Distance set up and orientation

KeagriverKeagriver Member Posts: 18
Hi from Merrymeeting Bay, in Maine. We are very excited to be taking delivery of our brand new T@b 320 S BD Edge this week. We had been hemming and hawing, and in early February pulled the plug and stepped into the teardrop world. Of course, we didn’t anticipate that when the time came to take delivery it would have to be a distance thing!

What are the best you tube videos for getting started? We’ve watched all of the Mandy Lea videos, and some others.  This Forum has been exhaustive, and the FB group is also useful. We spent many decades backpacking, kayak and canoe camping, and mountaineering, but this is a first time in an RV. 
Thanks!

2020 T@b 320 S BD Edge,
2018 Toyota 4Runner 
Bowdoinham, Maine

Comments

• GatorEggGatorEgg Member Posts: 449
    I’m more of a doer than watcher.  When you can, take the thing someplace and have an adventure.  Whether it’s a “fun” time or not, it will be an adventure.  And you’ll learn something.  So many live their adventures through the videos on the net.  Don’t buy a bunch of things others tell you to.  Go out and see what you really need first.
    ”If it’s gonna happen, it’s gonna happen out there”, Captain Ron.
    2022 TAB 400 Boondock, 2019 Toyota Tacoma Sport 4x4
    2018 TAB 320 Boondock (previous)
    Odessa, Fl.  

• KeagriverKeagriver Member Posts: 18
    Thanks @GatorEgg! We’ve got some adventures planned as soon as allowed (maybe some extended driveway time during this shutdown business).
    2020 T@b 320 S BD Edge,
    2018 Toyota 4Runner 
    Bowdoinham, Maine
  • pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,604
    You will have manuals for the fridge, the Alde, TV, etc.  Videos are nice, and can show you where the buttons are, etc...but nothing substitutes for standing there in front of the equipment, pressing buttons with a purpose.  It will take some time and practice...
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • nhmikenhmike Member Posts: 94
    Yup, just do it.  Your going to love it.  It seems we learn something new on every trip, and that’s part of the fun.
    2016 cs-s max
  • HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,491
    Congratulations @Keagriver and welcome to the Tab family! Ladybug, my 2017 320S, is my first trailer and I read everything I could before she was delivered. Turns out hands on learning was a better teacher, and I haven’t regretted any of it for a moment! You will get a manual for your Tab, and each appliance has it’s own and some are also online. There’s a learning curve to it all but I promise that a year from now most of it will be second nature to you. Driveway camp, spend time learning and using each system and ask as many questions as you need to! BTW my personal theory is that
    my goof ups are my future campfire stories! Enjoy your journey!
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
    Thanks everybody, I got a walk-through today, picked up and drove home with our brand new T@b 320. Were pretty darned excited!
    2020 T@b 320 S BD Edge,
    2018 Toyota 4Runner 
    Bowdoinham, Maine
    edited April 2020
    I'll add one more thing to the pile:  if you don't know how to manage a battery outside of an automobile that requires your direct attention to survive, start reading up on your battery.  What battery do you have?  How do you monitor your state of charge?  How does it charge up?
    A battery in a trailer is like one of those digital pet toys from back in the day (Tomogatchi).  Don't feed it, don't watch it, and it dies.  And everything in the trailer (in cases when  you are not plugged in to shore power) depends on it.
    2017 Outback

A battery in a trailer is like one of those digital pet toys from back in the day (Tomogatchi).  Don't feed it, don't watch it, and it dies.  And everything in the trailer (in cases when  you are not plugged in to shore power) depends on it.
    I asked the dealer about the battery, a marine battery. He said don’t worry about, he’s seen them come back fine from being dead.  I think your advice is better 🤔
    2020 T@b 320 S BD Edge,
    2018 Toyota 4Runner 
    Bowdoinham, Maine
    Your dealer isn't completely wrong, they can (and do) come back from occasional lapses.    And, things happen.  But, it is so much easier to avoid the whole issue.  Another one of those "takes a bit of practice" sorts of things.
    2017 Outback
  • ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,391
    edited April 2020
    Keagriver said:

I asked the dealer about the battery, a marine battery. He said don’t worry about, he’s seen them come back fine from being dead.  I think your advice is better 🤔
    Uh-huh. And when it doesn't "come back fine from being dead" I'll bet he's more than willing to sell you another one!  ;-)
    2015 T@B S
  • trimtabtrimtab Member Posts: 237
    Best Battery to replace the "stock" on in a 2019 T@B 400? Going through "social distancing" in the buying process from a dealer in Oregon this Sunday. They are installing a a Solar kit...
    2020 320-S boondock, solar, 2020 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E
  • trimtabtrimtab Member Posts: 237
    thanks and good luck everyone!
    2020 320-S boondock, solar, 2020 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E
  • CbusguyCbusguy Member Posts: 771
    edited April 2020
    Correct me if I am wrong......but the 2019 400s had an agm battery installed by the factory in them?

Weren't they supposed to last 3-5 years?

@ScottG I was thinking the same thing.

Run it dead once you will probably get away with it.....and every time after that the chance of recovery drops off exponentially.

I wouldn't put a battery tender on it or leave it plugged in all of the time.    But at least check on it and top it up monthly
    2009 GMC Canyon,   3.7 liter 
    2020 320s Boondock lite, With Lots of mods
    Ok, this is all good advice. For those of us who are brand newbies, a few questions:

i. Is there a manual online someplace for best practices of battery maintenance?
    ii. It seems like I should have a battery monitor. Is there a recommended brand/model?
    iii. I have a 320s. Is a 100w solar suitcase adequate?

thanks in advance.
    2020 T@b 320 S BD Edge,
    2018 Toyota 4Runner 
    Bowdoinham, Maine
  • ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,391
    edited April 2020
    @Keagriver, grab a cup of coffee, buckle in, and start searching and reading. There are MANY threads on this forum discussing these topics over the last several years.
    Be warned, though--there are also MANY opinions. You will come away better educated but probably no closer to a simple answer than when you started!  :-)
    2015 T@B S
    edited April 2020
    Try a battery FAQ.  Read it over, bookmark it, use it for reference.  Scott points out the endless "opinions", and here is a safe harbor for fact checking. 
    Another good place to start, and a great reference.  Ms Grover's blog is what straightened me out on how to handle a battery.
    I have a 100 watt panel, and it works fine for me. 
    PS:  Open up your battery box, and make a note of the brand and model of your battery. Find out how many "Amp Hours" it is rated for.

2017 Outback