Options

Boondocking Resource Management- Water

CrabTabCrabTab Member Posts: 457

Much of our travel involves no hook-ups at night. Electricity has been covered in great depth on the forum. I thought a discussion on water management was due. 

We have found a few hot meal ideas to help mitigate the use of water. We have been using a vacuum sealer and freezing meals at home. During travel, these frozen ‘bricks’ contribute to the cooling effect in our cooler. Being sealed, they aren’t affected by cooler ice melt. Once thawed in the fridge, we heat the bags in simmering water and serve (Bring a pair of scissors). The big advantages here are the minimal cleanup (since the pot has only had hot water in it) and home cooking. After the meal, the water can be reused for other things before it goes down the black or gray tanks.

In the last year we have found several commercial, shelf stable, ‘boil in bag’ products. All of these foods are vegetarian and say in the instructions the container/bag may be heated in boiling water. You can, of course, add a can of your favorite meat to the heated bag before serving. The first is Indian Fare foods from Trader Joe's. Below is a picture of three of the varieties. In our local store they are about $2 each.

We’ve also found the Loma Linda and Jackfruit brand products in the natural foods section of our local Kroger. They are around $3-$4 per package.

These are all now part of our 'Hurricane Food' pantry since PB&Js get old after a while and water is too precious a resource to waste on scrubbing pots and pans.  We started rotating stock by taking them to use on longer trips when the frozen vacuum sealed foods run out.

Hope we have inspired you to some divergent thoughts on meal prep and saving water…

2019 320 Boondock Edge
 - Sold Jan 2022

Comments

• Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,653
    edited March 2020
    The extremely experienced Verna showed us this idea a couple of years ago:  a pressurized spray bottle.  I fill it once in the morning, pump it up, and use it for every task that might require water:  cleaning the counter, washing and rinsing the few dishes I use, taking a "spray down" shower.  The sprayer holds 48 ounces, and even if I refill it during the day, that means the max I might use is 3/4 a gallon of water.  I keep mine clean enough I use it for water for coffee, cooking, etc. 
    If you are rinsing dishes with water pumped through your faucet and straight down the drain, you are wasting water. 
    I keep my meal prep pretty simple:  anything that creates a "greasy" film on a dish or a pot is eliminated (within reason of course!)

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    Good stuff @pthomas745. One of our sons uses a sprayer tank with the hose and wand to rinse off salt and sand from surfing or fishing on the beach. 

When boondocking we have been washing out of a basin using Aloe Vesta and a little water. It is a product used in hospitals and long term care facilities. It doesn't leave a residue and makes us feel all sparkly and clean!  :) 

2019 320 Boondock Edge
     - Sold Jan 2022
  • Options
    db_cooperdb_cooper Member Posts: 726
    For those that don't have a Trader Joe's nearby,  the "Tasty Bites"  Indian dishes are very similar, and can be boiled in the bag as well.  We use them not only at home but also backpacking.  While they include the water, they aren't too heavy for 3 -5 day backpacking trips, and we boil Uncle Ben rice bags in the same water to go with.  There are many varieties, and even if you don't like Indian food,  the Madras Lentils taste like chili, and are actually better for you.
    2015 Max S Outback | 2010 Xterra

• Options
    WilliamAWilliamA Member Posts: 154
    edited March 2020
    I also keep a supply of dry-dish meals. The Chinese menus are not bad. It's just like doing cup of soup: boil water, peel back the lid and add the water, wait a few minutes and eat.  Not many dishes. Just silverware and drinking cup.  That said, I carry up to 15 gallons of water when boondocking and have never run out.
    WilliamA
    2021 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
    2017 T@G XL
    Can generally be found around west-central Wisconsin.  
  • Options
    NoVaGuyNoVaGuy Member Posts: 95
    Maybe a dumb question, but when you are boondocking, are there places around where you can get water for the fresh water tank or do you fill up or add water at home?   May be taking my T@B 400 out for it's second weekend trip and I will not have electric or water available.
    States Visited Map

2020 T@B 400 BD Lite
  • Options
    We boondock almost exclusively, and fill the tank before we go.  You can get a bit more in if you tip the front of the trailer up, and prime all of the lines.   If we're out for more than 5 days we usually have to refill.  Most campgrounds that don't have hookups still have a water spigot, so we carry a short hose to refill.   Occasionally we have to fill containers to add water.  We carry about 10 gallons for drinking, and use the empty containers to refill the camper tank.

• Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    edited March 2020
    You will need to look around and inquire prior to leaving but there ARE areas that have RV fill up points and dump facilities around the country.  With the current national emergency however there are park and recreation areas closed.  Quartzsite, AZ has an RV pit stop for these services and there are areas that have reverse osmosis refill stations for filling up containers with safe drinking water.  But as noted above, practicing conservation techniques is the key in knowing the quantity you will need and use.  Over time you will figure things out.  I like to fill up my tank and also pack in extra 4-5 gallon containers when going off grid and also take bottled water.  Freeze dried meals are very handy and cutting back on water usage and taking Navy showers, etc. will allow you to extend your boondocking  time.  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    Thank you for the feedback.  Will be gone for a weekend.  Really, just need enough water to use the toilet.  So may drop in 5 gallons before I go.  I will carry additional drinking water for coffee, cooling and of course my puppy.
    States Visited Map

2020 T@B 400 BD Lite
  • Options
    Also,  I sanitize it at the beginning of the season even though we don't drink from it.  That way we can still use for brushing our teeth or washing dishes.  Being on a well I also add a little chlorine at each fill to keep the nasties down.

• Options
    @NoVaGuy we fill up our fresh water tank before heading 'into the wilds'. We usually don't  use the full load of water while boondocking. The extra gets pumped in to the gray water tank to help wash out the sewer hose when the tanks get dumped.

If we are within a day's drive of our destination, we fill at home. Otherwise the tank gets a few gallons for incidental use while on the road.  Other than our hose for water hookups, we carry a water jug to fill the tank with potable water from spigots. You'll develop an eye for potential tap water sources, it can be part of the adventure.

2019 320 Boondock Edge
     - Sold Jan 2022
  • Options
    @CrabTab Didn't think about filling from a jug.  Tank has a hose connection but I guess I can use a jug as well.  Thanks!

States Visited Map

2020 T@B 400 BD Lite
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,653
    If you are in the desert southwest, just watch your water closely, especially at some of the (underfunded and need of repair) BLM and Forest Service campgrounds. The west is watching water very closely during the drought years, even though it has lessened over the last couple of years. Water may not be available at some of them.   It just pays to have that 11 gallon tank on my trailer full before any trip.
    West of the 100th Meridian?  Carry water!
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    Good point @pthomas745 about water West of the 100th Meridian. Our home base is on the 76th Meridian. Most of our trips to the western high desert areas have been with a tent, although the CrabTab made it there and back last Sept & Oct!

If you find getting water into your fresh water tank difficult with a water jug @NoVaGuy (many folks do), look up beer bong for some ideas...  ;)

2019 320 Boondock Edge
     - Sold Jan 2022
  • Options
    morey000morey000 Member Posts: 155
    I always fill my 11gal fresh water tank with filtered water from my house before the trip.  Plus- I take 1 or 2 extra 6gal containers strapped to my front rack for boondocking- with a siphon hose.  I've found that two of us can use <4 gal/day for cooking, drinking, flushing and a navy shower. So- can get 2-1/2 to 3 days out of the fresh water tank if we really try.  Bringing along 12 more gallons gets us to 5-6 days safely.  Can't run out of water in the desert!  

If I had any request/complaint about the T@B320 design, is that I would want a larger fresh water tank.  
    Silver on Silver, 320S '19 Outback Lite
  • Options
    NomadPilgrimNomadPilgrim Member Posts: 111
    You can always use the "puppy pad toilet" to save on using toilet water.
    2016 T@B Maxx CS-S  following a 2008 4Runner Ltd

Be brave. Take risks. Nothing can substitute experience.-
    Paulo Coelho
  • Options
    JeffroNCJeffroNC Member Posts: 366
    We have found our Berkey to be a big help. We pour whatever water is available into it and it becomes drinking water. This helps me feel confident about drinking from the fresh tank or any potable spigot.
    I only wish it were smaller but it has saved us from buying many bottles of water. It was expensive so I don't leave it outside unattended. Just saying.
    2019 T@B 400 BDL 2017 F150 3.5L Ecoboost
    Jeff & Amy
    Now in Manistee, MI

• Options
    fishergaryfishergary Member Posts: 12
    In our new 2019 320S, I'm in the process of installing a second 10 gallon fresh water tank, so should have ~ 21 gal total. I'm shifting the grey water tank over slightly, moving the existing 11 gal fresh tank forward, and putting the new 10 gal tank behind it. I'm connecting the 2 tanks together with 2x 3/4" short sections through uniseals in the corners of the tanks. I'll create a post with pictures of the process and let everyone know how it works out.
    Additionally, I'm putting in an Airhead compost toilet to eliminate water for flushing, and swapping the shower head for a 1.5gpm High Sierra head.
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,500
    I know Mandy Lea had the factory install additional water tanks under their front closet floor in their 320 S.  They did not have the wet bath.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio