Battery drain while on shore power

NoVaGuyNoVaGuy Member Posts: 95
Why might I be showing a battery drain while on shore power?  Only thing on AC (cycling) and fridge with electric (A) selected?
States Visited Map

2020 T@B 400 BD Lite

Comments

• HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,491
    @NoVaGuy your Tab has a few phantom power draws, and there are mods to stop them. The television (little blue light) draws power when off. I bought a power switch  for it, took a few minutes to install. The Jensen radio is also a phantom draw, and if you search this forum you will find a few ideas for stopping this, too. There might be more, but these are the two I know about. Another thing that is helpful for getting the correct answer for your issues is to add the model and year of your Tab to your signature so we can give more accurate answers. Great question! 

2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,497
    When you say drain, how are you seeing this drain? What are you using to monitor the battery? If the battery is being drained by electrics on the 12v circuits and it’s not being replenished by the converter you may have a bad converter. 
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • NoVaGuyNoVaGuy Member Posts: 95
    see I am seeing a SOC of 73%, a 1.6 amp drain on my Victron.  Am connected to shore power.  AC running.  Jensen and TV disconnected
    States Visited Map

2020 T@B 400 BD Lite
  • pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,605
    Do you have the inverter switched on?
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,461
    What was the SOC when you plugged in?  Is your battery switch on?
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • rh5555rh5555 Member Posts: 484
    edited August 2020
    Are you sure it's a drain, not a 1.6 Amp charge?  If it really is a drain, then the converter isn't doing its thing.  Most likely is the 15 Amp (120V) breaker that supplies the converter has tripped.  This the pink circle on the left side of the WFCO 8955 unit.  Next thing to check are the 2 fuses on the output of the converter:  They are circled in red.  Both should be intact.
    If all of these are ok, then your converter may be fried.

Roger and Sue Hill | 2020 T@B400 Boondock (Cryst@bel) | 2022 Land Rover Defender 110 - P400 | San Juan Island, WA
    edited August 2020
    Breaker and fuses are good.  Is there an issue with my Victron?  (Edited for photo size.  Sharon - Mod))

States Visited Map

2020 T@B 400 BD Lite
  • Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,420
    edited August 2020
    The best way to find out is to meter the battery terminals with AC/DC converter on and again with it off. Then switch battery disconnect off wait 15-30 min and Meter battery in resting state.  If you are getting about the same reading and voltage is more than 12.5-13 VDC than battery is charged.   With everything off, check Victron battery monitor for voltage reading.  Does this match the direct meter reading?  If yes, than Victron is OK.
    cheers 
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,461
    Should that say Starter Battery?
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    How long have you had the Victron monitor? Is this a new issue? There are settings for battery size and type that need to be set in the Victron app initially.
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
  • rh5555rh5555 Member Posts: 484
    Simple Test:
    With shore power connected, disconnect the battery with the battery disconnect switch.
    Do any of the cabin lights work now?  If they don't, then you have a failed converter (or wiring). 
    If they do work, then I need to think some more...  Either way, check the BMV reads zero Amps before you reconnect the battery.
    Roger and Sue Hill | 2020 T@B400 Boondock (Cryst@bel) | 2022 Land Rover Defender 110 - P400 | San Juan Island, WA
    @N7SHG_Ham the monitor was working, then had a glitch.  Maybe need to double check settings first
    States Visited Map

2020 T@B 400 BD Lite
    Yes, that might help, also you should not have a starter battery reading, unless you connected a second battery to the monitor, or set the mid point between two 6VDC batteries, and the monitor is miss reading this, or,the connection is wrong?
    @Denny16 I was wondering about the starter battery indication.  That was not there in the past.  I will do a search on here for the Victron Settings, and set up the monitor again.  I lost the connection to the solar monitor as well.  That one is a pain as you need to access under the bed and be a contortionist to read the code.  
    States Visited Map

2020 T@B 400 BD Lite
  • TNOutbackTNOutback Member Posts: 633
    edited August 2020
    @NoVaGuy you may need to go through all the BMV settings to ensure you are matching up with the specs for the batteries.  You may also need to disconnect the batteries and do a reset on the Victron once you know you are at 100% charge. Specs for the Harris batts can be found in several forum posts - if those are indeed the batts in your camper.  Here are the settings I’ve put into mine:

@NoVaGuy, Just unscrew the MPPT from the wall and use your phone camera to shoot the code, mine was on the back of the unit.  Also, check all the wire connections, ting on the MPPT wires, and the wires to and from the Shunt, along with all battery wires.  I found a crimp in terminal on one of my battery wires that was loose!  It can look like a good connection, but a slight tug pulled the wire right out of the lug. 
    Cheers
    @TNOutback
    Thanks.  those are the specs I also found.  I will update the monitor this week when I go to clean out the camper from the weekend.  
    States Visited Map

2020 T@B 400 BD Lite