Options

ISO Assistance - 7 pin connection for 2017 BMW X5

Hi T@b family!

I am in search of some assistance.  I recently purchased a 2017 BMW X5 (and am throughly enjoying it thus far).  The purpose of the purchase was for space, tow capacity and to give my 2 puppers extra space on long journeys.  When I bought the car from the BMW dealership they noted for what I am towing it wouldn't be worth me spending the $3,000 price tag the dealership would charge and instead they recommended an auto body shop that would do it for $800.  Well after getting off the phone with said auto body shop I am thoroughly disappointed as they noted they would not do the work noting the electrical wiring is not worth it for them and if I found someone to do it I may result in having electrical issues down the line. 

What kills me is I did my homework before I bought this car and know it is possible.  I have watched the installations on the hitch receivers and the ZCI Circuit Protected Wiring Harness and even feel this DIY'er can get that part done, but the ZCI is only a 4 pin so I would run into issues finding a break controller and have yet to see any installation videos for that.

Here's where I am hoping this great big family of mine can come into play and help me out with...  Is anyone towing their t@b with a 2017 BMW X5?  If so, who did your trailer work (7 pin, brake controller & hitch installation)?  If you did it yourself did you run into any know or unforeseen issues? Did you also have a sway controller installed?  Have you since had any issues with your setup? 

I am ultimately praying I didn't make a bad decision buying this BMW and that someone here can turn my newly installed frown upside down!

Thanks in advance for your time and assistance!

Comments

• Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,432
    When I had my Jeep Renegade, I ran into the same issue trying to get a Curt Echo to work with the 4-pin setup.  My trailer service center showed me a 4-pin tp 7-pin fixed adapter setup, which requires a 12VDC “charging” wire connection to the vehicle battery harness.  The 12VDC connection on the 7-pin is what the Bluetooth type brake controller uses for power.  Not a hard job, but doable depending on your vehicle wiring harness setup.

The 4-pin trailer setup does not have a constant 12VDC power source to it, only lights and brakes, which only work when the vehicle lights are working.  Vehicle owner draw on its lighting circuits on new cars is very touchy, and many are computer controlled.  This is why you can not just tap the taillight circuit for the 12VDC power connection, it has to be a “battery charging” circuit connection.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,525
    edited July 2020
    I would contact etrailer for direction.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,603
    edited July 2020
    { TV } 2017 BMW X5 
    . . . auto body shop. . .  would not do the work noting the electrical wiring is not worth it for them

. . .  ZCI {wire harness} is only a 4-pin so I would run into issues finding a break controller
    Disclaimer:  No direct experience with BMW X5

That said, after reviewing the e-Trailer web-site what you are asking/need is very doable and within DIY skill set.  If you personally lack the skills suggest you purchase the parts then locate a utility trailer shop or even a friendly RV service department to install items on your BMW.  Those guys do "adding towing stuff" all the time while standard auto shops don't.

From your overall description it sounds like you need to add following to your BMW X5.
      + trailer hitch receiver
      + A ZCI circuit protected control box for lights.
      + Add/Run a 10-AWG wire from battery to rear of BMW (with an in-line fuse)
      + Install a 4-pin to 7-pin convertor (because available  ZCI boxes are 4-pin)
      + purchase a wireless trailer Brake Controller, several different brands will work.

Overall set-up would be something like:

edit 7/11/7PM added +12V to ZCI Box
    '18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,432
    edited July 2020
    Yes, that is the setup my trailer depot recommended for the Jeep Renegade, for the same reasons.  A trailer shop,that does trailer wiring and installs, can run the battery wire for you.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    BonalexanderBonalexander Member Posts: 26
    edited July 2020
    🤦🏼‍♀️ I didn’t realize this response I wrote hours ago didn’t post! Regardless thank Denny and MuttonChops!

******response from earlier today********

As much as I didn't intend today to be a day in front of the computer searching for this it was my reality and I did come across the stealth hitches which includes a 7 pin that plugs directly into the X5 canBUS.  It comes with a hefty price tag in itself at either $900 or $1400 depending on if you want the camera zoom functionality to back up to the ball hitch with ease. 

I am going to be calling some shops that Stealth recommends, but hadn’t even thought to talk to an RV shop that does this more so than a regular auto body shop.  Great suggestion!

• Options
    BonalexanderBonalexander Member Posts: 26
    I would contact etrailer for direction.
    They actually have a very awesome and detailed step-by-step YouTube video regarding the installation of the trailer hitch receiver and zci contactless wire harness.