Anybody use a Jack-E-Up Removable Jack

Has anybody used a Jack-E-Up removable jack adapter?  If I can lose the jack while traveling I could get a double hitch adapter and then use my bike rack attached to the truck.  Would love to hear any thoughts about whether the Jack-E-Up works or not.  

Comments

• gspdxgspdx Member Posts: 208
    I use it.  I like it and really appreciate being able to remove the jack when traveling.  A few things to note:
    1. Because of the style of the hitch I found that this device wouldn't sit flush on my hitch/frame.  So I bought some longer bolts - high strength - and some steel spacers to lift the device up.
    2. Due to lifting the device up it shortens the effective lift of the jack.  Haven't had any issues yet due to this but wouldn't be surprised if it causes an issue trying to level at some point or even trying to unhitch from my truck.
    3. The plate of the jack "floats" inside the metal carrier and just locates on the 3 notches.  It is not a big deal but good to understand that when installed the jack isn't bolted to anything so if you try to roll the trailer around it will move a bit.  
    2019 T@B 400 BDL
    2018 Ford F-150 2.7L Ecoboost with tow package
    PNW
  • jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,389
    edited May 2020
    I used it whenI had my Wrangler. I also had to use longer boots and spacers.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• trimtabtrimtab Member Posts: 237
    Interesting..when  we get our 320-s next week, I am anticipating a problem. SUV top hinged rear door...won't open without getting something like this.. 
    2020 320-S boondock, solar, 2020 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E
  • jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,389
    trimtab said:
    Interesting..when  we get our 320-s next week, I am anticipating a problem. SUV top hinged rear door...won't open without getting something like this.. 
    Not an issue with my top-hinged Grand Cherokee

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• targtarg Member Posts: 81
    The capacity to learn is a gift; The ability to learn is a skill; The willingness to learn is a choice. | -REBEC OF GINAZ
    2019 T@B 320S BD Lite, Jeep TJUR, Jeep JT

• gulfareagulfarea Member Posts: 504
    Instead of longer bolts I removed this area around the Jack-E-Up. Art
    2019 TaB 320 S Boondock Edge
  • gspdxgspdx Member Posts: 208
    gulfarea said:
    Instead of longer bolts I removed this area around the Jack-E-Up. Art
    The problem for me was the bolts are the ones that secure the hitch to the trailer frame.  I don't have a platform that is in the way.  I could have tried to drill new holes in the Jack-E-Up but I don't believe that all the bolts are completely under the Jack-E-Up housing.  Didn't really look that closely but might be worth a quick inspection.
    2019 T@B 400 BDL
    2018 Ford F-150 2.7L Ecoboost with tow package
    PNW
  • gandegande Member Posts: 91
    We pull our 400 with a Ram 1500 pickup. There was interference with the standard mount jack when lowering the tailgate so to avoid damage I installed the jack-e-up. It’s pretty easy to use and has the added benefit of preventing damage to the caster or footplate when going over dips or going in and out of the driveway. 
    gande

2018 T@b 400
    2019 Ram 1500 crew cab / 5.7 V8
  • rharderrharder Member Posts: 12
    Thank you everybody.  I'm still looking for the perfect solution to carry bikes.  If I had my druthers, I'd somehow have a bike rack that fits on the trailer allowing me to open the tailgate of the truck and the lid of the storage compartment.  And then it would be able to also install into the 2" hitch on the truck in case we want to take the bikes somewhere while camping.  This is giving me serious brain freeze.
  • ArwenArwen Member Posts: 68
    edited June 2020
    I purchased the Ultimate Jack from my local Tractor Supply store last year, mainly so that we could carry our bikes easily, without having to buy a second bike rack just for the T@B 320.  Another advantage is that we often want to transport the bikes to a bikepath for a day's ride, while leaving the camper at a campground.
    Plus, our 320 is the Boondock model, and there were times where the stock jack did not extend enough to get the camper level, without adding several inches of blocking under the jack's wheel, which was a bit difficult. This has not been an issue with the Ultimate Jack, as it extends much further.  And I prefer the plate over the jack wheel, as it is more stable (doesn't move when jacking up). The stock jack's wheel does fit, if needed/wanted.

Arwen: Northern NH; 2018 T@B 320S Boondock, silver/blue; TV: blue 2018 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
  • GrandmasKidGrandmasKid Member Posts: 159
    gspdx said:
    I use it.  I like it and really appreciate being able to remove the jack when traveling.  A few things to note:
    1. Because of the style of the hitch I found that this device wouldn't sit flush on my hitch/frame.  So I bought some longer bolts - high strength - and some steel spacers to lift the device up.
    2. Due to lifting the device up it shortens the effective lift of the jack.  Haven't had any issues yet due to this but wouldn't be surprised if it causes an issue trying to level at some point or even trying to unhitch from my truck.
    3. The plate of the jack "floats" inside the metal carrier and just locates on the 3 notches.  It is not a big deal but good to understand that when installed the jack isn't bolted to anything so if you try to roll the trailer around it will move a bit.  

I want to install the Jack-E-Up on our new 2021 400 Boondock and I see that I'll need the longer bolts and spacers. May I get what size bolts I'll need? I'm not familiar with bolt sizes and don't want to disassemble the jack, take the bolts down to a hardware store in this time of COVID, and try to figure it out with someone who may not know anymore about it than I do. I think it would be much easier and safer to order the longer bolts and spacers on-line. Also what should I use for spacers? I appreciate any assistance you can offer.
    2021 400 Boondock/ 2021 Toyota Tacoma Off Road
  • rcarlson1957rcarlson1957 Member Posts: 178
    Been using mine for a year with a travel valet jack that’s let’s me use my drill to raise and lower (or manually). Quick and easy. Tailgate no longer an issue now. 
    2018 TAB 320S Silver/Black w/Dandelions
    2020 Honda Ridgeline RTL (AWD) Lunar Silver Metallic
    Rick and Barbara - North Texas 
    More Smiles Per Mile! B)
    Enjoy doing and sharing mods
  • I use the ultimate jack linked above. I bought the jack-e-up first but that's now sitting in a garage cabinet.  I like the ultimate jack best. 
  • PixandMsBeePixandMsBee Member Posts: 34

Arwen said:
    I purchased the Ultimate Jack from my local Tractor Supply store last year, mainly so that we could carry our bikes easily, without having to buy a second bike rack just for the T@B 320.  Another advantage is that we often want to transport the bikes to a bikepath for a day's ride, while leaving the camper at a campground.
    Plus, our 320 is the Boondock model, and there were times where the stock jack did not extend enough to get the camper level, without adding several inches of blocking under the jack's wheel, which was a bit difficult. This has not been an issue with the Ultimate Jack, as it extends much further.  And I prefer the plate over the jack wheel, as it is more stable (doesn't move when jacking up). The stock jack's wheel does fit, if needed/wanted.

I see that you have removed the ultimate jack completely from the tongue, does it just pull straight up and out as long as there is not a foot, wheel etc attached to the bottom? This is the first photo I have been able to find of the Ultimate Jack completely removed.    Thanks!

2022 T@B 320-S Boondock Edition

2022 Outback Limited XT

SOK 100ah LiFeP04 Battery