Options

A Self Inflicted Problem...

So I had a very simple mod go bad. I installed a shut off valve at the wall in the bath where the water line for the toilet attaches. Very simple, easy mod, right? Well, my first campout I had water leaking. Second trip, more leaking and some spray. Might have two issues. Toilet is functional using a jug of water to flush. That’s the most important thing! I have been able to remove the water hose, however the shut off valve is stuck on the wall outlet. I may have
somehow cross threaded it, but it will not come off. The only way I can get it to turn is with a wrench. It won’t turn by hand. I really don’t want to strip out the plastic threads on the pipe at the wall. Any ideas to remove this valve? Thanks!
2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red

Comments

• Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,426
    edited July 2020
    Unfortunately, if it is cross-threaded the threads on the plastic stub are probably already toast. The valve needs to come back off anyway, so at this point I would probably just force it, but I'd take care to support/restrain the stub so as not to torque and break anything further back. There's not really a lot of substance to these plumbing systems...
    Once you get the valve off you can make a better assessment as to why it is leaking and whether the stub is salvageable. There are different kinds of threaded fittings (e.e.g, tapered vs. not) so the leak might just be a matter of having two incompatible fittings.
    Maybe/hopefully somebody else has a better idea! Good luck and please report back what you find.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,445
    If the pipe stud is a male thread, then get a union (female to male) and glue the female threaded side to the stub pipe to fix a cross thread.  This adds about 2-3 inches to fitting length.  A small ball valve is the best one to use.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,496
    @ScottG and @Denny16 I had Bug at the dealer today. The tech was able to remove the valve, fix the threads(they have a tool for this) and reconnect it properly. I had cross threaded it. He also removed the toilet and confirmed that the control valve in the back was broken and spraying water. I had him put it all back together so it can be used, adding water from a jug as needed to flush. They have to order the part, and parts are taking time to arrive with covid backlogs. The best news is that I have an extended warranty that should cover all this! Thanks for your input! 
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red