Options

Dish Storage

NoVaGuyNoVaGuy Member Posts: 95
Newbie question.  I would like to keep a set of Corelle dishes in my T@B 400.  What are some good storage options to keep them from sliding around during transport?  

Thanks!
States Visited Map

2020 T@B 400 BD Lite

Comments

• Options
    dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,926
    @NoVaGuy, use small circles or squares of thr mesh gripper used on the bottom of tool boxes, or under area rugs. First, I cut pieces to cover the entire bottom of each cabinet then stacked the dishes with the non-slip pieces in between. I keep these pieces in between my pots and pans too. You'd be amazed at how quiet the ride is and how everything stays in place. It really helps to keep the pots and pans from scratching. Some of my pots have glass lids and I turn them upside down and cushion them by putting wash or dry towels in the pot. Our 2017 t@b 320S has over 40,000 road miles on it. Interstate, U.S. highway, state, county, local and native nation. Last summer we traveled at least 200 miles on forest service, BLM, and native nation gravel and sand tracks, most of which were unmaintained. Never have had anything break. Rarely does anything in the cabinets even move. One of the best things I've done in the t@b. I'd do it again, it's been that successful.  Good luck! -Denise 
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • Options
    NoVaGuyNoVaGuy Member Posts: 95
    @dragonsdofly thank you.  I was thinking about doing something similar but was not sure it would work.

States Visited Map

2020 T@B 400 BD Lite
  • Options
    TampakayakerTampakayaker Member Posts: 554
    @NoVaGuy, use small circles or squares of thr mesh gripper used on the bottom of tool boxes, or under area rugs. First, I cut pieces to cover the entire bottom of each cabinet then stacked the dishes with the non-slip pieces in between. I keep these pieces in between my pots and pans too. You'd be amazed at how quiet the ride is and how everything stays in place. It really helps to keep the pots and pans from scratching. Some of my pots have glass lids and I turn them upside down and cushion them by putting wash or dry towels in the pot. Our 2017 t@b 320S has over 40,000 road miles on it. Interstate, U.S. highway, state, county, local and native nation. Last summer we traveled at least 200 miles on forest service, BLM, and native nation gravel and sand tracks, most of which were unmaintained. Never have had anything break. Rarely does anything in the cabinets even move. One of the best things I've done in the t@b. I'd do it again, it's been that successful.  Good luck! -Denise 
    If you get a chance, I'd love to see a picture where you store your items.  It seems like we've got too many, pipes, drains, and wires in our lower cabinets to store hardly anything, and the upper cabinets are pretty small for anything other than some coffee supplies.
    2006 RAM 1500 4 door, 2016 T@B 320 MAX S 
    Tampa FL
  • Options
    @Tampakayaker, we're in Michigan. 26°F here. T@b is in our backyard wearing its winter coat. Teens tonight. Brrr! When we get a sunny day with temps around 50°F, I'll go out and take a few pics for you. Thanks for asking!
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
  • Options
    VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,492
    edited March 2020
    If you get a chance, I'd love to see a picture where you store your items.  It seems like we've got too many, pipes, drains, and wires in our lower cabinets to store hardly anything, and the upper cabinets are pretty small for anything other than some coffee supplies.
    You may need to rethink WHAT you’re storing as well as where to put it. I can store two pots (1 quart and 3 quart), one 10” frying pan, a 3 quart serving bowl, two dog bowls, a kettle, and cleaning supplies just in the undersink cabinet of my 320 without any permanent modifications. 

How? It meant purchasing new stuff to fit the spaces I had. All the cooking/serving pieces (even the electric kettle) are collapsible or have removable handles. I measured and remeasured to find shelves that would help keep things in order and give me more usable room to work with. Likewise, I bought plates and bowls small enough to fit the upper cabinets, which means they aren’t dinner plate sized. I only carry exactly what I need—which means one plate/bowl/cup per person. I repackage all my pantry and fridge goods into square containers and Tetris them into the cabinets.

Even so, you may need to use the rear cabinets for pantry stuff and cookware depending on how long the trip is. 

2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    @Tampakayaker, please look up a thread "substitue p-trap' by @BrianZ. Although @Dalehelman did it first and posted on this forum, his sofitel has slightly different plumbing. Most like yours is the BrianZ posting, with measurements and pics. We have this valve, it is not yet installed. This hep-v-0 valve eliminates all that bulky "p-trap" plumbing under the sink and increases storage area and functionality greatly. And I agree with @VictoriaP, you must pare down what you intend to carry. In my bottom shelf under the sink, i have a larger frying pan and smaller fry pan for things like eggs. I  have a 4 quart pot with a draining insert and lid and a 1 quart pot with lid. There are 4 hot dog skewers, cooking tongs and a can of cleaning spray. While traveling, this is the place where we carry a loaf of bread, pkg of hot dog or hamburger buns and a box of crackers. The upper cabinet contains 4 plastic plates, super thin sheet plastic cutting "boards" 2 sharp knives, a can opener, 4 soup/hot drinks mugs with lids, in stainless we have 4 forks, 4 butter type knives, 4 soup spoons, 2 tablespoons, a vegetable peeler and lots of food storage stuff like 1 box gallon size zippy bags, 1 box quart sized zippy bags, 1 box press n seal saran wrap, 1 box regular aluminum foil, 1 large box of heavy-duty foil, 4 plastic permanent drinking cups, a stack of plastic disposable cups, boxes of plastic disposable "silverware" and a few odds n ends. You'll notice my counts of 4. Until last fall, 4 of us journeyed in the t@b. We were raising our great-nephews. The boys are currently 13 &14 yrs old, but will turn 14 & 15 in June and July. We had the boys for over 12 years and are now transitioning them back to the biological "parents". Just the volume of what 4 people in a t@b, for months at a time (our shortest vacay was 4 weeks) was enormous. But we did it for 4 summers! Carefully packed, thoughtfully outfitted and well planned, we had great fun and created life long memories. Pictures to follow! Btw, paper plates, hot pads, oven mitts, dish towels and extra plastic utensils are stored in the mandatory microwave we carry! Try vacationing with hungry teenage boys without one!
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    I had a friend who bought a Class A (big monster!) and she went out and bought new china with place settings for 8. She’s a great cook. After 2 trips, she stored the China that was left and went with colorful plastic plates. There’s something to be said about the simplicity of plastic that doesn’t break as you’re going out the door with an armful for the meal and part of the armful falls.  

I have a simple set of 4 plastic plates and small dessert cups, and a set of 4 plus one, enamelware plates and bowls and cups. Wine cups are aluminum, not glass. Hot chocolate is served either in the aluminum or the enamelware cups. (I don’t drink coffee, and I don’t carry any with me. I do have wine, Coca Cola or water.)

In my 400, the dishes and glasses are above the sink and counter. I keep canned goods in wire racks under the sink. I also keep cleaning supplies under the sink, along with the dog food canister. 

Spices are in metal magnetic containers on either side of the glass divider on the wall. It works very well. 

I keep my pots and pans in the lower cabinet under the counter and they sit on top of silicone cooking sheets that keep them from moving. 

I found a round silicone sheet for the sink and a rectangular one for the stove to protect the glass from more scratches. 

That’s all I can remember for right now of how I’ve arranged the 400’s kitchen storage.  
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    @Tampakayaker, here's the photos you requested: 1st bottom cabinet under sink, layer 1, 2 frying pans. 2nd pic bottom cabinet under sink, second layer, 2 pots with lids. Plenty of room for bread, crackers and buns.

• Options
    1st pic is the cabinet directly under the sink, first layer, cutting mats, dishes, cups and 2 mugs, plus food storage supplies. Second photo, 2 more mugs, knives, silverware, misc tools, etc.

You will notice bright green microfiber drying/wash cloths in between the mugs and on the glass pot lids in the previous pics. Two fold usage. Protects while going down the road or whatever our tires are on. Washing/cleaning/drying when at the destination.
  • Options
    BaylissBayliss Member Posts: 1,299
    HEPvO under the kitchen sink is definitely a space safer, plus an easy installation.  It freed up quite a bit of space in our 2019 320 S:

2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite2007 Toyota Tundra 4x4
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)
    Greg & Marlene (Tucson, AZ)

• Options
    VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,492
    Bayliss said:
    HEPvO under the kitchen sink is definitely a space safer, plus an easy installation.  It freed up quite a bit of space in our 2019 320 S:

Hepvo is definitely on my list for someday!
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    TampakayakerTampakayaker Member Posts: 554
    1st pic is the cabinet directly under the sink, first layer, cutting mats, dishes, cups and 2 mugs, plus food storage supplies. Second photo, 2 more mugs, knives, silverware, misc tools, etc.

You will notice bright green microfiber drying/wash cloths in between the mugs and on the glass pot lids in the previous pics. Two fold usage. Protects while going down the road or whatever our tires are on. Washing/cleaning/drying when at the destination.
    Thank you for taking the time to take and post these
    2006 RAM 1500 4 door, 2016 T@B 320 MAX S 
    Tampa FL
  • Options
    BallermarisBallermaris Member Posts: 32
    The photos posted have given me some great ideas on storage too. I did order a set of dishes that come in a small travel box that can also fit in the right rear side storage area under the bench.
    Ballermaris
    Tow Vehicle - 2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
    Trailer - 2016 T@B320S
  • Options
    PNWtabberPNWtabber Member Posts: 491
    Another very useful thread for this trailer newbie.  I admit that seeing all of the plumbing and such in the cabinets made me nervous about things bumping around during travel and possibly damaging the plumbing.  I like the idea of using tool box liners to help reduce shifting.

I learned on my first trip with my T@B that my old camp kit is a bit large, both for storing and for using on the small stove in my trailer.  I have an old lightweight backpacking set of pans that I will try on the next trip.  I do need new camping dishes though.  I'm not a fan of plastic and was thinking about enamelware, but don't have much experience with it.  You like it, @Verna?
    2018 T@B 320 S Boondock  |  2015.5 Volvo XC60 T6 AWD  |  Seattle, WA, USA
    "Blessed are the curious, for they shall have adventures.”― Lovelle Drachman

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    @PNWtabber, yes, I like my enamelware. I keep the serving for four because sometimes non-campers visit without their own plates. Easy to clean, non-breakable,  nice for the traditional potluck dinner as serving plates or for eating and enough room for tasting so many of the delicious creations. I keep silicone pot holders handy so I can hold a hot bowl of soup, or a cup of hot chocolate. 

If you check the open box or warehouse deals on Amazon, sometimes you can get lucky as I did and get an almost half off price for a 4 place setting of enamelware. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,642
    I bought square plates.  All that round stuff is just wasting space! 
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    MarkAlMarkAl Member Posts: 459
    Our solution for packing density on plates was square. We found some nice (though plastic) ones that work well. For the few times we need bowls, we have the collapsable kind. A bit hard to wash but they don't get used much except when cooking to hold food to stage cooking.
    Snohomish WA, 2015 Diesel Grand Cherokee
    Sm@ll World: 2021 320S Boondock, 6V Pb-acid
    Shunt, Roof & Remote solar & 30A DC-DC Chargers
    managed by VE Smart Network