Options

T@B in our future?.....

ccallisccallis Member Posts: 9
Hi, my name is Cheryl. My husband and I plan to retire in October. Our dream has always been to tour the national parks. We have always tent camped and thinking of moving up. I read blog about traveling in a T@B and I am very excited that this may be the answer for us. We have a 2013 Subaru Outback with towing weight of 2700. Now we need advice. Husband in over 6',  a big problem? He thinks not. Outside or inside kitchen? Is shower  worth loss of storage?the extra weight.

Comments

• Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,394
    The height thing seems to be a very a very personal matter. Many over 6' have no problems. I know my brother, 6' 3", would never last since he tends to get claustrophobic.

I am not sure if the bed on the clamshell is longer or not, but I prefer the indoor kitchen in case of bad weather or late dinners.

I am a big fan of the wetbath. National Parks don't tend to have showers, or at least not easily accessible, so I really like being able to feel like a human. I also like not having to get dressed to run to the bathroom if I need to go in the middle of the night...or having an unplanned encounter with a bear in the dark. :) I have used it for quick roadside stops when there was no bathroom in site for a long time, too. The bathrooms can be pretty sparse out west!

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    Thank you Jkjenn. That was helpful , just what I hoping for.
  • Options
    bgualtieribgualtieri Member Posts: 272
    To stand up inside the T@b you have to be <5'8". The bed would work though some have put in extensions. With an inside kitchen you get more bed area. Originally I thought I wouldn't care for the bathroom but I'm totally agreeing with Jen now after a few weekends camping. We love our T@b S!
    2015 T@b S Max | 2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited | was PHX East Valley, now Dallas!
  • Options
    Thanks Patti and bgualtieri . This is making me rethink  the inside kitchen and bathroom. Originally thought bathroom just a luxury.
  • Options
    leenscottflleenscottfl Member Posts: 254
    If you consider having indoor plumbing at 2am when it is raining and freezing a luxury, your were correct!  Like somany others we were long time tenters and loved it. Now we kinda wonder why.
    Scott, Orange Park, Florida...2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara... 2015 T@B S Maxx "Buttercup".
  • Options
    leenscottflleenscottfl Member Posts: 254
    Oh forgot. We still cook outside when weather permits. And use campground facilities when available.
    Scott, Orange Park, Florida...2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara... 2015 T@B S Maxx "Buttercup".
  • Options

leenscottfl, you are right about middle of the night. It is getting harder to hoist myself off the ground and head out to the bathroom at 2am.

• Options
    bgualtieribgualtieri Member Posts: 272
    Yes, that's the best part. We now have choices! We can eat and cook outside (a little butane stove) OR we can get out of the weather if necessary and use the nifty two-burner stove inside. Great for that morning cuppa coffee.
    2015 T@b S Max | 2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited | was PHX East Valley, now Dallas!
  • Options
    DurangoTaBDurangoTaB Member Posts: 754
    I'm 6'1" and sleep on the starboard side, if I stretch my feet hang a little over the edge...not a problem .(at least for me).  My wife is only 5'.  We love the T@B and all the features...

J.D. & Sue

Durango, CO    2014/15 S M@xx :  "Dory's HabiT@B"  Keep on swimming...