Exoskeletal Cage use on 2021 320 BD?

Anybody see this new feature on a Boondock yet?  Other than Mandy's video and some factory references I haven't seen this on any new trailers yet.  From the design I was thinking it may be a way to access higher loads on the rack.  I hope it would be strong enough to hold a person as the design looks to be useful for that.  I wouldn't think the trailer needs a brush or tree bumper.  As we are still waiting for ours I can't see the use otherwise.
Snohomish WA, 2015 Diesel Grand Cherokee
Sm@ll World: 2021 320S Boondock, 6V Pb-acid
Shunt, Roof & Remote solar & 30A DC-DC Chargers
managed by VE Smart Network

Comments

• ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    Sounds interesting. Do you have a picture or a link?
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • MarkAlMarkAl Member Posts: 455
    The best example is Mandy's video: https://mandyleaphoto.com/2020/02/26/2021-tab/
  • CrabTabCrabTab Member Posts: 457
    @MarkAl, is this the item you are talking about (@4:16 into the video from your link)?

2019 320 Boondock Edge
     - Sold Jan 2022
  • ontheroadontheroad Member Posts: 485
    Looks like it mounts where the handles would be..maybe will be offered as an option
    Former 2017 T@G Max XL
    2021 T@B Boondock CS-S
    2018 Nissan Pathfinder
    Ontario, Canada
    edited March 2020
    Other than showing us a sheet of paper from Nu-camp with the item the dealer doesn't know more. I'm thinking there's a problem with the design that they are working on. Note I think the handles are still Included. 
    Looking at the videos again, I agree you give up the handles, I would hope the structure was designed to accept the torque / loads of pulling the trailer from the rear.  When we rented a trailer we did use the handles in one site to reposition but I don't know how often these do get used.  If any readers have a comment on their use of the handles, I'd appreciate it?
  • VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    The rear handles are great to hang a simple clothesline from one to the other. I also hang my solar Luci lights from the clothes line to charge them. 

You can use carabiners (the inexpensive ones) to attach to solar motion lights to the handles. 

If you have a sloping campsite, grab the handle to keep your balance. Same applies if you get caught in ice or snow. 

They’re different from any other brand name of camper. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,497
    edited March 2020
    MarkAl said:
    Looking at the videos again, I agree you give up the handles, I would hope the structure was designed to accept the torque / loads of pulling the trailer from the rear.  When we rented a trailer we did use the handles in one site to reposition but I don't know how often these do get used.  If any readers have a comment on their use of the handles, I'd appreciate it?
    I think that the handles are indeed there to move the trailer around. A lot of people unhitch then use the handles to reposition for a better view, etc. I've done it a beach, for example. There must be some pretty good backing behind them. I haven't heard of anyone pulling one out or even there being cracking around them. 

I assume that the cage serves as a ladder to get at the rack. If the mounting is strong enough for moving a 1800 pound trailer around its probably OK to stand on it. Just my guess.
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • lkc001lkc001 Member Posts: 731
    that does not look strong enough to stand on. . . 
    2016 Nissan Frontier SV V6 4x4
    Finally!  New Owner of a 2017 Tab 320S! 
    Woohoo!
  • Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,350
    Is this mod functional or simply aesthetic? If an attempt at functionality, it fails for lack of a step and/or empirical data of the damage inflicted by rhinoceros charging the rear of a travel trailer. If an attempt at a pleasing look for the rear of a trailer, then someone on the design team should seek a different career path. This thing is (no pun intended) butt ugly.
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
  • ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    :rofl:
    Tabaz said:
    Is this mod functional or simply aesthetic? If an attempt at functionality, it fails for lack of a step and/or empirical data of the damage inflicted by rhinoceros charging the rear of a travel trailer. If an attempt at a pleasing look for the rear of a trailer, then someone on the design team should seek a different career path. This thing is (no pun intended) butt ugly.

Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,389
    My first thought was that it was a bit of a brush guard. There is some space between it and the trailer.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• AddisonAddison Member Posts: 56
    Well, I just bought a 2021 tab BD with the rear cage, a d i really like it! I think it looks cool 
    2021 T@b 320 Boondock | 2021 T@b Nights: 40  | 2019 Honda Ridgeline | NuCamp owner since 2017
  • Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,461
    Since any model can now have a front platform and elevated axle, I think the cage is an attempt to distinguish the Boondock model from the rest of the pack.  @Addison, did the dealer explain the utility of the cage?  What’s it good for?
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • CrabTabCrabTab Member Posts: 457
    Congrats on the new T@B @Addison. Welcome to the forum too.

I agree with @jkjenn that the back looks to have a brush guard. I think @Sharon_is_SAM is also correct that the brush guard is part of an appearance package on the Boondock. Back in 2018 mine came with a light bar, among other things. I had always assumed it was part of marketing a 'lifestyle image', just like cars and trucks have upgrade packages.

Some folks will deride the looks/utility of anything (Just human nature I guess). I can remember reading posts here that commented on the light bar on my T@B being only useful for "deer jacking", etc.

Temper negative comments with the knowledge that if everyone is supposed to like the same things, why are there SO many flavors of ice cream...

2019 320 Boondock Edge
     - Sold Jan 2022
  • jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,389
    Congrats on your new T@b @Addison!

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• tybladesmithtybladesmith Member Posts: 178
    edited March 2020
    Congratulations Addison, there are many great and new features added to the 2021 T@B 320S. You should be thrilled.
    Considering the new more robust jacks as they call them (not stabilizers) at 3:40 in Mandy's video, Does NuCamp say you can jack up to change a tire? It reminds me of the collaboration in 2018 and earlier by others. My prototype picture.
    Kay and Tom - SW Wisconsin - Silver T@bernacle - 2018 T@B 320S Boondock Silver/Black trim TV, 2018 Chevy Colorado, Silver/Black trim, Duramax, TowHaul, IntelliHaul
    @tabaz... functional...no longer need to string a rope between the handles...clothes/towel drying rack...built in!
    Former 2017 T@G Max XL
    2021 T@B Boondock CS-S
    2018 Nissan Pathfinder
    Ontario, Canada
    Hey thanks everyone! We traded our 2017 T@G XL for it, the 2021 t@b the dealer had in stock didn't have the rear guard,we originally ordered one, but being in Canada and with what's going on in the world, we thought may be best to put our name on the one in stock. So they checked with NuCamp and the dealership can install the guard, so i haven't seen one yet, but it is a guard, just that. But i don't plan to back it into a tree, I just like the way it looks, and can't wait to pick it up! 
    2021 T@b 320 Boondock | 2021 T@b Nights: 40  | 2019 Honda Ridgeline | NuCamp owner since 2017
    @Addison what part of Canada..hubby and I are from Ontario!
    Former 2017 T@G Max XL
    2021 T@B Boondock CS-S
    2018 Nissan Pathfinder
    Ontario, Canada
    @ontheroad New Brunswick 
  • dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,916
    @Addison, congratulations on the new trailer! Only your opion matters regarding your t@b. Disregard all other comments. As soon as the covid19 threat diminishes, let the adventures begin!
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.