Alde system winterized and running off propane

Hi Folks,

I winterized the Alde by driaing all the water out and then filling the fresh water tank with 3 gallons of RV antifreeze, then pumped it through the shower and sink taps. We are at the point where we want to go do some boondocking but don't want to de-winterize yet.

I'm pretty sure you can still run the Alde off propane for heat (no water) and not damage anything?
Also what happens if say the propane runs out at night while running the heater, will the system just auto shut down safely?

Comments

• ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    edited March 2020
    Yes, and yes.

The only thing is to be sure that the Alde bypass valves were set correctly when you put the antifreeze into the system.

Alde doesn't think that antifreeze should be in contact with the heater core/hot water tank, so it should be run 'dry' in this case.

It does shut down gracefully.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,420
    edited March 2020
    You can run the Alde without water in the tank, just have the bypass (red) handle set to vertical and turn off the hot water on the control panel.  The propane (and electric) burner heats the glycol, not the water directly.  
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • OmniphilOmniphil Member Posts: 50
    Denny16 said:
    You can run the Alde without water in the tank, just have the bypass off, and turn off the hot water on the control panel.  The propane (and electric) burner heats the glycol, not the water directly.  
    cheers
    Would that be Bypass on? (Water is being bypassed and not going into the tank)
  • ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,396
    I think "on" or "off" is subject to interpretation.  :-)
    The bypass valve should be OPEN. The valves on lines running to and from the Alde hot water tank should be CLOSED.
    2015 T@B S
  • Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,420
    Thanks, open/closed, but bypass vale handle set to vertical position, normal is horizontal.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.