Options

Extra shelves in Tab 400 wardrobe

I really like the wardrobe and want to get maximum usage.  I was looking at the piece of wood above the Alde glycol tank and wanted to know what was back there.  

Turns out there are some wires and the vent tube.  So I took some scrap plywood and made a little prototype to add some shelving in that space.  After installing it I decided it was good enough for the closet.  Since there is wood on both sides I didn't attach anything to the exterior wall.

2019 T@B 400 BDL
2018 Ford F-150 2.7L Ecoboost with tow package
PNW

Comments

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,497
    Good use of space!
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    I like that!  Thanks
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    BigGroverBigGrover Member Posts: 450
    Are you going to be able to add glycol to you reservoir tank with those shelves there?
    BigGrover
    2019 T@b 400 Boondock Lite
    2018 Ram 1500 Quad Cab Hemi
    Central Alabama
  • Options
    gspdxgspdx Member Posts: 208
    No more difficult than it was before.  There is actually more room.  
    2019 T@B 400 BDL
    PNW
  • Options
    AmazonicaAmazonica Member Posts: 151
    edited February 2020
    Inspired by @gspdx's mod, I had my "MacGyver Extraordinaire" hired handyman install shelves behind my closet rod. Real cedar - they smell wonderful. Can still see and get to the Alde Tank. Shelves are movable, in the event I want to size the spacing differently. Nothing is mounted to the outside wall, only the side inner walls. Since I still have to work and occasionally meet clients, I like having the hanging space to keep "office" clothes nice.

My 400 is my fulltime home so I cherish any 'extra' storage space I can get. I have hung a "Simplehouseware Over Door 4 Clear Window Pocket Organizer" on the door and secured it with command strip tapes glued to the fabric organizer (not the wood door).

This forum is so great for inspiration and sharing of ideas! 

2020 T@B 400 BD w/Solar, Microwave and Closet
    Towed by 2019 Ram 1500 Rebel 5.7L Hemi 4x4 Crew Cab
  • Options
    gspdxgspdx Member Posts: 208
    edited February 2020
    @Amazonica- Really simple and functional solution.  I like this better than my solution since you get lots of storage and can remove the shelves if needed.  
    2019 T@B 400 BDL
    PNW
  • Options
    Very kind of you @gspdx, but yours was the inspiration and looks fantastic.  :) Ideas are great to pass around. This forum is wonderful, and I'm thankful that users like you post up their creativity to help others.
  • Options
    DenisPDenisP Member Posts: 542
    edited February 2020
    I added a couple of shelves (removable) to the wardrobe as we do not find hanging space. The shelves greatly improved our capacity. The shelf idea came from an earlier forum post.I also added some netting on the other side between the shelves. 
    2018 T@b 400, 200ah Lithium with Solar
    2013 Tundra TRD 5.7L
    Massachusetts
  • Options
    Nice @DenisP. That is a lot of space. Thanks for sharing. :)
    Where did you get the black mesh pockets on the side?
  • Options
    @Amazonica I purchased the net pockets from https://www.organizedobie.com/Net-Pockets
    2013 Tundra TRD 5.7L
    Massachusetts
  • Options
    Thank you @DenisP. That site has some other great items that have got me thinking...
  • Options
    Deb55Deb55 Member Posts: 293
    @Amazonica I'm thinking of ordering the over the door pockets you have, but I don't understand what you mean about gluing Command strips to the fabric. Does that mean that the over the door hooks don't work in the closet of the 400? Which Command product did you use--there are so many different ones!? 
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    Hi @Deb55. The hooks on the door pocket thing are made to hang on a 'regular' house level door-top. I bent them with needlenose pliers to work on the curved top of the 400 closet door. Then I just used the picture hanging strips (I'll have to look for the package to say precisely which ones) to press the outer edges of the fabric part of the holder, to the flat inside of the 400 closet door. They held on the door surface, but I had to SuperGlue the other part to the fabric.
    The orange arrow in the pic below points to the piece of the Command Strip that I glued to the backside fabric of the over-the-door-holder.

You probably don't have to do this step, it just keeps it from swinging, rubbing, and bending out under load.

• Options
    SweetlyHomeSweetlyHome Member Posts: 336
    @gspdx, @DenisP, @Amazonica inspired by you and others I'm about to add shelves to the closet in my 400.  It looks like the hinges allow for removing the door. This would make the project much more accessible.  However how to remove the retaining strap isn't so obvious.  I don't want to go prying at it randomly.  Any help is appreciated!
    Jupiter, Florida~T@B 400, with 2018 Toyota 4Runner

• Options
    @SweetlyHome I put small cleats to rest the shelves on which make removal very easy. 
    2013 Tundra TRD 5.7L
    Massachusetts
  • Options
    falcon1970falcon1970 Member Posts: 755
    @SweetlyHome
    The strap is held on by a washer and wood screw.  The screw head is covered by a decorative plastic cap.  Gently pry the plastic cap off and the head of the screw is revealed.  It is likely a #2 square drive screw since almost every other screw in the trailer is the same.
  • Options
    SweetlyHomeSweetlyHome Member Posts: 336
    @denisp @falcon1970  Thanks for the help.
    Jupiter, Florida~T@B 400, with 2018 Toyota 4Runner