Sawdust/debris on floor after transporting 2006 DM T@b

mdomb529mdomb529 Member Posts: 39
Has anyone else noticed what looks like sawdust on the floor of their T@b after transporting it?  Any idea of the source of this debris?  It seems to be there after every time I transport the camper for any distance greater than a few miles.  I will try to post a picture later. 
Matt
Appleton, Wisconsin
2006 Dutchmen T@B ("Fuego")
TV: 2007 Nissan Pathfinder

Comments

• Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,420
    What does it look like, small round dark or uniform particles or large odd shape bits?  If the former you may have bugs somewhere...
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • CamakCamak Member Posts: 15
    Carpenter ants building stuff while you travel or have you vacuumed out all of the compartments under the cushions etc? I found a lot of sawdust in those areas
  • Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,460
    The trailer is 14 years old.  By now, the construction debris has cleared.  I agree with Denny16 - there is a wood floor attractive to bugs.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • mdomb529mdomb529 Member Posts: 39
    Here's a picture. I'd vacuumed right before towing it about 45 miles, and this is what it looked like immediately after. I figured it was the result of wood rubbing against other wood in the bench. Any tips in case bugs are involved? 
    Matt
    Appleton, Wisconsin
    edited June 2020
    Looks like you might have termites, you need to take that bench apart, and see where they are.  Best solution is to remove and replace the infected wood.  Also look to see if this fell from the ceiling.  Your other, better option, is to have a exterminator tent and gas the trailer to kill the little buggers.  But this leaves damaged wood behind.  Spiders you will see from their webs, could be roaches too, wait until dark then go out to the trailer and use a flashlight to see if can see them running around, or set some bait traps.  In any case, an exterminator can tell what bugs you have.  Good luck
    cheers
    I have an exterminator (my cousin) coming by next week.  He thinks it's probably ants based on the region we're in, but he'll confirm next week.  Thanks for pointing me in this direction, as it hadn't occurred to me.  I see an occasional spider and flying noseeum in the camper, but I've not seen much evidence of other bugs, so this cause hadn't occurred to me. 
    Matt
    Appleton, Wisconsin
    Can you open the top of the bench and look for more debris?
    Yep - and there is more debris in there.
    Matt
    Appleton, Wisconsin
    Is your floor spongy?
    I wouldn't say it's spongy.  The linoleum is a little loose, but the floor underneath seems solid.
    Matt
    Appleton, Wisconsin
  • MouseketabMouseketab Member Posts: 1,230
    It may also be dust coming in through the wheel wells. Check the seals around the wheel wells both under the benches, and under the fenders.
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2007 Dutchmen T@B Clamshell #2741
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    2021 F-150 502A Lariat SuperCrew, 3.5 EcoBoost 4x2
    Harvest, AL
    Thanks for the recommendation.  I just had the whole camper re-caulked, but I'll take a look to confirm.
    Matt
    Appleton, Wisconsin
    @mdomb529 - did you find out the cause of the debris?  
    The exterminator found ants (carpenter) and attributed the debris to them.  We're treating for them, and we'll have to wait and see if that solves the problem.  He said he didn't see any signs of serious structural damage. 
    Matt
    Appleton, Wisconsin
    Curious where you park/store the TaB.  I know our new home is surrounded by oak trees and I have never seen so many ants in my life!
    Regular ants are a pest, but harmless. Carpenter Ants are destructive, and are a type of Termite, eating wood structures, leaving small tunnels in the wood.
    if left untreated, can lead to major damage in wood bits.
    cheers
  • ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    My understanding is that carpenter ants are only interested in moist wood. You might want to confirm that you don't have a leak somewhere
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya