the grand scheme of things but had to keep the Clint Eastwood theme going. I'm a bit of an audiophile and found the Jensen unit a bit disappointing. FIrst, no Blu-ray? Seems short-sighted given that standard DVD's are the Beta/VHS tapes of the 21st century. 
    I don't think that there much out there on the market in the way of 12v all-in-one units with a bluray player. Maybe because of the shift to streaming services.

And given that the USB port on the Jensen is directly above the fridge, it's basically useless, unless you have a long USB cable or a holster to mount next to the unit. And frankly, who want's that? Like to have my phone with me or at least sitting around, rather than teathered to the wall.

The USB port does have one very good use. I've ripped a lot of my old CDs to MP3. I loaded 998 tracks (my older Jensen unit will only play USB sticks with up to 999 tracks - don't know about newer models) onto a memory stick and I have it plugged into my Jensen. I usually just shuffle but the TV can be used to select particular albums.

I used Reflectix to make window covers for storage and the road. If you want some shade over the windows while camping, many of us have fabric awnings. Here's a source if you don't want to make them yourself: https://www.etsy.com/shop/ShinersView?section_id=19972582
    Excellent tips! You folks are awesome! 
    San Diego, CA
    www.airbossone.com

• rh5555rh5555 Member Posts: 484
    I think your Jensen unit may be defective.  Ours loads DVDs with never an issue and I use the jControl app from my phone reliably.  We do have the smaller fridge, though.  Don't know if that makes a difference.
    The speaker connection is problematic; the Jensen has speaker connections for Zone A (front and rear, left and right) and Zones B and C (left and right only).  When you rewire these, I'd suggest going to zones B and C only, we left the bed speakers on Zone A (front) and only get half the audio on some DVDs.
    Roger and Sue Hill | 2020 T@B400 Boondock (Cryst@bel) | 2022 Land Rover Defender 110 - P400 | San Juan Island, WA
    Yes, I believe it is defective. Blutooth is not that difficult and recognizing a DVD should be a snap. Back to the dealer I go. 
    San Diego, CA
    www.airbossone.com

• treefrogtreefrog Member Posts: 95
    We did not get a DVD player of any kind.  Have to stream with HDMI cable. Also no bass or treble adjustment (maybe I can't find them).
    Not sure what you have but believe most recent units had Jensen multiplayer. As for bass, treble, EQ, etc. should be able to find them in Settings. Use the wheel to navigate. What year is your unit? 
    San Diego, CA
    www.airbossone.com

• ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    edited February 2020
    (Treefrog's sig line shows it to be a '21 400) Some browsers don't show the sig line...

I recently read that Blu-ray is the Betamax of this century. Amazing advancement in technology, but not enough industry support and followers to survive... 

We stream, or DVD. The screen is only 18" or so! (But then, as a 'phile, your ears are probably better than mine!)
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
    Ha! Yep, it's most certainly NOT why I bought the thing!  :)  Yes, 4K and 8K tech are awesome. The DVD issue WAY down the list but it, along with Blutooth issue makes me think the unit might be DOA. 

Reminded of walking into very small Radio Shack in very small town ear acreage I'd moved to years ago. Asked for something faster than Dial-up ((was working in hi tech biz at the time). She looks up from her book, pulls her glass down on her nose and deadpans, "You have to remember where you moved to and WHY you moved here." Big slice of humble pie, right there!

Thanks for heads up on taglines. Working from my phone so didnt have biz on that. 

Cheers!
    San Diego, CA
    www.airbossone.com

• DeanPDeanP Member Posts: 14
    Fully expected the Black Water Flush to exit back thru the sewer line given that the directions say to ensure the valve is open. Where exactly does that water go? ;-)  Again, likely user error. 

@AirBoss it's likely that your black water flush was not installed correctly.  A number of 2020 400 owners have had the same issue, including us.  Best guess is that the check valve in the line was installed backwards and water can't flow into the black tank.  Apparently it's not a DIY fix so you'll need to return it to the dealer for repair.  We need to get ours in before spring returns to Ohio.

2020 T@B 400 BDL
    TV 2018 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport 3.5L 4WD with Firestone air bags.
    MODS: BMV-712 battery Monitor, MPPT 75/15 Charge Controller, Fantasic Fan PWM control
    Central Ohio
    As I suspected. No water out the sewer hose, but water under the trailer. Thanks for the heads up! 
    San Diego, CA
    www.airbossone.com

• DeanPDeanP Member Posts: 14
    You may have a different issue.  On ours, the hose to the flush attachment pressurizes, but no water flows past the exterior hose attachment point.  It's like a valve is closed downstream except there are no valves between the hose attachment and the black tank.
    2020 T@B 400 BDL
    TV 2018 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport 3.5L 4WD with Firestone air bags.
    MODS: BMV-712 battery Monitor, MPPT 75/15 Charge Controller, Fantasic Fan PWM control
    Central Ohio
    At first I thought perhaps it was similar to the classic "clog blaster bladder", the black expandable device that must expand first in a pipe before it goes to work. Guess not. Have dealer teed up to investigate. We'll see...thanks!
    San Diego, CA
    www.airbossone.com

• ontheroadontheroad Member Posts: 485
    @treefrog...the last Jensen unit I saw didn't have a DVD player on it also...and that was last week at the factory...yes streaming is the norm now
    Former 2017 T@G Max XL
    2021 T@B Boondock CS-S
    2018 Nissan Pathfinder
    Ontario, Canada
    I'm sorry to know that, however. Too often there's no broadband available. 

But then again, I'd really rather read a book. It's much quieter!
    ontheroad said:
    @treefrog...the last Jensen unit I saw didn't have a DVD player on it also...and that was last week at the factory...yes streaming is the norm now

Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
    ontheroad said:
    Does anyone know which model it is?
    If it's this one, it actually might be an improvement. Why? Because it has an HDMI input on the front. I'm not 100% sure but this probably that you could plug your iPhone, iPad, laptop into the Jensen and the video signal would go to the TV and the sound signal would go to the speakers. In the earlier devices you can plug your device into the TV via HDMI but there's no way to get sound to the speakers. 
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
  • treefrogtreefrog Member Posts: 95
    The stereo is a Jensen JWM20. 
    I would prefer to play DVDs and stream. I have a limited number of movies that can be stored on my phone at a time.  Where we camp cell service often does not exist. Also we camp during the off season and its dark early, so we like to watch a show.
     Bottom line...it's not why I "Get out there!" But it should work as planned, regardless.
    San Diego, CA
    www.airbossone.com

I agree completely, @AirBoss. I spend way too much time correcting goofy installs, or plain wrong ones, and of course fixing poor designs (or 'personalizing' a 'poor design' ;) ). 
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
    treefrog said:
    The stereo is a Jensen JWM20. 
    I would prefer to play DVDs and stream. I have a limited number of movies that can be stored on my phone at a time.  Where we camp cell service often does not exist. Also we camp during the off season and its dark early, so we like to watch a show.
    Maybe you can find a small portable DVD player with an HDMI out. I don’t own any DVD discs so instead I download a couple of movies from Netflix to an iPad before I hit the road. 
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
  • cottonmouthcottonmouth Member Posts: 91
    Another easy method would be to download several movies onto an external hard drive. You can plug the hard drive directly into the tv usb port and watch (need to ensure the video format is compatible with the tv). Or plug the hard drive into your Roku usb port and watch through the Roku media player. 
    2021 T@B 400 BDL aka Little Joe
    2019 Tundra Crewmax aka Hoss
    SE Louisiana
    All good stuff!  BTW, found a "Reset" function on the Jensen. Hold "Settings" button for 3 sec., scroll to Reset, the push large black button inside Volume control knob. Also can reset using the 'ol paperclip inserted in small.hole below "Menu" button. Will attempt later today or tomorrow and advise. 
    San Diego, CA
    www.airbossone.com

• AmazonicaAmazonica Member Posts: 151

Will be installing an A/B coax switch so I can connect to park cable or use OTA HD antenna with little effort. 

Hi @AirBoss. Congratulations on your trial run. I am new to towing and RVing (as of November 2019) and find this Forum extrememly helpful.

You may have an idea already for the A/B coax switch, but if you don't, @Dalehelman had a writeup Titled "Roof mount digital TV antenna" that has wonderful, easy to implement ideas. @atlasb also contributed to that thread with ideas for the 400. I installed the antenna and Cable/Antenna switch and am very happy with both.

My Jensen DVD player does load the DVD automatically. It also pairs with my Pixel 3 pretty effortlessly (I'm no pro) so it's possible yours has an undesigned flaw in those departments.
    2020 T@B 400 BD w/Solar, Microwave and Closet
    Towed by 2019 Ram 1500 Rebel 5.7L Hemi 4x4 Crew Cab
    Thanks and hello! Yep, already have the A/B switch and will install this wknd. Thanks for the tips on threads.

The pinhole reset next to the "Menu" button seemed to work. Bluetooth works and DVD launched. Time will tell.

And I agree...this forum is a great resource!
    San Diego, CA
    www.airbossone.com

• SusaninstjoeSusaninstjoe Member Posts: 1
    I am very late to this conversation but wondered if you were able to pair your Jensen with your phone? We bought our camper used and the previous owner said it takes 60 to 90 seconds holding the buttons to pair. We found this to be true and it works just fine! 
    It still struggles to pair from time to time. I just keep resetting, toggle off and on, etc and eventually it connects. 

Are you actually holding the "Pair" button down while your phone is trying to pair? Also heard that cancelling all paired devices and staring from scratch helps. 

San Diego, CA
    www.airbossone.com