Are you constantly concerned about tongue weight? Tongue weight scale!

DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,409
Check this out.
https://www.etrailer.com/Hitch-Ball/Weigh-Safe/WSUN-1.html

(Title edited for search purposes.  Sharon - Moderator)
  1. Hash  T@B Fun

Comments

• AmazonicaAmazonica Member Posts: 151
    That'd be me!  ;) Very cool find!
    Anybody out in T@BL@nd using one?
    2020 T@B 400 BD w/Solar, Microwave and Closet
    Towed by 2019 Ram 1500 Rebel 5.7L Hemi 4x4 Crew Cab
  • rh5555rh5555 Member Posts: 484
    I looked at this, then dismissed it.  Not enough resolution in the 300-400 pound range to be useful for me.

Roger and Sue Hill | 2020 T@B400 Boondock (Cryst@bel) | 2022 Land Rover Defender 110 - P400 | San Juan Island, WA
  • N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    There is also the new Curt BetterWeigh system. It requires a newer vehicle(OBD port and a newer year even then) auto transmission (best I can tell) but seems like a cool system, just read your weights on the app. Be interesting in hearing some long term user reports on the system.
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
  • ChrisFixChrisFix Member Posts: 724
    I'm also interested in hearing real world feedback of Better Weigh and the identical (at least down to the marketing materials and copy) Haul Gauge product. Seems like it would be a huge convenience to have even reasonably accurate numbers for tongue weight, weight distribution, vehicle and trailer weights, all at your fingertips. The few reviews I've watched on YouTube for Haul Gauge seemed pretty solid, so I'm hoping they're on to something here.
    https://www.haulgauge.com/
    https://www.curtmfg.com/betterweigh
    After two years of looking and considering...finally the proud owner of a 2021 T@B 400 Boondock!
    2023 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E with Redarc Trailer Brake Controller
  • HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,491
    Um, no. Dale, should I be?  :)
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    edited February 2020
    From the curt better weigh info: 

Compatible with OBD-II vehicles  BetterWeigh works with 1996+ gas vehicles and 2004+ diesel. It also has a VIN database for faster initial setup. Vehicles that have a manual transmission or auto-level suspension will have limited functionality.

Looks easier for weight management, but I can’t figure out how it can tell the weight of the loaded trailer. Guess one would need to purchase one and go through the setup, or perhaps watch the video.
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

• mrericmreric Member Posts: 154
    in europe they sell a very inexpensive scale made for it.   each  " nose weight scale"
  • atlasbatlasb Member Posts: 583
    I use a Taylor High capacity bath scale with an adapter to weigh the tongue weight once in awhile.  It is the Taylor model 7410 with a capacity of 550 lbs.
    2018 T@B 400, 2017 Nissan Titan Crew cab
  • ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    Heh! I use our 1950's bathroom scale (280# capacity), with an adapter that moves the fulcrum out from the ball so I can multiply the indicated weight to get the real weight.... 
    A bit complicated, but it keeps my rusty brain exercised! 
    Only weigh it before we leave home, though.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • TabberJohnTabberJohn Member Posts: 588
    WeighSafe would be smart to offer a 0-500 model in 2" only. 
    I don't think the current version is a viable solution for T@Bbers.

Haul Gauge vs. Curt BetterWeigh --
    Haul Gauge appears to be the originator and Curt is a licensee.
    It is targeted to a higher weight class of vehicle and trailer but it may work with T@Bs.
    Reviews on eTrailer are consistently good, but Amazon 1 star reviews stand at 11% currently with most complaints about accuracy or connection issues.
    I remember reading an article about this tool/app when it first came out and it was mostly negative due to widely differing results. Perhaps it's gotten better.
    It may be close enough to ballpark things, but there's a reason why the scale is analog, not digital. 
    If someone wants to springs $99 for another gadget that may or may not work, I'd be happy to hear their full review. :D 
    https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/9591/an-interesting-tool-haul-gage
    2015 T@B Max S (White/Silver) -> 2014 Ford Escape 2.0L (turbo, AWD, factory tow)
  • VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,489
    edited February 2020
    WeighSafe would be smart to offer a 0-500 model in 2" only. 
    I don't think the current version is a viable solution for T@Bbers.

Haul Gauge vs. Curt BetterWeigh --
    Haul Gauge appears to be the originator and Curt is a licensee.
    It is targeted to a higher weight class of vehicle and trailer but it may work with T@Bs.
    Reviews on eTrailer are consistently good, but Amazon 1 star reviews stand at 11% currently with most complaints about accuracy or connection issues.
    I remember reading an article about this tool/app when it first came out and it was mostly negative due to widely differing results. Perhaps it's gotten better.
    It may be close enough to ballpark things, but there's a reason why the scale is analog, not digital. 
    If someone wants to springs $99 for another gadget that may or may not work, I'd be happy to hear their full review. :D 
    https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/9591/an-interesting-tool-haul-gage
    Curt apparently bought out HaulGauge last fall, from HaulGauge’s comments on the Q&A portion of their Amazon listing.

As for the 11% 1 star aspect, I’d be stunned if it could ever do better than that, given the number of variables involved. You’ve got a product being used with many different tow vehicles, many different trailers (and different types of trailers) of very different weights, using an app on many different generations of phones running different operating systems. Plus, add in that it requires the vehicle and trailer be on a “level” surface at a specific speed to weigh the trailer...how many people are getting that part right every single time? So many ways this could end up not working as expected, and that’s not even taking into account the device itself or its actual calibration.

I currently use a cheap analog scale, some blocks of wood, and a lot of swearing as I shift things back and forth. This looks intriguing.
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • TampakayakerTampakayaker Member Posts: 554
    mreric said:
    in europe they sell a very inexpensive scale made for it.   each  " nose weight scale"
    This is on Amazon UK but only goes to 286 pounds.  About $38 but $15 shipping to Tampa (not Prime eligible)

Milenco 2691 Calibrated Nose Weight Gauge Caravan Trailer
    2006 RAM 1500 4 door, 2016 T@B 320 MAX S 
    Tampa FL
    edited February 2020
    mreric said:
    This is on Amazon UK but only goes to 286 pounds.  About $38 but $15 shipping to Tampa (not Prime eligible)

Milenco 2691 Calibrated Nose Weight Gauge Caravan Trailer
    Well, after watching a couple of videos of it in action, that looks far easier to use than the bathroom scale method even with converting from kg, and the low weight range it measures is likely to be more accurate for a 320s tongue weight than the US tongue weight scales currently on the market. Picking this one up and will post a review. (Scheduled to arrive March 9th)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
    edited February 2020
    The Milenco model you found claims to meet a UK standard for accuracy after repeated use.
    Here's a different brand that offers a digital model that measures up to 330lbs/150kg:
    https://www.thecaravansupermarket.com/shop/towbar/jockey-wheel/digital-nose-weight-gauge/
    Adjusts from 13.5"-17". Doesn't look like they ship to US though. 

2015 T@B Max S (White/Silver) -> 2014 Ford Escape 2.0L (turbo, AWD, factory tow)
  • TampakayakerTampakayaker Member Posts: 554
    The Milenco model you found claims to meet a UK standard for accuracy after repeated use.
    Here's a different brand that offers a digital model that measures up to 330lbs/150kg:
    https://www.thecaravansupermarket.com/shop/towbar/jockey-wheel/digital-nose-weight-gauge/
    Adjusts from 13.5"-17". Doesn't look like they ship to US though. 

Same company has a stick one for about $10.
    2006 RAM 1500 4 door, 2016 T@B 320 MAX S 
    Tampa FL
    The cheap one (110-220lbs) is no doubt spring based so it will lose accuracy over time.
    For $10 it probably does the job well enough. All you really need is a ballpark figure, but 220lbs max would bother me.
    Of course none of the models will work for a 400.
    The cheap one (110-220lbs) is no doubt spring based so it will lose accuracy over time.
    For $10 it probably does the job well enough. All you really need is a ballpark figure, but 220lbs max would bother me.
    Of course none of the models will work for a 400.
    It looks like the best bet for a 400 is still the 1000 pound max version of this Sherline type: https://smile.amazon.com/Sherline-LM-1000-Trailer-Tongue/dp/B007REJTGI/

Scales tend to be most accurate nearest the middle of their weight range, so this isn’t absolutely perfect, and it’s not quite as easy to use as the European Milenco since you’ll need a correct sized block of wood or other support to raise the scale to the level hitch height. The Curt BetterWeigh/HaulGauge is probably the easiest method for bigger trailers, assuming it works reliably.
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • BrianZBrianZ Member Posts: 1,763
    It's  too bad that those bluetooth OBDII devices, like BetterWeigh & HaulGauge, don't have better accuracy for our lower tongue weights.

-Brian in Chester, Virginia
    TV: 2005 Toyota Sienna LE (3.3L V6)
    RV: 2018 T@B 320S, >100 mods 
  • TerryV6TerryV6 Member Posts: 1,092
    Hi, it’s been a year since the last post.  Has anyone purchased the Weigh-safe ball mount?  I weigh mine before I go with my weigh gauge.  The Weigh safe ball does look interesting.  I’m always being lured by new gadgets.  Weigh Safe also offers a complete adjustable hitch with the gauge.  I have 3 or 4 hitches now, so I think I’m covered.
    Terry & Jody...  2016 Dodge Ram 1500
    2016 NuCamp 320 T@B Max S
    T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI